Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Happy Anniversary to you both!

A long time to be married.

Drspins and I married the same number of years, but it's our second marriage.

:-)

Thanks Spins,

Considering we've spent much of that time together all day every day ... well ... it is an achievement. I keep her in line by introducing her as "my first wife". Does the trick. :)

Jeff

Terry - I think I may have touched on SE Asia before somewhere but here goes. I don't personally regard this area as a cruise unless you just fancy skimming the edges and enjoying the ship. The hotels in SE Asia and the restaurants are simply too good to miss and offer a level of service and luxury your ship cannot possibly match. Also, many of the major sites are far inland and while cruise lines offer them as excursions, sometimes overnight, I still think a land-based trip is by far the best option, especially if you want to visit Angkor/Siem Reap in Cambodia. Angkor is easily reachable nowadays. We first went in 1992 and I swear there were only 50 tourists on the entire site. That was an unforgettable trip. You can catch a number of fancy river boats from Siem Reap and sail down to Saigon. I've done this trip and found it worthwhile but not the best river trip I've done. The villages get a bit monotonous and you need to be aware of major changes in water levels at various tmes of year. I've done many trips to this region and I'm happy to pass on advice and opinion etc.

Appreciate so much, Fletcher, these wonderful details, experiences and insights from your fascinating travels in Cambodia and Vietnam. Great info, perspective!! Clearly there are various trade-offs to consider as to what best fits each traveler's interests and needs. For us, as I have shared previously, it is about the ports/destinations as the top priorities. We also love, as we did earlier this year in Africa, to connect with and learn more on the people, their history, see nature/landscape, enjoy unique architecture/design, etc. A nice ship and sailing experience are good and of value to us, but that is not our main/prime objective.

Glad to hear on the excellent hotels that are in SE Asia. For us, these types of hotels and high service levels are nice, but not our personal top priority. It's all a JOURNEY!!! First, finding out more on an area and its potentials. Second, determining our priorities, what best "fits and flows". Finally, doing the "adventure"!

Yes, would love from you and and others to gain and benefit from your offer "to pass on advice and opinion". Let me know how best to connect and keep picking your smart brain. Since we are targeting early 2018 for these SE Asia travels, we have time to research and plan before finalizing our plans, stops, means of getting around, etc.

Another part of this "puzzle" is about how much, if any, to fit prime cities such as Hong Kong and Singapore into this first trip to this part of the world. I know Jeff and others super love Singapore, etc. Lots of options and choices!! Keep the sharing flowing. Happy to learn and hear lots more suggestions and great ideas.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 139,026 views for this posting.

Singapore is probably the best hub, far more convenient than Hong Kong which is far away really. Singers also has a more consistent, less seasonal climate (i.e., it's sticky all year round) though it lacks the really great hotels that HK enjoys. Singers is also hassle-free, unlike, say, Bangkok.

From Singers you can fly up to Burma, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam with ease and do a nice triangle trip. In Singers I like the very discreet Four Seasons and the Ritz-Carlton the most. The MO and the Shangri-La are also pretty good but Raffles is off the map as far as I'm concerned.

Eating out in Singers is excellent - the no-frills food courts are tasty bargains.

Edited by Fletcher

G'day Coolers. 42 years of Holy Deadlock today .... Jeff

spinnaker2: Happy Anniversary to you both!

Sorry' date=' Jeff, that I did not "get it" and pick up on your unique phrase about [i']"Holy Deadlock"!![/i]

Yes, Happy Anniversary!! We have our 44th coming up in June.

My wife puts up with a lot, but she absolutely would not like to hear me saying: "I keep her in line by introducing her as 'my first wife'. Does the trick." Nor, would she want to be around me all day long, etc. Need some "separation" to keep the peace and survive each other.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 196,173 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Singapore is probably the best hub, far more convenient than Hong Kong which is far away really. Singers also has a more consistent, less seasonal climate (i.e., it's sticky all year round) though it lacks the really great hotels that HK enjoys. Singers is also hassle-free, unlike, say, Bangkok. From Singers you can fly up to Burma, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam with ease and do a nice triangle trip. In Singers I like the very discreet Four Seasons and the Ritz-Carlton the most. The MO and the Shangri-La are also pretty good but Raffles is off the map as far as I'm concerned. Eating out in Singers is excellent - the no-frills food courts are tasty bargains.

Appreciate these added items and info from Fletcher. Clearly, there are lots of excellent choices in SE Asia. BUT, how to put it ALL together, figuring out our top priorities and interests, etc.??? My guess is that, like we did with our first trip to Africa, that we will do some combination of cities, cruising (either by river or one of the main luxury lines), seeing key remote/historic sites such as in and around Angkor Wat, etc., etc.

Keep it flowing with the smart Coolers staring their loves, successes, warnings, insights, tips, etc., from these various areas. We have a number of friends in Central Ohio from whom we will be picking their brains, too!!

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 58,226 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Happy Anniversary Jeffers.

So just over a week to go..... and the bloody French Air Traffic Controllers go on strike! They'd better get them sorted quickly!

In the meantime - just looking over some old youtube clips - and it reminded be of a funny (and very English humour)

. I expect some of you have seen it - I was amazed the first time I saw it! I just thought "you can't say that" and then burst into laughter. Worth a view if you're bored and a bit of time to spare.

Les, good thing we're flying through AMS this time instead of CDG. One week until we leave for Budapest!

Watched a bit of the clip - cracked me up! Have to grab some dinner so will have to finish later. Chris and I were rolling at the Scot and French jokes... One of my Great grandmothers had the maiden name of Bruce and always claimed to be related to Robert. Hmm...

Edited by jpalbny

Les, good thing we're flying through AMS this time instead of CDG. One week until we leave for Budapest!

Watched a bit of the clip - cracked me up! Have to grab some dinner so will have to finish later. Chris and I were rolling at the Scot and French jokes... One of my Great grandmothers had the maiden name of Bruce and always claimed to be related to Robert. Hmm...

Glad you enjoyed JP....

PS You fly over French airspace to get to Schiphol! Fingers crossed! Hope you enjoy Budapest. I did last October.

oMG thas the same guy we had... he was so funny and we actually had him on another trip and it was different

He seems to have the most uploads. Others try similar patter, but he comes across as a very funny guy. I can imagine punters faces at first when he told them to be quite and went off on a rampant put down of different Nationalities (including the English.) I loved the bit that said it was the Victors in battle that were able to write the history books - and why the French books weren't very big!

Edited by les37b

Good Afternoon Coolers......a few of us looking forward to our forthcoming adventures....I'm happy to say that I've finally packed and all ready to go....have to be organised with father still in hospital and celebrating 90 next week so it's going to be rather hectic! Just confirmed the UC wing at Virgin so hopefully a smooth transit through LHR with breakfast and fizz in the clubhouse...[emoji6]

Spins...I'll leave a note for you at reception on board with my suite number on so we can arrange to enjoy a cocktail or three....looking forward to meeting you......

Dull and dreary day here in Wales but today is all mine with pup at day school and no visiting....good old fish and chips for luncheon and a nice weekend to look forward to with the offspring......I need to give them their orders before l leave...[emoji16]

Sophia [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good Afternoon Coolers......a few of us looking forward to our forthcoming adventures....I'm happy to say that I've finally packed and all ready to go....have to be organised with father still in hospital and celebrating 90 next week so it's going to be rather hectic! Just confirmed the UC wing at Virgin so hopefully a smooth transit through LHR with breakfast and fizz in the clubhouse...[emoji6]

Spins...I'll leave a note for you at reception on board with my suite number on so we can arrange to enjoy a cocktail or three....looking forward to meeting you......

Dull and dreary day here in Wales but today is all mine with pup at day school and no visiting....good old fish and chips for luncheon and a nice weekend to look forward to with the offspring......I need to give them their orders before l leave...[emoji16]

Sophia [emoji4]

Sophia,

I envy that you are packed and ready to go. We are all happy to learn your father is celebrating 90 in just a few days! An accomplishment to be lauded.

I had every intention of being packed or at least somewhat ready to go. You know what they say about good intentions. I am not packed and not even close.

I liken it to the same stuff that used to get in my way when I had major exams in law school, I would sit and try and study and then realize I hadn't cleaned under the refrigerator for a really long time and that I had better do that immediately before studying. It's the same thing now. I spent the better part of yesterday in the yard doing chores.

I learned my car, the lovely Saab Aero, has the Takata airbag system and there are no parts to replace it. Saab vehicles are no longer manufactured. I have been working on a remedy for the situation, as I don't want to drive the car. Disabling the airbag seems to be the solution for the short term. I will need my mechanic to do that job. He refers to my car as a Lego vehicle. It can wait until I come back. Meanwhile I feel stranded, will need to borrow DH car. :-) when it's available.

Not long now, the 11 is just around the corner! See you soon!

I got the suitcases down from the loft 2 days ago. Does that count? :p

Once the weekend is out of the way, I suspect the harvesting of clothes and gadgets begins! (The latter obviously being the most important!)

At least those pesky French Air Traffic controllers cant spoil your fun!!

Thats a fair few away at the same time!

JP....many thanks, it's all very exciting and l hope you two have a wonderful trip also [emoji1]

Les...anything counts when it comes to holidays! No Frenchie probs outbound but flying back from Barcelona could be fun if they're still at it!! [emoji15]

Spins....I've packed early so l can fit in all those horrid jobs you mention before l leave...having said that my decorator is in while I'm away to redo the lounge and hall so I'm not doing much! Sorry to hear you're without wheels.....I hate it when I'm without mine even though it's an old Chrysler which the kids are wanting me to change.....but the old gal and l know each other very well so I'm sticking with her for the foreseeable future!!

S[emoji4]

So just over a week to go..... and the bloody French Air Traffic Controllers go on strike! They'd better get them sorted quickly!

les37b: I got the suitcases down from the loft 2 days ago. Does that count? At least those pesky French Air Traffic controllers cant spoil your fun!!

jpalbny: Have a great trip' date=' Sophia! We fly out for Budapest on Thursday. Less than a week to go, so it's almost here. Time for packing this weekend. We are getting pretty excited! [/quote']

Good luck to Les with your travel to Paris and for the others going to various other exciting and interesting locations. Want to get some nice updates and pictures from Budapest.

From the London/UK Telegraph this morning, they have this headline: "French strikes herald a spring of discontent" with these highlights: "As I write, France is grinding to a halt. The air traffic controllers (ATC) are on strike (for the second time in a week), a walk-out by rail workers means that only one in three domestic trains is running, and the Paris Metro is crippled. Why is it all going wrong? The current wave comprises mostly straightforward disputes about pay and conditions. But the air traffic disruption is part of a long-running feud. French air traffic controllers have now gone on strike on a total of 43 days since 2009. There is discontent about a new government proposal to change labour laws, making it easier for companies to lay off workers. There is a distinct risk that we will see a spring of discontent in France."

Full story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/comment/france-strikes-herald-spring-of-discontent/

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 139,319 views for this posting.

France is a beautiful, wonderful country that makes nice cheese and wine and can cook a little. It's also a complete no-go area as far as I'm concerned. Infrastructure shuts down regularly, Paris airport is possibly even worse than any American airport you might name. And on the road it's total war. Just to go there you need an incredible amount of kit - high-vis jackets, breathalysers, torches, pick-axes, oxygen cylinders, a replacement engine for your car and so on. If the motorway cops are friendly and you are doing 81kph they will order you out of your car, drive you to the nearest ATM machine, fine you 1000 Euros and leave you there. If they are feeling unfriendly they will leave you on the motorway and take your car and give it the Mr Solo treatment (you need to know Goldfinger to get this last joke).

Edited by Fletcher

France is a beautiful, wonderful country that makes nice cheese and wine and can cook a little. It's also a complete no-go area as far as I'm concerned. Infrastructure shuts down regularly, Paris airport is possibly even worse than any American airport you might name. And on the road it's total war. Just to go there you need an incredible amount of kit - high-vis jackets, breathalysers, torches, pick-axes, oxygen cylinders, a replacement engine for your car and so on. If they are feeling unfriendly they will leave you on the motorway and take your car and give it the Mr Solo treatment (you need to know Goldfinger to get this last joke).

Not sure for how to react to your above posting and specifics claimed about France. From our six visits to that country (1970, 1995, 1998, 2005, 2007 and 2011), we have had generally very positive experiences. This includes driving and traveling in and around Paris, plus Normandy, Brittany, Alsace, Champagne County, Burgundy, Loire Valley, Côte d'Azur, Dordogne and Provence.

Have "things" changed that much lately? Or, did we miss having such interesting "fun"? In 1995, we did hear and observe noisy protesting employees marching through the terminal and out on the tarmac. Clearly, France has had some histories with serious labor union strikes and tensions, but overall, we were lucky in not having any negative impacts hitting us during our various and enjoyable visits to and around France.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 210,301 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474