Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

That meal looks scrumptious Terry!

YES, very perceptive by misty!! Appreciate the creative use of the word "scrumptious"!! Fun evening with my wife and no need to do the kitchen clean up.

We are now at less than three months till we head to Cape Town and doing our South Africa to Mozambique cruise on the Silver Cloud, plus then our time for Victoria Falls. AND, then three different safari camps in Botswana as a part of overall adventure escape from the Midwest winter cold in late January and February 2016.

From the Los Angeles Times Nov. 3, they have this headline: "Best country in the world? Botswana, says Lonely Planet" with these highlights: "When you think of places you'd like to visit next year, does Botswana pop to the top of your list? It did for Lonely Planet. It also ranked Botswana as the 'it' country, calling it 'invigoratingly wild.' "

Lots of newspapers and others played up these results and it certainly helps building up our excitement for visiting this areas of the world, especially being in Botswana that has placed its priority on quality, ecco-tourism. Their long-term plan is to not want too much development and/or over use of these key, fragile areas with their scenic/wildlife wonders.

Their publication also named Transylvania in Romania as the best region and Kotor, Montenegro, as the best city. They noted that if you are looking to stretch your dollar on your vacation, Lonely Planet gave their top recommendations as best for value as: 1. Estonia. 2. Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi in Vietnam. 3. East Africa. Lots of very good options for future travel!!

Full story at:

http://www.latimes.com/travel/california/la-trb-lonely-planet-2016-travel-20151101-story.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 31,963 views for these postings.

J..... have you spent time in Hong Kong? I'm doing planning for our big adventure. We were in HK after our son and daughter-in-law were married in Nanjing in 2009. We had a wonderful Peking Duck meal while we were there. I wanted to have that meal again when we are in port. I found a restaurant in the InterContinental Hotel called Yan Toh Heen that got good reviews and is just a short walk from Ocean Terminal. Thoughts?????

J..... have you spent time in Hong Kong? I'm doing planning for our big adventure. We were in HK after our son and daughter-in-law were married in Nanjing in 2009. We had a wonderful Peking Duck meal while we were there. I wanted to have that meal again when we are in port. I found a restaurant in the InterContinental Hotel called Yan Toh Heen that got good reviews and is just a short walk from Ocean Terminal. Thoughts?????

As you know .... Singapore now has all our Asian time .... I think you should stick with YTH as it seems to be still very highly rated and another place often recommended is Island Tang.

The other thing of interest is that Michelin announced a couple of days ago that Hong Kong is the first place the will figure in their guide for street food. Also the cheapest Michelin starred eatery in the world is in HK I believe.

Jeff

Terry, You forgot to include a photo of Las Ramblas, every souvenir you didn't realize you needed, sold at three stalls on every block.

Yes, Mark, there are plenty of Las Ramblas shopping "opportunities". Some very nice, unique and interesting!! Some kind of the typical touristy stuff, average, etc. I did show earlier today a couple of pictures of interesting buildings along that famed part of Barcelona. Below are a few more of my Barcelona pictures that focus on the shopping variety, potentials, etc.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 30,337 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

From the Las Ramblas, here is one of the many stands with nice, fresh flowers, plants, etc. Plus, there are many "entertainment" options as street performers show off their skills. And, enjoyable street designs, architectural touches, etc. Great, fun city!!:

BarcelFreshFlowersRambla.jpg

Oct2015PixsA7_zps40x29zwd.jpg

Oct2015PixsA8_zpsiehlihhh.jpg

Plain stuff this eveninbg. Made a quantity of chicken liver pate today (I don't think any of the stuff I buy is decent) - and it was good and joined by a bowl of beef consomme with a slug of red .... as you might be able to tell.

Wifey really likes the chop liver / pate and wants me to make some every week or so. That is a result.

:)

Jeff

BD4E2B43-ED23-4151-9257-DD16CEBED754.jpg

1F4354D1-6981-46B5-A3D7-FE888FD354C2.jpg

Jeff, you sure you don't want a statin to go with that delicious pate? So yummy, but even a huge slug of red wine can only dissolve so much! ;)

Speaking of poultry fat... Found a nice whole duck today... About to head into the kitchen to trim it and cook a nice simple dish with the breasts for tonight. Pan-seared then finished with a simple sauce of pan drippings with shallots, raspberries, and honey.

The legs and the rest of the duck gets used to make a duck ragu to go over pasta... I found a recipe that is to die for, and the last time I had the duck ragu on Silversea, I have to be honest, it was a little disappointing compared to this recipe.

The difference is that this recipe cooks the meat slowly until it falls off the bone and shreds into pieces, but in La Terraza they grind the meat. The texture makes this dish IMO.

Edited by jpalbny

JP

I lived in port fierce for awhile, actually on Hutchinson island.

You will note I changed the words. Twas a scary place back then with one of highest murder rates in USA.

It's changed a lot since the big hurricane.

I can't take any more out of suitcase/duffles.

Jeff

Pate looks great.

Terry/JP

Antarctica fight was 7.4 k per person

Terry/JP Antarctica fight was 7.4 k per person

WOW!! Not cheap!! BUT, three questions? Is that for coach or first class? From where to where on the flights? With what airline or airlines?

Antarctica is on our future to-do list and it's always good to be learning and preparing ahead for these many "details".

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 206,278 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Jeepers spinnaker2. That's some expensive airfare, but for an open jaw itinerary they do sometimes sock it to you. And South Africa is really a ridiculously long flight to the continental US. We flew direct from ALT-JNB a few years back and it's 15.5h in the air. Crazy, but that flight is longer than LAX-SYD.

It must be cheaper RT MIA-EZE for a "normal" Antarctica sailing, but I guess you were looking at the very unusual Silver Explorer itinerary that repositions the ship in March, from South America to Africa? They only do that every other year, it seems. We've looked at that but too many sea days. Plus the South Atlantic is no picnic. I think a few years back, Silver Explorer rescued the crew from a sinking boat while they were on that route.

Dinner tonight was everything we'd hoped for. The duck was delicious - I've made this recipe a few times and practice does make (near) perfect. I kept a very close eye on the duck breasts while cooking so I got them nicely medium, and the sauce was great too.

upload_-1.jpg

For a side we had farro. We love that grain! I soaked some dried cherries and cranberries in Chambord, and chopped a few toasted pecans to go with it.

upload_-1.jpg

With some broccoli and a nice Finger Lakes red, dinner was served!

upload_-1.jpg

Tonight's wine was from our favorite New York winery. Hermann J Wiemer was a native of Bernkastel, a place we drove through in September on the Mosel. He planted Vinifera grapes in Upstate New York back in the 1960s when no one thought he would succeed. His vineyards now produce great wines.

One of the owners, Oskar, is another Audi enthusiast so we're looking forward to bringing the S6 to the winery next time. If you're even in the Upstate New York area and looking for a winery to tour, this place is second to none.

http://wiemer.com/winery/history/

upload_-1.jpg

The duck legs are safely tucked away in the fridge so I can make the ragu tomorrow. I also saved the liver; might try to make a small pate!

Terry. Flight from mia to ba. Cape town to mia. Biz class. But remember it's last minute. Dh 6'5". Doesn't fit in econ if he wants to walk when we get there

spinnaker2: Washing my car. Washing Windows. Cleaning house.

UKCruiseJeff: That duck looks good! Perfect Pink

Appreciate the flight info from Candy. As a guy who is 6' 2"' date=' I can understand the need for Business Class in going those long, long distances for your 6' 5" dh. BUT, the price does add up given all of those factors, distances, details, etc.

Glad you are so skilled in with car washing, windows, etc. Come on up to Ohio to help us out with those chores.

YES, YES, the [b']duck does look wonderful.[/b]

For Mark and Candy, the University of Michigan looked good winning 49-16 against Rutgers.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 125,492 views for this posting.

spinnaker2, have a great trip, and a smooth crossing! Two of our travel friends just sailed on Silver Spirit from Athens to Rome and had a great time. Your trip starts in Barcelona I think. Enjoy! Can't wait to be there soon.

Apologies to jeff and Terry, but jp, I reckon your duck pictures take the Oscar at present for best picture. Oh, just corrected my spelling for duck - can you imagine what I typed - truly!

Spin - I hope you have a wonderful cruise, and they treat you right in business class. The long haul costs nowadays are ridiculous - more for 12 hours in the air than two weeks on a wonderful ship. Having travelled far and wide in the past, including when business was cheaper or my DH was paid for, we have now opted for European travel only, when cattle class is not so different. We do not need extra luggage, and not too much point in having a lounge for drinkipoos at 7 a.m. Though fast track through security would be nice.

I did eventually manage to have a couple of journeys when flat beds were introduced, heaven.

Fellow Brits - am I just a crabby old woman, or does anyone agree that, particularly over about the last 10 years, our nation has succumbed to becoming feeling 'entitled', and to mawkish sentimentality (things like strangers leaving flowers and teddies at the sites of sudden deaths). Seems to me to apply particularly to slightly younger people, say under 50 or so.

Various recent happenings have made me feel like this - what does anyone think? And if so, I wonder if there is a specific reason.

Fellow Brits - am I just a crabby old woman, or does anyone agree that, particularly over about the last 10 years, our nation has succumbed to becoming feeling 'entitled', and to mawkish sentimentality (things like strangers leaving flowers and teddies at the sites of sudden deaths). Seems to me to apply particularly to slightly younger people, say under 50 or so.

Various recent happenings have made me feel like this - what does anyone think? And if so, I wonder if there is a specific reason.

Not crabby at all ......

As you know, I am a student of the unexpected, unintended and unwanted conseunces of disparate social trends. I think this one comes about as a result of the "blackmail" caused by societal lowering of the bar of what people now claim offends them. This has led to the scenario where you are no longer allowed to express personal views about anything. You can think things but not say them. And when the offendee claims to be offended they are in a particularly good exploitable place if they are in a postion that would otherwise justify sympathy. So in your example (for example) .... you are not allowed to say about the litter along our roads that distracts others where an accident has taken place .... or where people put garish lights or teddies that you diagree because you will be called unfeeling, harsh and unsympathetic. The fact that all the majority must make way with their preferences for a single person claiming fainites immunity is something we should confront, but intelligent people are two weary from being attacked for doing so. This is yet a further form of bullying by taking advantage of your bereavement to get your own way, and "they " know it and exploit it to it's fullest.

A trend that is associated with this is at the same time that we need people to freel a sense of personal responsibility for themselves and for those that we are responsible for, we do our best to disenfranchise that rsponsibility.

One of the worst of these is where our government and local authorities (who have been given delegated parent prosecution authority) the abuse of the Education Acts which has a clause that gives authorities the responsibility to guide and if necessary prosecute parents who fail to have their children attend school regularly. This authority has been abused to now assume this incluides parents who's children otherwise have an excellent attendance record who take their kids out of school for a few days for a holiday or other things. As you will know this is now seen as an obligation to fine and prosecute and now includes dieing parents who wish to have a final holiday with their kids before they die.

This tells parents at one moment they must be responsible for their kids and then tells them that they have no say in what is best for them and that authorites can decide by abusing the law. So are parents responsible for the well being of their kids or not?

I guess this makes me a crabby old man as well.

By the way I agree that JP's duck certainly wins a prize and one should never feel that feelings are compromised by being nice about people's piccies .... although I will say in advance that I personally will not be posting piccies of childen as these are "things" I am ambivalent about until they are older generally except when served slowly roasted like suckling pig. :D

Jeff

Good Morning All,

Lovely photos on show....JP your duck dish looks superb but I'm not a fan of pink or pan fried...prefer mine crispy roasted...agree about the ragu on SS...wasn't that good last trip for me either, did however have the wild boar stew on board which was delicious.

L.....lets group a crabby old women's society....[emoji6] I find it rather uncomfortable to see flowers and such placed at accident sites.....I'm sure it perhaps gives comfort to those suffering a loss but l really can't see the point as l feel grief is very personal.

Spin.....Bon Voyage....hope you have a wonderful crossing on the lovely Spirit and safe travels.

I seem to have been lucky with business class travel at decent fares......bagged a First seat on BA to Miami last April which was actually cheaper than Club World....maybe l just got it at the right time. For next April I've managed to book UC with Virgin using 50k air miles plus £345 cash top up....l almost fainted when the agent told me how much it was...needless to say l grabbed it with both hands!!

I truly get depressed if l have to travel cattle these days....particularly LH..........l just like to be comfortable and refuse to compromise.....and if it's too expensive l don't go!!

I did succumb for my return Athens flight and booked EasyJet....only because it was a far better route and got me home four hours earlier than BA via LHR and it was just fine....so maybe I'm mellowing...a bit[emoji15]

It's a horribly wet and windy day here so I'm writing Christmas cards.....some with the annual letters to old friends which is turning out to be a joy with the new fountain pen the kids bought me for my birthday...makes my handwriting almost legible!!

Cottage pie with mushy peas for lunch today....or sloppy peas as my old Gran used to call them......enjoying some Merlot right now......

Happy Sunday

Sophia [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I looked at air last year was doable.

But last minute, not so much.

Depending on your inclinations .... I suggest you give more serious thought about devoting a little of your leisure time to getting to grips with one or two frequent flyer programmes. You don't need to know too much about them ... just where to ask others questions. And possibly to buy a service that tells you what redemption is available if your chosen line doesn't allow it easilly. That extra knowledge often gives the opportunity to acquire .... even buy miles ... cheaply and are often extra useful when wanting an expensive route at the last minute. It can offer some decent savings. At the moment you have forgone a trip that you might have been able to acquire if you had had a bit more knowledge.

With your increasing leisure you may have even more opportunities to get last-minute cruises - perhaps at decent prices - if you could just also get reasonably priced airfares. Airlines often release redemption either a year out or at the last minute.

Looking forward to hearing from you when on the seas.

Jeff

Morning Fellow Coolers! At least it is morning here. Sunny and crisp! Lots of interesting thoughts on offer today....

Totally agree that JPs pictures of the awesome meal and beautiful plating have earned him a walk on the red carpet. Bravo JP!

On the topic of "memorials", one of the latest trends here is the use of a bicycle painted white called a "ghost bike" which is placed at the scene of the death of a cyclist on our city streets. The city council is trying to limit the amount of time that the "ghost bike" should be allowed to take up space of city sidewalks and streets and some of the populace is crying foul. They want the bikes to stay forever. Touchy subject here too.

Have a great day Coolers!

Thanks all for good wishes.

Old dog had rough night.

She still recognizes suitcases and what they mean.

I have too much nervous energy now.

In law school when I felt this way the refrigerator suddenly needed cleaning and the coils vacuumed.

Jeff I do have status on several airlines, believe me I tried to use miles to book or upgrade. No go.

Also did divide clothing between duffles, but if they all get lost, like last time its no help.

Larry is carrying his meds.

He's worried he will get stopped with so much medication.

Will post again I hope.

O, Jeff...

Used to do some work for cruise lines and got friends and family rates.

Could never use them as I worked ridiculous hours and as a trial lawyer usually prepping for the showdown.

Now, as not working, I don't get those offers...maybe I will see if I can.

Thanks for idea!