Have RCCL "Meet & Mingle" Roll Calls Suffered?

Dlanco

I believe that people are too "open" with their information here on Cruise Critic. It results in the cruise line being able to pin point exactly who you are, what you complain about, and next time maybe not get that discount as you are bragging about it at meet and mingle and here on CC.

There is a little truth to that, but do to the sheer volume, I told think Royal is keeping a dossier of who said what here.

I don't believe that all non cruise conversation is useless chatter. When your roll call has over 6000 views with a little over 700 post by a handful of people, you realize there are a lot of people that lurk but never participate. When a roll call is started early like more than a year in advance of the cruise, the early people (Who has never met each other) get to know each other through some of these conversations. As they get to know each other they share things such as a person in our current roll call whose wife passed away and his daughter replacing her on the cruise. He explained how difficult it was going to be without his wife on the cruise for the first time. I even shared how I had to have surgery for prostate cancer during the time of the roll call. So in addition to talking about all things cruise which there has been a lot of conversation about, other things have been talked about also just due to the fact that we have grown to know each other. This has happened on other roll calls I have been a part of also and at the pre cruise meet & greet it was like a meeting of old friends even though it was the first time anyone had actually met.

When it comes to the official meet & mingle you a lot of the lurkers from the roll call show up and then feel alienated and think that everyone is in little groups when in actuality it is the folks who have been speaking in the roll call with each other for over a year conversing and setting in motion plans that have been made. In our current roll call we greet everyone and try to make them feel a part of the roll call. We have had one time posters who introduce themselves and then never came back!

That was a well conceived post. We would get along great if we sailed together. In my past 2 roll calls I have had people make one post and one post only. I generally keep a list of people on the roll call and publish it once a week just for informational purposes. (no personal information). For that reason, I'll look back at those one time posters and figure out they changed their reservation and never came back, or had to cancel for other reasons. On the other hand, I've had people come up to me at the M&M saying they read everything, but weren't real comfortable communicating and said "Thanks for all the information".

I confess, I rarely join a roll call anymore for a lot of reasons, one of which is the M&M's are never at a convenient time. Plus, being a bit of a veteran now, I meet people other ways. If I'm traveling with friends, I tend to hang with them. If I'm doing a solo cruise, sometimes I just want to chill and not be social.

I have joined the M&M for the NCL cruise I have booked, because I haven't sailed them since 2002, and I'll be joining the M&M for the X cruise I'm booked on as well.

When do the roll calls typically get active? There are 9 members for my cruise next June...ours has the most members for the month, but it was mostly me and one other person posting. Ah well...hope it picks up! I agree that "meeting" people and our shared love of (read: obsession with?) cruising can be a lot of fun.....

My Freedom cruise for April 2015 didn't get real active till January of this year. My Oasis cruise for next year hasn't gotten there yet. My Freedom cruise of 2008 got active more than a year ahead. My 2013 Allure cruise got really active 400 days out.

Just to clarify... most know this, but it's obvious that some posting in this thread don't. Using the correct terms might help people who are confused.

Some Definitions:

Roll Call is a thread here on Cruise Critic where you can talk about your cruise with others who are going to be on the same ship at the same time.

Meet & Mingle is a party held by Royal Caribbean (often at 10am on the first sea day, but that varies) specifically for people from Cruise Critic who sign up to attend. The M&M has a minimum of 25 people -- if they don't get 25 people to sign up, RC doesn't hold the party.

In addition to the Official Meet & Mingle Party Hosted By Royal Caribbean, some CC members in a particular Roll Call Thread may ALSO organize voluntary events such as a Gift Swap, Slot Pull, Cabin Crawl, etc. While these types of events do offer an opportunity to meet and mingle with fellow Cruise Critic members, they are NOT actually a part of the Meet & Mingle event hosted by Royal Caribbean.

These additional events are often held in conjunction with the official Meet & Mingle party simply for logistical reasons (everyone is already in the same spot at the same time with nothing else scheduled), but Royal Caribbean has NOTHING to do with these events, they are not a part of the Meet & Mingle party and the ship's staff / cruise line have no responsibility for organizing them.

Participation in Roll Call threads and attendance at Meet & Mingle parties are completely voluntary and completely unrelated. You can participate in a Roll Call thread and not sign up for the M&M. You can sign up for the M&M and never post in the Roll Call thread. You can do both, or you can do neither. Just go on a cruise and be happy! :cool:

This has been a Public Service Announcement of the Brillohead Broadcasting Service. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Edited by brillohead
typo

On our upcoming Explorer cruise, the M&M is at 9.30am on the first day at sea. i.e. day 2.

This is ridiculously early for those who have travelled from afar, or have jet lag, or just want a sleep-in whilst on holiday:eek:

On a recent Explorer cruise, from a large Roll Call, only six people turned up. You would think they would get the message.

Or perhaps they have and just don't want to continue with M&M's!!!!:mad:

In my past 2 roll calls I have had people make one post and one post only. I generally keep a list of people on the roll call and publish it once a week just for informational purposes. (no personal information).

The roll call for my upcoming Vision t/a is very active, approaching 1,900 posts at last look.

I've been keeping a list of everyone on the roll call, with hometowns, and publishing it occasionally. People are finding others who hail from the same place, which gives them something in common.

But the list has grown massive (150+) and most have posted once and disappeared, although I think we have a healthy number registered for the M&M.

In addition to the M&M, we've planned a pre-cruise dinner in Barcelona, an informal M&M onboard right before lifeboat drill, a slot pull, a cabin crawl, and possibly a singles lunch meet-up.

We've also been teaming up for shore excursions and ground transportation.

I've been enjoying the roll call and look forward to meeting the regular posters. If the others turn up at some point and make themselves known, that will be a nice surprise, too. :)

The roll call for my October cruise is extremely active. Over 2,500 posts. That said I think it is because there is a large group of people who cruise together every Halloween. I chuckle every more reading their banter. Lets me get to know their personality. Sometimes you feel a bit on the outside but I just join it. It's all in good fun and you can always write "just joking" at the end :). I'm also part of a Faceb**k group but there are only 20 or so members and it is not active at all. Once a week someone posts a cruise picture. LOL

I have yet to attend a meeting and mingle though I sign up. The main reason being it's usually the first day and there is too much chaos when travelling with children and a large family group to attend the first day.

you cant offer a tour you havent been on, thats crazy- if we want to set up a group excursion and none of us have been on it then we cant suggest it. I do go to the meet and mingle but have noticed alot less traffic on the roll calls.

I don't know if this is true....I am on two roll calls right now (one of them is for a Celebrity cruise) and both of them have private tours that have been organized by people on the roll calls. We are not doing any of them, but we have joined in these tours in the past and they have been fantastic. My Celebrity cruise is Australia/NZ and I have learned a lot from the locals on that roll call.

I agree with the poster that said they wish they knew the screen names of the people at the M&M.....for months you have "known" these people mostly by their screen names. Then you get to the M&M and it's just a bunch of people you've never seen before. They used to give you name tags to write your screen name and your real name on and slap it on your shirt. Then when you "mingle" you can put the face with the name you have been seeing for months.

I was on that Allure TA and I agree that the M&M was not ideal. We had over 500 people signed up for the M&M and I realize having it in the ice arena was probably the only place to hold that many people, but it was definitely not conducive to mingling. But that is just one of my many little "issues" with the Allure.

The best M&M I have ever been to was on the Brilliance and the Asst. Cruise Director (or Activities Director) gave everyone this paper with a grid on it. In each square was a task like "find someone with blue eyes" or "find someone born in July" or even "find someone with two children in college". You had to ask them their name and write it in the square. We were in teams and we were scrambling all over the place....it was a lot of fun and you got to know people's names. It was up in the Viking Crown Lounge, so very easy to get around and meet people.

M&M activities, but usually sign up for them to meet people and mingle with whom we might like to get to know. On the last 5 tries at M&M events they were not fun, some were large, and some were as small as the limit, NO ONE MINGLED they just stayed with their group of travelers, friends or family, it was almost like anyone outside their group was a potential criminal, yes that bad. On one of the last cruises, during the M&M I became aware of some people who lived with in just a few miles, some almost next door. I approached both groups said virtually nothing back, and quickly left. Of course I was wearing bib overhauls and a wife beater shirt,(just kidding) Even in the D and above lounges they would not talk to any one outside their group. Until one night at the bar, I struck up a conversation with a distinguished UK gentleman on his view on Princess Diana,(it was interesting) and they sort of gathered around and listened and even ask some questions. The next night they would not even speak to us LOL.

RC, well, they do not do much anymore but the new gift a better note thing is far better than the old one.

Edited by north29

My Freedom cruise for April 2015 didn't get real active till January of this year. My Oasis cruise for next year hasn't gotten there yet. My Freedom cruise of 2008 got active more than a year ahead. My 2013 Allure cruise got really active 400 days out.

Just what I was wondering...very helpful. Thanks!

Just to clarify... most know this, but it's obvious that some posting in this thread don't. Using the correct terms might help people who are confused.

Roll Call is a thread here on Cruise Critic where you can talk about your cruise with others who are going to be on the same ship at the same time.

Meet & Mingle is a party held by Royal Caribbean (often at 10am on the first sea day, but that varies) specifically for people from Cruise Critic who sign up to attend. The M&M has a minimum of 25 people -- if they don't get 25 people to sign up, RC doesn't hold the party.

This has been a Public Service Announcement of the Brillohead Broadcasting Service. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

So we've only been on one cruise, with another scheduled for 2016. It can be so overwhelming, all of the information that comes in about a cruise, and this forum was a lifesaver. If you start to spend a little time, there are names that come up again and again offering helpful advice....thanks for clarifying something that took me a while to figure out!!!

I do enjoy CC in that you do maintain some anonymity...I am not a FB poster that likes putting everything out there. I am hoping things pick up on our Roll Call -- I'd like other people to get pumped up for my next cruise with!!!

Maybe CC needs to do a short intro video about posting on the forums, or some videos about starting/joining roll calls, M&Ms, etc. People who might not take the time to search the forums otherwise could change their minds.....

Some Definitions:

Thanks for that post. I as the OP should have been clearer in my original posted question. I was really interested in "ROLL CALL" activity and connections. I could really care less about "Meet & Mingle" for reasons that others have mentioned. I really just wanted to know if anyone though that the number of folks participating in ROLL CALLS for their upcoming cruises has waned.

Edited by Dlanco

There have been several good post and while not coming to any conclusions, I wonder if the decline in roll calls is an indication of the bigger issues of where our world culture is these days. Despite social media, people are becoming less social, especially with their heads buried in their phones or tablets when not eating, sleeping or working. The outside world is becoming more instrusive and people are dropping home phone lines and not setting up voicemail on phones trying to be less in touch. Just one aspect perhaps. I will continue to enjoy the roll calls and the MANY friends I have made through them. Even if the official gatherings die they sure help me pass the time till I cruise again. Royal pulled a bone headed move and I missed my last Meet and Mingle, but I still enjoyed the 400 days up to the cruise and the new friends I made then.

Easier to chat on a cell phone than it is in person for many folks today. Kinda sad

I'm currently in 3 Roll Calls.

Oct 24th, 2015 sailing currently has 66 screen names signed up and it hasn't been updated since Aug 4th. Keep in mind some of the screen names have 2, 4 and a few have 8+ people sailing with them. It's pretty active w/ 82 pages.

Feb 14th, 2016, sailing currently has 27 screen names signed up and 10 pages. Again, most have 2 or more sailing. I expect more activity as the date moves closer to saildate.

Oct 1, 2016, only 4 screen names and only one page. Very slow But the sailing is a long way off.

I think it has alot to do with the itinerary, sail date and equally important, the posters of the Roll Call. As far as the M&M itself, I feel it's important to just get up and go say hello to someone. After all it's a Meet & Mingle. If one attends for the gifts and/or people watch, I think one's at the wrong function.

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

In my opinion - there are SO MANY new cruisers and most have little or no knowledge of CC. We may think we are the majority on a ship when in reality we are just a few strong.

Many roll call groups arrange an informal Meet & Greet on departure day so there is no reason to attend an event in the middle of a sea day morning, that ( often in my case) conflicts with something else I want to do.

Just my 2 cents

M

As far as the M&M itself, I feel it's important to just get up and go say hello to someone. After all it's a Meet & Mingle. If one attends for the gifts and/or people watch, I think one's at the wrong function.

I don't think it was, at least for me, until my 2014 Jewel cruise that Royal provided name tags to wear. On our highly successful 2008 Freedom roll call one member made and brought with her name tags. The same for my most sucessful 2013 Allure roll call. That really helps. There were quite a few people I made a point to say hello to because of that.

In my 2013 Allure and 2015 Freedom cruise we encouraged people to post pictures of the people they were cruising with and it really opened things up and made for a pleasant cruise. (If a person recognized another roll call member in the WJ they would invite them to join their table when it was crowded.

In my 2015 cruise one member created a face page of photos of people on the cruise. That ended up helping me out. There were so many people I wanted to meet from that most enjoyable roll call and Royal changed the meeting time and didn't tell me. Thanks to that face page I recognized several people around the ship and made a point to say hello.

BTW, I didn't use to consider a 7 day or longer roll call active till it hit 3000 posts. I've had two archived at 6000 posts and the mods opened up a 2nd one. (before the cruise)

Edited by BillOh

On our upcoming Explorer cruise, the M&M is at 9.30am on the first day at sea. i.e. day 2.

This is ridiculously early for those who have travelled from afar, or have jet lag, or just want a sleep-in whilst on holiday:eek:

On a recent Explorer cruise, from a large Roll Call, only six people turned up. You would think they would get the message.

Or perhaps they have and just don't want to continue with M&M's!!!!:mad:

We had the same situation for our upcoming cruise, we sail Sunday and the m&m was set for 9.15 on the first morning, clarea suggested contacting xplora@rccl.com and a politely worded email has seen our meet moved to 10.30 :-) thank you clarea

Edited by JazzieB

We had the same situation for our upcoming cruise, we sail Sunday and the m&m was set for 9.15 on the first morning, clarea suggested contacting xplora@rccl.com and a politely worded email has seen our meet moved to 10.30 :-) thank you clarea

In many cases, ship's personnel have digression on how they run things, but wow, who thought 9:15 was a good idea?

I think a previous poster hit the nail on the head by saying that the majority of people on a ship will not know about CC. It is only recently through doing searches on the Web that i came across this site and signed up.

That is true, but this site has over 1 million active users. Everyone who has signed up for a M&M has known about this site long before the cruise starts. I wonder as suggested, if the facebook groups are beginning to take away from the participation here. So many people there hate this place thinking its only complainers here, after all this is cruise CRITIC! (So tired of that lame, too easy to spew, not well thought out tired old line.

I'm always very careful about what I post on Facebook in the weeks up to my cruises. We cruise occasionally with friends who still have family back at home and we ask they not tag us on photos till we are back home since our house is empty while we are gone.

I think a previous poster hit the nail on the head by saying that the majority of people on a ship will not know about CC. It is only recently through doing searches on the Web that i came across this site and signed up.

Agree! We had reached D+ before I discovered CC, even then, I spent a year or so lurking before I got up the nerve to post!:D

Sherri:)