Woman missed the boat (Jade) in Corfu

RickT

We were locked out of our safe once and the security folks sent one of their people to open it. While your room steward doesn't have a key or a way to open it, the security staff does. In our case there was a special tool they used to open it.

You don't have the same fourth amendment search and seizure rights regarding your personal effects as you do in the US while on the high seas or in a foreign port. No probable cause, and no warrants needed to search your cabin while you are away. Bermuda and the Bahamas have had local police boarding the ship and searching cabins while the passengers are on shore. Returning passengers who had marijuana or other drugs in their cabin are then arrested and taken off the boat. Usually a $1,000 to $2,000 fine puts things right and you are allowed to re-board.

Yipes. But also why in the hell would some folk take their weed on a cruise? With all the foreign ports visited it's just a recipe for disaster. Imagine it was Jamaica for somewhere, they could be well screwed. Beggars belief that people would pay out the kinda money you do for a cruise and then do anything stupid that could jeopardize the cruise, and or their freedoms!!!

Jinglette and I once missed the NCL Star in Mexico. This ship was either in Mazatlan traveling to PV, or reversed, I can't remember as it's been many years ago. We were having a great time and were quite surprised to see the ship out in the bay. It happens and we both got a huge case of the giggles at our error. Liberal consumption of beer and margaritas may have been involved.:D

In our case it wasn't that big of a deal. We booked into a hotel, booked a flight for the next morning and met up with the ship. We never did speak to a port agent. No one removed anything from our safe. In fact, no one even mentioned that we missed the ship the next day when we reboarded. I know we had our passports with us as we always carry them in a foreign port in case something like this does happen. A copy is useless.

I could always get Jinglette to smile by mentioning this occasion. She had been a nervous traveler, and missing the ship seemed to show her the world wasn't going to end if something went awry....... It still makes me smile as well. Hi ho.

Has anyone actually experienced this? While I was on a Celerity cruise, someone asked the Captain about this and he replied they didn't open passenger safes because of the liability involved if something went missing.

Had dinner with the Staff Captain on the Pearl a few years ago and I asked him this question.

He said they do NOT go to passengers safe and remove passports to leave with a port agent.

They will not take the risk that the person is on the ship and their card did not register in the computer.

Lois

Had dinner with the Staff Captain on the Pearl a few years ago and I asked him this question.

He said they do NOT go to passengers safe and remove passports to leave with a port agent.

They will not take the risk that the person is on the ship and their card did not register in the computer.

That seems correct.

We were on the Gem in June and they were calling three passengers names in the 20 minutes or so before we left Nassau. The next day, at the "meet the officers" function, I asked the captain if they had left three passengers behind. He said the system showed one person missing, a young girl. They had been paging the girl and her parents. Turns out they were all on board, the young girl's seapass card hadn't been scanned when they returned to the ship.

Now, in the event of a medical emergency, I can see where they might try to retrieve one's passport from the room -- possibly even pack their belongings.

But in the chaotic last half-hour or so before a ship leaves port there's no way they're going to enter someone's room and look for their passports.

In my case our passports are never in the safe -- they're always safely packed (i.e., hidden) in my carry-on backpack.

Just as a side note, going into the safe to retrieve a passport may not always be necessary. I know when we cruised in Europe on Celebrity as US citizens, we had to hand over out passports for them to hold for the duration of the cruise. I assumed it had to do with completing customs requirements since we were departing and returning to a foreign country. So, if someone saw the port authority holding someone's passport before that might have just been an instance when the cruise company had already had the passport. That being said, I agree it seems like it could be a huge liability for them to hand your passport off to the port authority based on them thinking you are not on the ship. Like others said, possibly there was a computer error or scanner error and it just didn't register when you got on and now they left your passport behind.

It seems to be that on European cruises it is becoming more of a requirement that you have your passport with you when going ashore. I would certainly not want to be left in any foreign country without it. In Europe it is almost always a requirement to getting a room, let alone transportation to the next destination (country). I cannot say for a fact that NCL does or does not leave important documents (passport/credit card) with the port agent but I do know of at least one other cruise line that does. If I were ever unfortunate enough to miss a ship I would hope that if my passport was not on my person that it would indeed be left with the port agent.

Rochelle

Just as a side note, going into the safe to retrieve a passport may not always be necessary. I know when we cruised in Europe on Celebrity as US citizens, we had to hand over out passports for them to hold for the duration of the cruise. I assumed it had to do with completing customs requirements since we were departing and returning to a foreign country. So, if someone saw the port authority holding someone's passport before that might have just been an instance when the cruise company had already had the passport. That being said, I agree it seems like it could be a huge liability for them to hand your passport off to the port authority based on them thinking you are not on the ship. Like others said, possibly there was a computer error or scanner error and it just didn't register when you got on and now they left your passport behind.

I don't understand. We have been on two med cruises, two Baltic, one to Norway and one to the British isls. All on X and all as U.S. citizens. Not once were we asked surrender our passports.

Something's amiss here.

I don't understand. We have been on two med cruises, two Baltic, one to Norway and one to the British isls. All on X and all as U.S. citizens. Not once were we asked surrender our passports.

Something's amiss here.

It depends on the requirements of the country. We are also US citizens but when we cruised around the boot of Italy from Rome to Venice we had to turn our passports in to the ship since Italian officials would be checking them at every port. It was easier and faster for the ship to have them on hand instead of having all the passengers line up and go through a passport check at evety port.

Not all countries are willing to simply accept the manifest list.

Something's amiss here.

It really does depend on where the cruise goes. I have been asked for mine on European cruises that include a transatlantic crossing, on those with a stop in countries like Turkey or Isreal, among others.

On the cruises you mentioned they might not have left the EU. In the case of those that included Russia with strict requirements you need to present it as you go through immigration each time you leave the ship. Here you will also need proper Visa documentation, whether you get one yourself or a blanket one obtained through the ship or private tour.

Rochelle

This is why I always insist my husband bring a credit card! He fights me on it every time! :eek:

That is crazy I bring our ID's at least 1 CC usually a AMEX + our bank card and cash. Never know what could happen on land gotta prepare for the worst

It depends on the requirements of the country. We are also US citizens but when we cruised around the boot of Italy from Rome to Venice we had to turn our passports in to the ship since Italian officials would be checking them at every port. It was easier and faster for the ship to have them on hand instead of having all the passengers line up and go through a passport check at evety port.

Not all countries are willing to simply accept the manifest list.

The devil is in the details. One of our Med cruises was from Venice. We did not surrender our passports.

I have heard of this before but when drilled down turns out those who had to surrender were non US citizens. But you say you are.