Finally decided what I'm going to do in Nassau. What are you going to do at your next

motleyfan

Now this sounds interesting to me. Was it a ship offered excursion?

Harriet

Harriet, if you google Frommer's walking tour of Nassau, you will find awesome info and instructions on doing a self-guided walking tour. It's a great option for a free excursion. I did a modified version on my own while there.

Now this sounds interesting to me. Was it a ship offered excursion?

Harriet

I didn't see this listed through NCL. It is Tru Bahamian Food Tours and gets 5* reviews via Trip Adv.

I was interested in this since a did a similar one in Grand Cayman and loved it. Unfortunately, the Escape docks at noon and tours start at 11:30. They do take requests for special starting times though. I was thinking about asking on the roll call to see if others were interested in doing it. They offer group discounts starting at 10, which seems reasonable.

We did Blue Lagoon and we absolutely loved it. There were hammocks to lounge, a bay with serene blue waters and on the other side of the bay was the open ocean with small surf and snorkeling. There were inflatable slides and other activities to do. Lunch was good but you did have to buy drinks. It was like a private island oasis. Super family friendly. The down side was that we didn't get much time there (maybe 2 hours) and the ferry ride took a long time each way.

The 30-40 min ferry ride plus queue time is what is keeping us from returning.

We are now looking at the Hilton VS Rui.

We did Blue Lagoon and we absolutely loved it. There were hammocks to lounge, a bay with serene blue waters and on the other side of the bay was the open ocean with small surf and snorkeling. There were inflatable slides and other activities to do. Lunch was good but you did have to buy drinks. It was like a private island oasis. Super family friendly. The down side was that we didn't get much time there (maybe 2 hours) and the ferry ride took a long time each way.

If you are not interested in all inclusive, I would suggest Hilton

You do get a drink/food voucher I think, plus its right by the ship. and they do have really nice big bed loungers and a great facility. Both are fairly the same when it comes to beaches, but Hilton is a bit cheaper.

I'm definitely doing riu, I know people talk about why all inclusive when we pretty much have it on the ship, but if I know I'm going to drink I know I'm going to drink more than $40 worth so that would be a waste of money for the Hilton. Plus I know I'm going to Senor Frogs, I'm not going to buy a whole lot at Senor Frogs just want to buy a few drinks and be able to say I've been there

If you are not interested in all inclusive, I would suggest Hilton

You do get a drink/food voucher I think, plus its right by the ship. and they do have really nice big bed loungers and a great facility. Both are fairly the same when it comes to beaches, but Hilton is a bit cheaper.

Yes this is a great place. I would go back there again. Had a nice pool, loungers and a small beach. Not really a beach to go in the water but you can see the ships easily from there and it's a short walk.

The food was ok and you could also get a couple drinks with the voucher. But it was a quiet relaxing time there if you just want to go somewhere quiet and not crowded.

Harriet, if you google Frommer's walking tour of Nassau, you will find awesome info and instructions on doing a self-guided walking tour. It's a great option for a free excursion. I did a modified version on my own while there.

Thanks, I just might do that. Was thinking of staying on the ship as I've been there so many times in the past....but this does sound interesting and I love trying new foods!

Harriet

In Nassau we love Greycliff manor and John Waltings(?) rum factory. Walking distance from the ship.

Safe sailing

Oh my goodness spidybabe I thought DW and I were the only ones who did this double header! No one else ever seems to be there when we go. For extra fun if you are into cigars, book a cigar making class ($75) at Graycliff and learn how to roll cigars. I did it two trips ago and it was a blast. First one looked like a big Jamaican spliff, but the third one was pretty decent (Graycliff makes some of the best cigars on the market). Plus the pool there is fantastic. The Watlings distillery is a pretty short visit but the bar there is great if you like frozen daiquiris.

Last trip we did the Tru Bahamian walking food tour which was a lot of fun, but you have to be able to really walk some ways.

We will be back at Thanksgiving and I think we will hit Graycliff and Watlings again. Twenty minutes walk there and back

Oh my goodness spidybabe I thought DW and I were the only ones who did this double header! No one else ever seems to be there when we go. For extra fun if you are into cigars, book a cigar making class ($75) at Graycliff and learn how to roll cigars. I did it two trips ago and it was a blast. First one looked like a big Jamaican spliff, but the third one was pretty decent (Graycliff makes some of the best cigars on the market). Plus the pool there is fantastic. The Watlings distillery is a pretty short visit but the bar there is great if you like frozen daiquiris.

Last trip we did the Tru Bahamian walking food tour which was a lot of fun, but you have to be able to really walk some ways.

We will be back at Thanksgiving and I think we will hit Graycliff and Watlings again. Twenty minutes walk there and back

Throw in the Bahamas Art Museum. Literally between the two. [emoji106] [emoji106]

I'm definitely doing riu, I know people talk about why all inclusive when we pretty much have it on the ship, but if I know I'm going to drink I know I'm going to drink more than $40 worth so that would be a waste of money for the Hilton. Plus I know I'm going to Senor Frogs, I'm not going to buy a whole lot at Senor Frogs just want to buy a few drinks and be able to say I've been there

How far is Rui? Not walking distance right?

Yes this is a great place. I would go back there again. Had a nice pool, loungers and a small beach. Not really a beach to go in the water but you can see the ships easily from there and it's a short walk.

The food was ok and you could also get a couple drinks with the voucher. But it was a quiet relaxing time there if you just want to go somewhere quiet and not crowded.

We are leaning toward Hilton,but what do you mean by "Not really a beach to go in the water"? Too small? Dirty? I'm more interested in swimming than in food or drink, but I also don't want to venture far from the ship either. I've heard traffic can be bad on Nassau.

We liked the Melia over the Hilton - bigger, nicer beach, better pools, 15 minute cab ride (which we also enjoyed).

How far is Rui? Not walking distance right?

Not in walking distance. It's on Paradise Island over the bridge. Taxi ride $5.00 or so.

Oh - we're staying on the ship hopefully they'll show a good movie. That with the UBP is good enough for us.

Edited by 2ManyCruises

Just found a website that had America's Cup Yatch Sailing Regatta as an excursion, but the last excursion time they had listed at 11:45AM - I emailed the company but doubt they will do a private one for us NCLers

Anyone know of a different company that does America's Cup in Nassau? We did it in St. Maarten and it was a BLAST. I'd pay the big bucks to do it again :eek:

We are leaning toward Hilton,but what do you mean by "Not really a beach to go in the water"? Too small? Dirty? I'm more interested in swimming than in food or drink, but I also don't want to venture far from the ship either. I've heard traffic can be bad on Nassau.

We were there last October & found the beach and water great. There are lots of loungers right on the beach with clamshell covers if needed. It was a nice day...good food, drinks & service. Big pool with lots of daybeds, loungers, etc. We really enjoyed our time there.

Cheers,

Sandra.

We were there last October & found the beach and water great. There are lots of loungers right on the beach with clamshell covers if needed. It was a nice day...good food, drinks & service. Big pool with lots of daybeds, loungers, etc. We really enjoyed our time there.

Cheers,

Sandra.

Thank you, that sounds like a winner to me!

Just found a website that had America's Cup Yatch Sailing Regatta as an excursion, but the last excursion time they had listed at 11:45AM - I emailed the company but doubt they will do a private one for us NCLers

Anyone know of a different company that does America's Cup in Nassau? We did it in St. Maarten and it was a BLAST. I'd pay the big bucks to do it again :eek:

When is America's Cup?

got an email back, they only do groups or corporate events, @100.00 pp, which is what we paid in St Maarten, but I guess would have to get enough people for a group

Sorry I did not mean when, I meant what is America's Cup?

Sorry I did not mean when, I meant what is America's Cup?

It's a yatch race. And you work as part of the crew so every person on the excursion has a job, and you do a 12m race. The one in St Maarten has the actual Stars and Stripes, Nassau obviously does not.

The Nassau one just emailed me back, you have to have a group of at least 12 and its 100.00 pp, same price I paid in at Maarten

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't see this listed through NCL. It is Tru Bahamian Food Tours and gets 5* reviews via Trip Adv.

I was interested in this since a did a similar one in Grand Cayman and loved it. Unfortunately, the Escape docks at noon and tours start at 11:30. They do take requests for special starting times though. I was thinking about asking on the roll call to see if others were interested in doing it. They offer group discounts starting at 10, which seems reasonable.

Yes that's it and they are awesome