Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Generally I agree with the sentiment, though there might be the odd photo that is easily to hand without any hassles. And I certainly won't argue that going to someones house to be given their photos to look at can be boring. I was thinking at these being more for my own family personal books..... though hey, each book is available to view online too!

I'm more a hands on person. I'd never buy a kindle - I think this is possibly a similar type "real" holdable thing. I'm a gadget freak - so technology appeals - but I guess I still have old fashioned values on some things digital. (But gone are the days I'd buy a couple of DVDs per week to collect.... Plex and Netflix have seen to that.)

i was once invited with wifey for a drinks evening whilst we were down at Seaside, to a neighbours house. When we arrived I was asked in that sort of way that demands you agree or offend, whether we would like to see the film they has made of his trip with his wife to Ayers Rock. We thought it would be painful for ten minites or so but then we might get time off for good behaviour.. We said "yes" as we were expected so to say.

The DVD was slotted in and really as an axcuse for them to relive the magic again of their film and show off, we were subjected to a circumnavigation in real time of the base of ayers rock dubbed with aborigine music and also a dubbed in monotoned monologue. It was around 4 hours long, and they never blinked but were excruitatingly excited all the way through and added to the monlogue with loud exclamations. We had a single glass of luke warm sweet white wine to see us through with no "top ups" offered. We wanted to die.

It was one of the worst experiences of our lives.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Terry - In Alsace we indulgently stayed for three nights at the hotel attached to the Auberge de l'Ill and had three dinners and two lunches as well as their breakfasts at which they served jam made from mirabelles. Just fabulous and perhaps the prettiest restaurant I've ever seen.

Edited by Fletcher

Jeff - that sounds awful. I would have only subjected you to 2 hours, tops! And unlimited wine, because my glass sure would have been empty too.

I have a ton of digital pics on my laptop (close to 100K pictures), with backups on Chris' desktop and another server that I built for storage. Should get an external HDD for offsite storage as well - I used to have one that worked but it isn't compatible with my newest laptop. So that hasn't been updated in a while.

I have used Adobe Photoshop Elements to organize my pics for quite a few years. I have my pictures organized neatly into folders by trip, arranged chronologically, so that they show up in order when I open the folder. I've made keyword tags in PSE for days and places; the organization scheme is decent but it's gradually been tweaked over the years into something very usable. Each picture is also labeled with a caption, some just in general with the place name, but many of the labels are very specific.

My data file for PSE is monstrous, and that too is backed up in multiple places. If that got lost I could be in serious trouble! Luckily, there are a few other ways to back that data up - (1), PSE allows you to write the tags and captions to the file itself, so you're not dependent on the database to store that information, and (2) I also have a desktop version of Picasa, which imports the photos, reads those tags and captions, and puts them into its own database. Redundency is key here! I am trying to figure out what I will do in a few months when Picasa disappears and is replaced by a forced migration to Google Photos. Not sure how happy I am about that.

What I need to do is make my names of the keyword tags contain both chronological and geographical information, instead of just geographical, so they are all consistent with my folder naming scheme. But that is relatively minor. Even though the names aren't perfect, I can open PSE and find a picture of someplace we've been very quickly, so all in all it's not a bad system for me.

Out of the thousands of photos that we take on a 1-2 week trip, Chris and I look them over and pick maybe 10-15% that are worth displaying, and those get downsized to 600x800 or 1280x960, then posted to my Picasa albums and shared. Way fewer than that get posted to Facebook - it drives me NUTS when someone posts 200+ photos of a trip and they post every single picture, including 5 in a row of the same thing! If anyone asks to see pictures, we will show them the album only. The only one we make sit through the album without asking is Chris' father - he was an inveterate picture taker too so he likes it.

I have printed maybe 10 pictures in the past 10 years. It is a waste of money for me to buy ink for the photo printer because I'll print one and then the cartridge dries out before I print another! Honestly I have printed more photos of our mugshots for passports, International Driving Permits, visas, etc than I've printed for actual viewing or display. However, I do have a digital picture frame that's full of the highlights from all of our trips dating back 10+ years, and I keep adding to the SD card every year or two. As the frame cycles through the pictures, it brings back some nice memories.

I don't use printed albums but I've seen some nice ones. I do save entry tickets and our cruise programs, along with other physical mementos of the trip, and I put them in plastic sleeves that fit into 3-ring binders. Those are fun to look at too - or to refer to when someone on CC asks a question.

Well - back to packing. Laundry to fold and a few more items to select from that load. Then we'll see how many suitcases we need!

Happy Sunday all.

Terry - In Alsace we indulgently stayed for three nights at the hotel attached to the Auberge de l'Ill and had three dinners and two lunches as well as their breakfasts at which they served jam made from mirabelles. Just fabulous and perhaps the prettiest restaurant I've ever seen.

UKCruiseJeff: i was once invited with wifey for a drinks evening whilst we were down at Seaside' date=' to a neighbours house. When we arrived I was asked in that sort of way that demands you agree or offend, whether we would like to see the film they has made of his trip with his wife to Ayers Rock. It was[b'] around 4 hours long[/b], and they never blinked but were excruitatingly excited all the way through and added to the monlogue with loud exclamations. We had a single glass of luke warm sweet white wine to see us through with no "top ups" offered. We wanted to die. It was one of the worst experiences of our lives.

jpalbny: I have a ton of digital pics on my laptop (close to 100K pictures)' date=' with backups on Chris' desktop and another server that I built for storage. Should get an external HDD for offsite storage as well - I used to have one that worked but it isn't compatible with my newest laptop. I have printed maybe 10 pictures in the past 10 years. [b']It is a waste of money for me[/b] to buy ink for the photo printer

For Jeff, in the famous words of Bill Clinton, "I can feel your pain." Yes, that was terrible!! Super bad suffering!! Knowing something about demographics and changing consumer trends, people, especially those younger, have shorter and shorter attention spans. You need to pay attention to your audience and adjust accordingly. Keep it short!! Make things "move" and dance, plus some music. Make it easier for people to adjust and fit their needs and interest. An hour is too much. Four hours is beyond what is possible.

Great to hear from Fletcher about those in-depth and amazing experiences at Auberge de l'Ill. That Michelin Three-Star restaurant that has been honored as the "best of the best" for more than 45 years is a real super star in this wonderful parts of eastern France.

Wonderful added information and details from J.P. Yes, having a large number of pictures does take some time, work and attention to organize them, safeguard them, etc. Computer quality and dependability has gotten lots better. BUT, there are times when a rare and/or unusual "thing" or accident can happen. That's when you need those protections and back-ups. On printing pictures, I have done that lots. In both my home study/office and my working area downtown, I have lots of pictures on the walls. It nice for me to see those, plus they are fun in sharing and discussing with others. Just last week, had printed up and framed a number of 12x18 and 8x12 pictures from our Africa adventures. At Costco, a great 8x12 print only cost $1.79. Excellent quality and value!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 196,362 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

PHOTOS! Now here's a topic and a half. I started taking pictures when I started going abroad - about 1979 - and bought a Pentax SLR. I took slides back then and can still vividly remember the week-long, sometimes fortnight-long, wait for them to come back from Kodachrome in those snug little plastic yellow boxes. Then I'd set the screen, load the 36 slides on to a rack, plug in the projector and pray they all came out. Sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't. In those days you had to be miserly with your exposures because you could so easily run out of film.

In a few years I had dozens of boxes, filled with slides, all of them indexed and, yes, we did have a few slide shows for family and friends. I was (and remain) ruthless in paring, cutting to the bone, throwing out all except the best. I have since scanned the best 100 or so pictures and junked the rest.

And then came digital. I have about 5000 images on my computer because I still discard more than I keep. Now I have them in albums on my Mac and I also put them up on Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/up70mm/albums

I do sometimes put together a slideshow with music for private delectation in the dark nights of the soul.

Edited by Fletcher

PHOTOS! Now here's a topic and a half. I started taking pictures when I started going abroad - about 1979 - and bought a Pentax SLR. I took slides back then and can still vividly remember the week-long, sometimes fortnight-long, wait for them to come back from Kodachrome in those snug little plastic yellow boxes. Then I'd set the screen, load the 36 slides on to a rack, plug in the projector and pray they all came out. Sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't. In those days you had to be miserly with your exposures because you could so easily run out of film.

In a few years I had dozens of boxes, filled with slides, all of them indexed and, yes, we did have a few slide shows for family and friends. I was (and remain) ruthless in paring, cutting to the bone, throwing out all except the best. I have since scanned the best 100 or so pictures and junked the rest.

And then came digital. I have about 5000 images on my computer because I still discard more than I keep. Now I have them in albums on my Mac and I also put them up on Flickr.

I do sometimes put together a slideshow with music for private delectation in the dark nights of the soul.

Very nice. I remember you posting some of these ones.

JP et All... I'm the same. Physical prints of photos (book aside) isn't something I've done either..... though I did get blown up to 120 x 80cm a canvas of the view from the "spaceship" church in reykjavik of the colourful rooftops and awesome bay. I expect you could dig the same photo out from your organised collection in seconds!

I really need to get round to doing this one day myself.

I'm thinking of adding another gizmo for this trip. I already have good 360 capabilities using an iPhone and my motrr galileo. However I'm sorely tempted with a Ricoh Theta S - which even even takes 360 movies. Even Ayres rock could last for over 4 hours exploring every angle available.

I think I've convinced myself I need one! :D

Edited by les37b

Evening all.....seven day countdown is on! Can't believe how quickly this trip is looming...just five more sleeps until l fly off into the sunset!

Would be nice to see some of the gals posting if only to quell the excitement of the 'camera' ......I'm still on the box brownie to be honest..[emoji6] great pics in all my albums that go way back to the 1950's......and that's history! Sorry guys......the best pics are those that are taken ad hoc.....but l do understand about boys toys....[emoji15]

Spins....hope you're all ready for the off a week today and the Florida weather will be kind to us...it's been dreadful rain here...so depressing........roll on the weekend.......

S [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello all Shutter afficianados!

I have a Sony alpha mirrorless and I love it. I just can't afford all the lenses I want and covet.

I still have my rollei with Zeiss lenses but it uses FILM!

Drat.

I have over 6k pictures from the last three years.

They are stored on a separate external HD.

Sophia!

It's almost here. I hope we can board early.

Weather here at the moment is hot and sunny.

The other day it was in the 90s F.

Pretty hot for this time of year.

The weather can change in a moment however.

I will see you aboard!

Have a good day all.

JP

I bet you have fewer valises than Les.

Hey Les...how many vuitton steamer trunks do you have packed already?

Jeff

Missing your food pictures...:-(

I've looked at the Sony mirrorless system but it would be crazy expensive to get a lens like the one I have with my DSLR. And it would negate the compactness of the mirrorless camera. So, haven't switched yet though I've been tempted.

Yeah, we're packed fairly efficiently. Two rollaboard bags, one 22" and one 21" but I may check the larger one one for ease of airport walking, as we have two stopovers. Plus I had something taken off my shoulder on Thursday and the stitches are still pulling a little. So I don't want to lug stuff more than i have to, and tweak the stitches too much. We'll see how it feels on Thursday.

Edited by jpalbny

Hello all Shutter aficionados! I have a Sony alpha mirrorless and I love it. I just can't afford all the lenses I want and covet. I still have my rollei with Zeiss lenses but it uses FILM! Drat. I have over 6k pictures from the last three years. They are stored on a separate external HD.

Jeff: Missing your food pictures...:-(

jpalbny: I've looked at the Sony mirrorless system but it would be crazy expensive to get a lens like the one I have with my DSLR.

les37b: JP et All... I'm the same. Physical prints of photos (book aside) isn't something I've done either..... though I did get blown up to 120 x 80cm a canvas of the view from the "spaceship" church in reykjavik of the colourful rooftops and awesome bay. I expect you could dig the same photo out from your organised collection in seconds! I really need to get round to doing this one day myself.

Fletcher: PHOTOS! Now here's a topic and a half. I started taking pictures when I started going abroad - about 1979 - and bought a Pentax SLR. I took slides back then and can still vividly remember the week-long' date=' sometimes fortnight-long, wait for them to come back from [b']Kodachrome in those snug little plastic yellow boxes[/b]. I was (and remain) ruthless in paring, cutting to the bone, throwing out all except the best. I have since scanned the best 100 or so pictures and junked the rest. And then came digital. I have about 5000 images on my computer because I still discard more than I keep. Now I have them in albums on my Mac and I also put them up on Flickr.

Appreciate all of the added comments, sharing, details, etc., regarding photography, keeping those many travel pictures, cameras, etc. YES, YES to Fletcher and his wonderful collection of travel visuals. Great flickr site and super wonderful pictures!! Was checking out your visuals for Cambodia. Love you photo style/techniques.

For Spins, Sony and their mirrorless camera gets very high marks. At National Geographic programs, their photographers spoke highly for what Sony has done and the pluses for mirrorless being smaller and lighter. BUT, as J.P. wisely notes, if you already have good SLR equipment, doing that "switch" could be costly.

On photo sharing, I forgot to mention that with our grandsons, I have done some videos with still pictures on my laptop and then put those on our iPhones. That makes sharing those visuals easy for both my wife and me to share with friends. Yes, videos with music makes things more fun. For one of our grandsons, the music background was the iconic Four Seasons' "Walk Like a Man" song in the background as it showed him doing his early days of walking and running.

Where's Jeff and his tasty food visuals?

From the London/UK Daily Mail today, they have this headline: "The world's busiest airports revealed: Heathrow drops out of the top five after being overtaken by Dubai while Atlanta keeps its crown" with these highlights: "Heathrow remains the busiest airport in Europe but has dropped out of the worldwide top five for the first time in at least 15 years. The London airport dropped three spots to sixth place in 2015 even though it had a record year for passenger traffic with a 2.2 per cent increase on 2014. Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson held onto its crown as the world’s busiest airport, while Beijing stayed in second place for the sixth straight year and Dubai leapfrogged Heathrow to claim third."

The below chart from the Daily Mail today gives a more complete look for the ten largest airport in the world. Doha/Qatar, like Dubai, is one of the fast-rising Middle East airports that is becoming more of a link between "east" and "west" locations in the world. From our recent experiences, both Chicago O'Hare and Atlanta are big, BIG, but seem to be working well and efficient. For those that hate Heathrow, is this downward side for London's biggest airport a good or bad sign?

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3522711/Heathrow-named-sixth-busiest-airport-world.html

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 210,848 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

BUSY AIRPORTS??!!: Here is a chart from the UK Daily Mail today on the latest data from 2015 about the world's top ten largest airport, their traffic levels, growth trends, etc. Interesting patterns of growth? No NYC airport is listed!!:

Africa2016PixsC8_zps5srtysvq.jpg

We'll lay over in Atlanta on the way home. We're pretty comfortable there, plus there are a couple of great restaurants in terminal E. Had some nice meals there on the Charleston trip 2 weeks ago, and it will be something to look forward to on the way home. If you're there, remember One Flew South, and the Piano Bar. Both in the center of terminal E.

Flying through DTW on the way over. Not our favorite but the Vino Volo has a nice wine list and good snacks. Yeah, we base our connection on the available food! Lol.

Spins - nothing so bold - I bought 4 sets of Pack-Easy-Luggage sets last year when they were on offer at a bargain price. Strong and sturdy - without a silly price tag! (Black Friday can be worthwhile sometimes - I paid a third of what they are ATM!)

The Theta S gadget arrived last night. It works - takes a reasonable 360, but I still need some convincing its a must have assessory. When I work out how it works (ie settings and ability to upload), I will post a couple of images. I think it will come into its own in Rome etc at some places of interest. The image I took this morning is now on one side (view of Thames) but on the other - loads of empty desks. (I get in early so no one around to mess up the photo! lol)

I'm all camera'd out. I've gone through lots of Canon iterations from the 300, 400, 550, 650 and now 700. (The later bought because I thought the previous one had packed up - but turned out just to be the battery not charging! doh!) And the thought of replacing lens makes a brand change a "not going to happen".

And with all the gear I've bought - its crazy that I always seem to fall back on the phone camera - which is something I keep drumming into the missus not to do and start to use the Sony DSC-HX60V I got her - which along with the useful timelapse and panoramic settings, has the ability to transfer onto her phone, manageable sized versions so she can post emails or pesky facebook. (I dont use facebook or twitter - which is unfortunately the way that this Theta S wants to "share"!) Hopefully there is a better way!

Fletch, that plugin that you use - which one? I notice there are several with that name (though for a plugin does seem expensive!) I'd certainly like to have a go at a collection of similar arty style.

Greetings Coolers! Yesterday was a grand adventure to Agra, India and the Taj Mahal! After traveling by bus to the Mumbai airport to board an Air India chartered flight to Agra, more buses and battery powered minibuses there we arrived at this wonderful monument to love. I won't bore you with pictures of the actual wonder as many have already taken breath-taking shots. Instead, here is a picture of some of the intricate detail of the structure.

DSC03434_zpsljbryopl.jpg

Fletch, that plugin that you use - which one? I notice there are several with that name (though for a plugin does seem expensive!) I'd certainly like to have a go at a collection of similar arty style.

I have two systems on my MacBook apart from the iPhoto. One is Aperture which was Apple's answer to Photoshop. It's a great system, I think, full of refinement, but it hasn't been updated for many years and I think is unavailable.

The other is Photomatix which is a download. This is essentially a HDR system but you can 'tone map' a single image and get some satisfying results. However, as a HDR system which merges three photos I think it's less impressive than the photo merge system on Lightroom 6 which I have on my desktop Mac.

The thing is, I take my MacBook on my travels and use it continually for processing photos so the Desktop/Lightroom doesn't get used so much.

I really don't get all this stuff above having an excruiatingly expensive pocket camera that you whip it and click, and within a nanosecond it does it's very best to take a really good piccy - and that is it. All these drooping shoulders with advertising camera slings, and bags and software to me seems totally daft. The piccy is to remind you later on when you are at home and depressed - of a lovely moment some time ago you enjoyed. Your memory triggered by the piccy fills in the gaps rather than fiddling around on your PC in the dark. :D

I have been eating a lot but I have not been photographing due to other distractions. Apologies. Today was Welsh lamb, poor little things. Une boite du vin rouge avec cardboard.

Jeff

D467DBCC-F8B2-4C51-AFA2-FAFE002E99DB.jpg

37BEE715-536E-4EEE-BDEE-9917408FE904.jpg

I can see it. Like you, Jeff, I don't do any post-processing, because our pics are simply for memories. But many photography buffs use their pictures as a form of art, with amazing results. To do that requires lots of modification. The results can be spectacular, and I for one am appreciative of their efforts. :D

Yummy lamb. We're cleaning out the fridge so it will be random food for the next 2 days.

Edited by jpalbny

Generally I'm a lazy photographer using compressed jpgs rather than raw and even more lazy - no post processing.

But I really do like the idea of making use of light room and raw images. I will need to look up for the cameras i'll be taking to make sure the image settings are correct to start with for HDR. I have done it before - but quite a while back - and I think that might have been using "magic lantern" which isn't on the canon 700.

There are not masses of images I'd want to enhance. . But will want to do at least a few with the notion of getting a few prints done.

Chops look yummy.

Jeff, how the lock picking going?

A useful skill in some circles.

Hi Spins .... looking forward to you and Soapy doing a double act together on. SS

at_home_with_hinge_and_bracket.jpg

I've mastered 5 or 6 bolt padlocks and now take two or three seconds but everything else is defeating me. I have a range of locks to try. I'll keep going.

I have turned over a new leaf.

Jeff

0027D0C2-D0B9-49B6-BD0D-4F2009C04EBE.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Jeff,

The photo is frighteningly accurate.

And I don't mean the food, which looks scrumptious. Are those pickles!

I do miss the peas...but I am sure we will have pub day once aboard and will get fish and chips and mushy peas while we sing silly songs.

Try some combination locks. Listen for the slight click which will allow you to crack the lock code. In high school I could usually open anyone's combination lock. A good skill when the combination sequence was forgotten. I didn't use the skill for bad deeds. :-)

Like you, Jeff, I don't do any post-processing, because our pics are simply for memories. But many photography buffs use their pictures as a form of art, with amazing results. To do that requires lots of modification. The results can be spectacular, and I for one am appreciative of their efforts. Yummy lamb. We're cleaning out the fridge so it will be random food for the next 2 days.

Fletcher: I have two systems on my MacBook apart from the iPhoto. One is Aperture which was Apple's answer to Photoshop. It's a great system' date=' I think, full of refinement, but it hasn't been updated for many years and I think is unavailable. [/quote']

mysty: Taj Mahal. Greetings Coolers! Yesterday was a grand adventure to Agra' date=' India and the Taj Mahal! After traveling by bus to the Mumbai airport to board an Air India chartered flight to Agra, more buses and battery powered minibuses there we arrived at this wonderful monument to love. I [b']won't bore you with pictures of the actual wonder[/b] as many have already taken breath-taking shots. Instead, here is a picture of some of the intricate detail of the structure.

Appreciate the excellent added discussions and comments on pictures, how they are used/saved/shared, etc. As per above from J.P., using pictures for memories can be wonderful. My interests are more along the photography as arts/creativity direction. To do what I call "fine-tuning" does not take massive amounts of time, but it is so "rewarding" personally to discover ways to improve "the look" and subject focus with these various images. It's fun to be able, in short order, to "save" a picture, get a more interesting angle/crop, improved look, etc.

YES, Jeff, that lamb did look super wonderful. Keep those great food pictures following along. Makes me hungry!!

Loved that one mysty Taj Mahal picture. No, you are not boring us!! Wish you would share many, many more from there. Can't get enough of those visual images.

From Fletcher, glad to know that you are a smart MacBook user with Aperture, etc. Yes, Apple has shifted to new program called "Photos" and Aperture is slowly being phased out. I am sticking with Aperture, for now, as it has some key tools that I like to use in a few cases.

Safe travel tomorrow for J.P. and Chris in going to Europe. Look forward to lots of pictures and details from those adventures.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 139,638 views for this posting.

A tres tres bon voyage to those who are about to go off on their adventures!

The best feeling of all is when you get on to your ship, and know that you are going to be looked after for however long you are on board. No decisions except where to eat, and what to eat and drink, if you enjoy that - I certainly do, and feel more than ready for our trip in the not too distant, being away for over three weeks. Yippee!!

Very best wishes to all up and coming travellers, and look forward to hearing your news in due course.

Lola