NCL - do not do business with this cruise line, they renege on agreements

peteukmcr

[quote name='peteukmcr'][url]Www.jet2.com[/url] check it out! Do you want my booking reference. I am NOT a liar which you are insinuating I am.

I work in travel and I can assure you, it is possible so YES and your sister is wrong and I work in Amadeus and Galileo for your info.[/QUOTE]

If you work in travel then you should know either the importance of travel insurance and or reading the contract of the travel agreement.

[quote name='maywell']What part of "When a customer cancels a booking on their own recognizance , NCL doesn't owe them anything regarding third-party bookings like airfare, car service, etc; that was not done through them" are you not understanding in either version of the contracts (US & EU/UK).

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

NCL cancelled their cruise, not the other way around. Just because they offered other unsuitable choices for them to switch to does not take away this fact.

[quote name='abe3']If you work in travel then you should know either the importance of travel insurance and or reading the contract of the travel agreement.[/QUOTE]

If you read the thread, he has insurance, but it does not cover the full amount, there is a deductible. He does not believe he should be out money since NCL cancelled the cruise. I agree with him.

[quote name='SuiteCruiser']If you read the thread, he has insurance, but it does not cover the full amount, there is a deductible. He does not believe he should be out money since NCL cancelled the cruise. I agree with him.[/QUOTE]Thank you, I appreciate your support.

[quote name='peteukmcr']What's missing? Oh forget it, I'm basically branded as a liar by some on here. Whatever I say, or what I provide will not stop the U.S. armchair lawyers and cheerleaders.

I do know the importance of travel insurance and answered that accusation earlier thank you, BUT remember I'm reporting that NCL said they would refund me, now they won't.[/QUOTE]Sorry if I missed it, but are they saying no, because you are not rebooking your cruise?

I would write a letter to Mr. Stuart (with all the attached documentation) and ask why they will not refund you the airline change fee, since they agreed to it in to of the emails and NCL was the one that cancelled your cruise. I'm sure Mr. Stuart will not get the letter, but surely someone will answer you and you can come to some closure.

The more info you give them, the more they'll ask for. They will never admit that NCL could be wrong.

And there it is in a nutshell. Of course NCL could be wrong...it goes without saying. However, the OP could just as easily be wrong....but where is THAT being mentioned?

Two sides to every story. Why jump to conclusions based on only the drama from one side?

Not true Jan. There is something missing from this whole topic from the OP and it does not add up.

Nothing missing at all - NCL cancelled OP's originally booked cruise. They did not offer a satisfactory alternative to fulfil their part of the contract - OP exercised his right to cancel due to their non performance of the original contract. NCL are in breach of contract - they owe OP damages.

Wake up and smell the coffee - NCL have turned from a customer-centered organisation to a shareholder-centered organisation.

Who is getting screwed - not the shareholders...

Work it out - the evidence is overwhelming.

If you wish to continue to deal with an organisation which seems to treat customers as cash cows and feel that they can chop and change their product willy-nilly, you crack on. I am rather more discerning about who I deal with - NCL are heading towards the snake-oil salesmen category at the moment IMHO.

If there's a lesson to be learned, its this - get your third-party bookings like airfare fees, hotels, etc money back 1st, BEFORE cancelling completely with NCL. Don't do what the OP did, doing it backwards by cancelling the cruise fare 1st then wanting the airfare fees back later - or else you're going to be crying a river on the internet for while.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

Irrelevant - the contract was for 'sail on ship X on dates Y to Z'. NCL won't provide that - thus fundamental breach of contract - thus they must compensate the injured party back to where the contract never existed (reasonably foreseeable losses only).

First, I don't drink cool aid. Second, I'm not drunk. Third, I'm not a cheerleader. I found information missing from the oP's first post. Asked and received. I do understand that an agent/PCC or other employee gave some information in the first call based on the OP moving to another NCL cruise. No real clear answer to the second call but again not a manager but appears to be an agent. But the third call was very clear that since OP cancelled there would be no airline refund. OP has insurance to cover these things but doesn't want to use it. His choice.

Now, all this talk about breach of contract. Here's what our legal system says: "Breach of contract means failing to perform any term of a contract without a legitimate legal excuse. The contract may be either written or oral". I'm guessing from NCL's perspective, not having a ship there at the appointed port on the appointed day is a legitimate legal excuse!

However, some of our friends on the other side of the pond seem to believe this is a legal issue in Britain. If that's the case, I would think legal council is in order. Personally I would think the insurance that is paid for already would be the reasonable course, but that's just me. I do hope the OP finds another cruise line that is more to his/her liking. Wherever they end up, I hope they have a wonderful cruise.

How do do you, strictly on the basis of a one sided post, know what their legal liabilities are? Have you examined all the relevant documents from both sides?

The phrase armchair quarterback comes to mind. Can you say: travel insurance?

NCL cancelled the original cruise lock, stock and barrel. Therefore the OP is entitled to be compensated for all reasonably foreseeable, consequent losses due to NCL's breach of contract.

Why should the insurance company pick up the tab (and by extension the other customers of said insurance company), when the fault is clearly NCL's?

NCL took a commercial decision to cancel this (and many other cruises). They should have factored into that decision, the associated compensation costs.

What is so hard about grasping this simple concept?:confused:

http://Www.jet2.com check it out! Do you want my booking reference. I am NOT a liar which you are insinuating I am.

I work in travel and I can assure you, it is possible so YES and your sister is wrong and I work in Amadeus and Galileo for your info.

Not that I didn't believe you, but I checked and sure enough you can book more than a year out.

Standard operating procedure for the NCL cheerleading squad is to attack the messenger who describes anything less than an optimal dealing with NCL. Don't take it personally.

Peteukmcr i told you on your first post NOT to cancell your flights...all the latest changes made by ncl have made me very sad and angry but i told you since you never booked any flights with NCL now you wont get any refund...a cruiseline any cruiseline would never refund sth that you have not booked thtough them...ncl doesnt care how you reach their ship..thats your problem.ncl just cares about the cruise you booked with them and nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am absolutely disgusted with NCL.

Two customer service reps have confirmed over the phone (3rd & 15th August) that NCL will pay up to £97 per person for any changes I have to make to flights already booked, or up to that amount if I need to cancel them due to NCL cancelling my cruise.

I also have a request from a PCC via email (which I received on 15th August) to submit the receipts for refund of our flights by NCL as shown below.

"Any receipt’s you have for flight and hotels please forward them to me directly and I will get our finance and guest relations team to refund you accordingly."

I sent the details of our flights to her.

So after I cancel the cruise on 17th August, due to there being no suitable alternative, I received an email containing the following on Tuesday, 18th August:

"Please find the attached confirmation that your cruise on the Norwegian Jade has been cancelled. Please can you also provide a copy of the flight booking so I can arrange a payment to cover the cancellation fee, upto £97.00"

Today I received an email advising that NCL will now NOT refund the cost of our flights that need to be cancelled as they are no longer of any use to us as we will not be sailing on Jade.

The email contained this:

"After reviewing your booking, its with regret that I have to advise that the £97.00 is not on offer for the cancelled Norwegian Jade sailing."

Totally unacceptable and a shocking way to do business.

What a bad deal! You have every right to be ticked off. I hope you can get this resolved in the manner the company told you they would do.

What's missing? Oh forget it, I'm basically branded as a liar by some on here. Whatever I say, or what I provide will not stop the U.S. armchair lawyers and cheerleaders.

I do know the importance of travel insurance and answered that accusation earlier thank you, BUT remember I'm reporting that NCL said they would refund me, now they won't.

First off, thank you for sharing your experience as it is good to know what can happen if a cruise is cancelled and what financial implications may affect us. Secondly, I am sorry that you have come under attack by other members here on CC and that your integrity has been questioned. That should not happen. People asked for more details and you provided them and still you were berated. Sad.

I am curious if you were asking NCL to compensate you entirely for the fees incurred with the cancelled flights or just for the portion not covered by your insurance? I do feel that they owe you that at the very least.

NCL seems to be freely offering compensation for those who reschedule their cruises in the form of OBC for the inconvenience. It seems only right that they should be offering compensation to those who are unable to reschedule as well. These folks, in my opinion, are the ones suffering more from the cancellations. Especially if they can prove they have experienced a financial loss because the company cancelled the cruise. Cancelled flights are not the only expense someone might incur. Many hotel booking sites have rates that can be booked with a no cancellation clause. Many book their pre and post cruise accommodation as early as possible.

As others have suggested you should keep pursuing this. I do believe the cruise line should make you whole. I can't imagine the deductible to the insurance company can be that much.

Best of luck to you and rest assured there are many people here who believe you and your experience.

Rochelle

Peteukmcr i told you on your first post NOT to cancell your flights...all the latest changes made by ncl have made me very sad and angry but i told you since you never booked any flights with NCL now you wont get any refund...a cruiseline any cruiseline would never refund sth that you have not booked thtough them...ncl doesnt care how you reach their ship..thats your problem.ncl just cares about the cruise you booked with them and nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I saw that too on the OP's other post. You clearly told him to not cancel his cruise until this was resolved, yet he chose to do it anyway.

I just don't understand, if the OP paid for insurance that is not going to be refunded and is now lost, why not use it to get the money. Surely the OP was not going to collect from NCL and then an insurance claim.

I know the OP has said a few times now that he is gone, but he comes back. So again, I hope you find another cruise line to your liking and have a wonderful trip. And if the OP does in fact win a legal award in the UK, I hope he comes back here and lets us know. I would be very happy for him if he can pick up a few thousand. But with hundreds of lawyers on staff both here and in the UK, I bet they have this covered.

Ok. By your logic what about EVERYONE who books a cruise and then cancels before final payment? Should NCL sue THEM? What does the contract say about NCL cancelling? It happens. Ships break down, get chartered and get repositioned. Another reason for insurance.

Ok. By your logic what about EVERYONE who books a cruise and then cancels before final payment? Should NCL sue THEM? What does the contract say about NCL cancelling? It happens. Ships break down, get chartered and get repositioned. Another reason for insurance.

In UK, if you cancel before final payment you lose your deposit.

Ref the other stuff - Google force majeure - HOWEVER - in this case it was a voluntary act by NCL so they bear the consequences.