Jeans in Dining room

roverix

I am not looking to start any kind of arguments about what is proper. Just want to know if the 20 somethings in our group can wear nice jeans ( no holes etc.) with a polo shirt on non gala nights. We will be on a Caribbean cruise during the holidays. Coming from South Florida, nice jean at dinner is fine. Thanks for your help.

I don't think it really matters anyway, as they only enforce the most egregious violations of the suggested dress code anyway. Last week on the Eurodam we were seated, at dinner, next to a family with two teenaged boys in cut off jeans shorts and mom wearing her workout clothes (tank top, capri length yoga pants, and sneakers).

No one wants to be the ogre who enforces rules, whether it's dress or pool behavior (kids in the supposed adults only pool, for example). Since HAL is not going to insist on maintaining the standards they set, I wish they'd just drop them so I'm not expecting one thing and getting another.

Yes, jeans are OK for the MDR.

But I wouldn't take jeans for the Caribbean. The only time the 20-somethings are likely to wear them is for dinner. The rest of the time they'll probably be in shorts. I'd pack trousers instead of jeans. They're lighter to pack and cooler in case the "kids" do have a need to wear long pants off the ship.

NOT a dress code comment, just a packing suggestion.

I stand corrected. I had not read the dress code in a while and did not realize the had gotten away from "smart casual" and allowed jeans in the MDR. I wonder if backwards ball caps are okay now too? :)

Of course, Dude!

I often wonder why the fascination or need to wear jeans in the MDR anyway? On most cruises except for those in cooler climes they would be really uncomfortable and there are other choices. But wear what you want, why try to start another conversation about it?

I often wonder why the fascination or need to wear jeans in the MDR anyway? On most cruises except for those in cooler climes they would be really uncomfortable and there are other choices. But wear what you want, why try to start another conversation about it?

Some jeans are far more comfortable than most slacks. IE Lucky Brand jeans.

They breath, are soft, etc. Heaven, really.

I'm 57 and wore jeans to the MDR for the first time on our recent Statendam cruise to AK. We had a late excursion and I already had on a "polo" shirt so I figured why not. I did change out of my sneakers. But I'm from WV so many folks wouldn't be surprised if I went barefoot.

I don't think it really matters anyway, as they only enforce the most egregious violations of the suggested dress code anyway. Last week on the Eurodam we were seated, at dinner, next to a family with two teenaged boys in cut off jeans shorts and mom wearing her workout clothes (tank top, capri length yoga pants, and sneakers).

No one wants to be the ogre who enforces rules, whether it's dress or pool behavior (kids in the supposed adults only pool, for example). Since HAL is not going to insist on maintaining the standards they set, I wish they'd just drop them so I'm not expecting one thing and getting another.

The family you saw was definitely below HAL's suggestion/code/whatever. When people show up to dinner in workout clothes, my first thought is to wonder if they've come straight from the gym. :eek:

But in general, what did you see? What looked to be average or typical dress on "gala" nights? What looked to be average or typical dress of not-gala nights?

....for whatever it's worth....on our recent Alaska cruise we saw quite a few people in jeans on the second "gala" night in the MDR. Seems anything goes. While nice not to have to pack formal wear and accessories, I personally don't have a problem with nice casual on gala night. Nonetheless, the reality seems to be that you can wear whatever you want where and whenever you want.

Edited by Browser495

There seems to be a misperceptions that jeans are always tight, uncomfortable, blue, unstylish, and made from heavy denim.

Nothing could be further from reality. Perhaps thirty years ago....but not today.

I agree totally. Today's jeans are a world apart from the jeans I wore in university. Although even then, they were extremely comfortable.

I have several pair of jeans and none of them are as comfortable as my "dress" pants. I wonder where you find comfortable jeans. Getting back to the subject of the op as many posters have pointed out jeans are fine of smart casual nights and likely gala too as Hal has decided they don't care what people wear.

I happen to be wearing a light weight, comfortable Jean right now.

So comfortable in fact that I plan to wear them on a ten hour flight next week.

I hear you. I have a pair of dressy black jeans that I often wear on a long flight. :) I am not a jean fan, but these really, really do the trick ;)