Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Randyk47...Thanks so much for the clarification on how things work relative to discounting. I enjoy doing research and planning as well. What I am looking for is an agent "in the know" who can go to bat for us when things get dicey. I need to get educated about what is available. I really appreciate all the helpful advice I have received here!

Tothesunset...And Canadians talk about the weather because we do get weather. Winters here can have temps of -30 C for days at a time and summers can have temps of 30 C for days at a time. In winter our weather forecasts include the "windchill" which is a supposed measure of how cold it actually feels. So the data might be a temperature of -30 C and a windchill of -38 C. In summer our weather forecasts include the "humidex" which is a supposed measure of how hot it actually feels. So the data might be a temperature of 30 C and a humidex of 38 C. Apparently in February of 2015 Canada's capital was the coldest on the planet. :)

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/canadas-capital-appears-to-have-been-coldest-on-the-planet-over-the-weekend

I remember Skiing in BC and sharing a lift with a chap who apologised for the unseasonably mild weather. It was -20!

We've lived in tropical climes in the Far East where the humidity in summer was the big killer but have never lived in a place with proper cold winters. I sort of envy you those real swings in conditions between the seasons - assuming good air con and a big log burner of course.;)

Regarding weather - yes, in the UK everyone has become what I might describe as a bit soppy in recent years - the weathermen on TV saying 'wrap up warm' etc. Drives us old'uns potty!

Regarding Agents - the one we use in the UK for our favoured line (not Silversea) does seem to have a tie-up with the line, maybe accounting for the discounts. They are easy to deal with, online or over the phone, and efficient and friendly and helpful, especially when you get to know someone there. I have no idea how this compares with the US, but understand the US Agents may give on board credit to their customers, plus maybe flowers in your suite, etc.? Being cheapskates, it is the discount which appeals to us.

Rainy day here today, but sunny and hot in Monza - Grand Prix tomorrow, and the new Haas team have a car in the top 10!

Lola

Frankly I would prefer a substantial discount vs flowers or a bottle of champagne.

I also want an agent who responds to my questions and helps me book flights and hotels.

Yes, I do the research and know the cruise I want.

I had also heard that silversea did not want any TAs discounting cruises, yet I also know that silversea dumps cruises not selling well to discounters.

A dichotomy, yes. But it's doing business, one must become an educated consumer.

I remember Skiing in BC and sharing a lift with a chap who apologised for the unseasonably mild weather. It was -20!

We've lived in tropical climes in the Far East where the humidity in summer was the big killer but have never lived in a place with proper cold winters. I sort of envy you those real swings in conditions between the seasons - assuming good air con and a big log burner of course.;)

Tothesunset...We Canadians seem to apologize a lot! :) I think even I would have been taken aback by a comment of -20 C being "mild weather". Not in my books!

Regarding weather - yes, in the UK everyone has become what I might describe as a bit soppy in recent years - the weathermen on TV saying 'wrap up warm' etc. Drives us old'uns potty!

Regarding Agents - the one we use in the UK for our favoured line (not Silversea) does seem to have a tie-up with the line, maybe accounting for the discounts. They are easy to deal with, online or over the phone, and efficient and friendly and helpful, especially when you get to know someone there. I have no idea how this compares with the US, but understand the US Agents may give on board credit to their customers, plus maybe flowers in your suite, etc.? Being cheapskates, it is the discount which appeals to us.

Rainy day here today, but sunny and hot in Monza - Grand Prix tomorrow, and the new Haas team have a car in the top 10!

Lola

Lola...thanks for adding to the discussion! Being a cheapskate myself I would go for a discount in a New York minute!

I think the cold gets to me more now than when I was younger. I see kids on the street here wading through multiple feet of snow without boots (because boots aren't cool) and without hats or scarves or substantial winter parkas (for the same reason as the lack of boots). I wander around the house in the winter wearing mutliple layers to keep warm. I look like Nanook of the North when I am forced to leave the house. :)

Frankly I would prefer a substantial discount vs flowers or a bottle of champagne.

I also want an agent who responds to my questions and helps me book flights and hotels.

Yes, I do the research and know the cruise I want.

I had also heard that silversea did not want any TAs discounting cruises, yet I also know that silversea dumps cruises not selling well to discounters.

A dichotomy, yes. But it's doing business, one must become an educated consumer.

Spins...I with you on the preference for a discount! Now I will have to figure out how to hook up with a relaible, responsive agent who can work with that! I like to do research myself as well. I would just prefer someone who knows the ins and outs and who can provide useful input and suggestions to make the trip even more awesome.

Apropos of absolutely nothing, I was reminded today of an extremely danceable song by Sweet called Ballroom Blitz circa 1973 (I think). My daughter (born in 1980) was in a long line of cars at a coffee place drive-through today when this song came on the radio. The car windows were down and she started to bounce in the driver's seat as she belted out the song with the radio. She drew smiles and laughs. I enjoyed the image and the song. :)

M,

I do remember Sweet!

At the moment we have a wonderful programme on British TV at this very moment, featuring the best of The Carpenters, I feel a totally under-appreciated "band". I still put Abba in top place as the best "pop group" of all time, with the Carpenters second. I know that many put The Beatles as the top "pop group" of all time, but has their music stood the test of time the way that Abba and The Carpenters doesn't age? Some but not many! Sadly, as with many things I didn't really appreciate The Carpenters at the time but now the combination of those lush, and clever enveloping Richard Carpenter arrangements with the vulnerability and nakedness of Karen's unforgettable voice that jumps out of a transistor radio is incomparable.

They are also featuring a singer talking about Karen's voice, her name is Rumer, who isn't well known in the UK but sounds like Karen. I have a habit of listening to music in bed through headphones, and one night in Sydney I heard her sing and sat bolt upright. Wifey cursed me! I had to remember her name so I could buy some of her music and scared I'd forget I put the light on and wrote it down. I was surprised the following day on Googling to discover she is based very close to where we live in the UK.

The Carpenters, such a talent I miss. Who'd have thought.

Jeff

J.. I am and was a Carpenters fan! And I also rank Abba above the Beatles. Heresy, I know! :) I am not a huge fan of what currently bases as music although there are a few ditties that capture me and lead to uncontrolled dancing. My daughter comes by her love of music honestly!

I think one of the saddest things is when you know that you will never hear anything new that you haven't already heard when a member of a band or cast dies. There will never be a new (good) Carpenters record!

We have a great UK comedy called "Father Ted" which I came to rather late, and it became a real favourite. And then the lead actor died, and you know nothing will replace him and you'll never see a new programme.p and that is sad.

Still my favourite female singer, a Canadian, Stacey Kent, is still very much alive but not doing much new. She did a concert in our home town and I saw her texting in the bar and chatted to her. It transpires that she went to Guildhall School of Music and Drama which was almost next door to where I lived in Barbican London. It is nice to meet people you admire. She is very small and lovely and has an amazing voice.

Jeff

You have some wonderful memories J! Thanks for sharing them! I am a little ashamed to admit that I have never heard of Stacey Kent. :( Not very partiotic of me is it? I think I will now have to check her out! As I age I am finding great enjoyment in my memories. Not as interesting as yours though. Still it is a treat to ramble down memory lane.

Stacey met an Englishman, in Cambridge or Guildhall think, and to be honest she isn't well known. I think she is a reluctant singer as she doesn't really think she can sing. She has a pure pitch perfect jazz voice and sings both in English and French.

Breakfast on the morning tram, and the ice hotel might be worth looking up. And appropriately, I wish I could go travelling again. Ces petits rien is good.

What is it with me and French singers!

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

J... according the wikipedia Stacey Kent was born and raised in the U.S.. I don't feel quite so badly now. :)

I should have been more attentive .... perhaps I presumed because she sings in French that she had to be a Canadian? I should google rather than believe my aging memory!

:)

Jeff

A favourite in Fletcher Hall is this dish of neck of lamb. The lamb is sealed in a pan, then in the same pan you brown thick slices of onion, add some garlic and a little cumin, some flour, homemade lamb stock, and return the lamb to the pan. Then you add previously soaked haricot and flageolet beans. Cook for about 90 minutes, then add homegrown tomatoes and cook for a further hour. I serve this with roast potatoes - some may think this is de trop but I like the crunch they give to the dish. An Aussie shiraz washes it down nicely.

DSCN3039_zps8g6jkqvk.jpg

Edited by Fletcher

Fletch .... that is a lovely looking dish! Quite right with those spuds!

Another vote for The Carpenters. That voice - every time I hear her sing I get slightly moist-eyed - as near perfect as makes no difference.

T, have you listened to Rumer? A couple of Rumer tasters .... you may like her ...

"Slow"

"Am I forgiven" .... because it demonstrates some of the similarities with Karen.

"Alfie" with Burt Bacharach ...

"Aretha"

"Reach Out"

... etc

Jeff

A but like yourself, Jeff, we first heard Rumer and thought it was an undiscovered Karen Carpenter recording. It was on the car radio which has one of those ''i'' buttons that you press and it tells you the song that's playing - except that it doesn't always. So when we were arguing over whether it was KC or not I hit the button and, guess what, it was one of those frustrating moments when the display failed. Had to wait for the end of the song.

''Rumer?''

''I thought that was a Fleetwood Mac album.''

''Moron.''

We agree, she is wonderful.

''Rumer?''

''I thought that was a Fleetwood Mac album.''

''Moron.''

Too funny!

I would have said...Rumer? I thought that was Bruce Willis' and Demi Moore's daughter! Though I am quite familiar with Rumours by Fleetwood Mac (it's even spelled correctly for those of you over on that side of the pond) ;)

Fletcher - that it a great looking dish! Sounds very tasty. The potatoes add some nice crunch, I bet. Good addition.

A favourite in Fletcher Hall is this dish of neck of lamb. The lamb is sealed in a pan, then in the same pan you brown thick slices of onion, add some garlic and a little cumin, some flour, homemade lamb stock, and return the lamb to the pan.

Tothesunset: Another vote for The Carpenters. That voice - every time I hear her sing I get slightly moist-eyed - as near perfect as makes no difference.

Appreciate the great lamb meal picture from Fletcher and the mentions on the The Carpenters. Yes, a very smooth and nice sound. BUT, sad what happened with Karen Carpenter in having suffered from anorexia nervosa. This eating disorder was not that well known at the time and her death at age 32 from heart failure caused by this complication related to her illness was very premature and tragic.

While many, especially those in the UK, are not much interested in college football starting this weekend, I thought that I would show below a nice weather view for how super wonderful it was yesterday in Central Ohio. We were joined by 107,000+ friends/fans yesterday afternoon at the start of the Ohio State football game. Any stadiums in the UK hold this many fans? Look nice? Like the sunny, blue skies? The game? Yes, Ohio State won 77-10 and will be moving up to a top five rating in the nation. The Buckeyes set an all-time record of 776 net yards gained by the offense. Lots of scoring and action, including by the performing bands!! And, the weather being not too hot!! Or, cold. Perfect weather day.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 42,147 views for these postings.

Here was the opening action in Ohio Stadium yesterday afternoon as the Ohio State football team was going on to the field to start yesterday kick-off game. Just a quick view from my iPhone.:

TravelSept164_zpslqpxztkn.jpg

Food? From last month, here was a nice pasta and scallops dinner enjoyed. Look good and tasty?:

TravelSept163_zpsxdxlorin.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio