Crown or Ruby

BR47

Thinking about Alaska cruise for next July. Which is better the Crown or Ruby Princess? Crown cruises Glacier Bay and Ruby cruises Twin Sawyer Glaciers. Also which is the better ship?

Thanks for you comments.

I'd go with Glacier for your first Alaska cruise. Crown and Ruby are very similar. ( have sailed on both) Ruby is newer. Both are lovely. I'd also consider costs, itinerary, and cabin location. Also, if you are not planning a land tour ahead of time to Denali, I'd highly recommend you look at Grand Princess RT from San Francisco. You will say a bundle on air.

Edited by Donder1

We prefer the Ruby over the Crown and I am not sure why. However Glacier Bay trumps Tracey Arm so I would go with the Crown.

As for a balcony, if this is going to be your one and only trip, yes, go with a balcony. However, many veteran Alaskan cruisers don't bother with one and that would particularly be true with a cruise out of Seattle which spends the better part of a day each way well out in the Pacific where you aren't going to see anything; then throw in your port days, on your glacier day if you really want to take in everything you need to be out on deck walking around....add in the chance of fog, low cloud and rain....well its your decision. Personally speaking I would rather spend the money on a more expensive excursion.

We spend hours and hours on our balcony in Alaska rain or shine. :D

Would never cruise there without one.

Don't forget the binoculars. :D

Absolutely! I love to sit and watch for whales and other sea life. If it's cold, I just bundle up. I haven't done Alaska without a balcony yet.

We prefer the Ruby over the Crown and I am not sure why. However Glacier Bay trumps Tracey Arm so I would go with the Crown.

As for a balcony, if this is going to be your one and only trip, yes, go with a balcony. However, many veteran Alaskan cruisers don't bother with one and that would particularly be true with a cruise out of Seattle which spends the better part of a day each way well out in the Pacific where you aren't going to see anything; then throw in your port days, on your glacier day if you really want to take in everything you need to be out on deck walking around....add in the chance of fog, low cloud and rain....well its your decision. Personally speaking I would rather spend the money on a more expensive excursion.

Always the Ruby:

IMG_1116.jpg

The Ruby hands down. I know they are similar. I've been on both more than once. My issue with the Crown is that every time I sailed on it, something happened. Worst weather, a passenger getting really sick and having to be evacuated, etc. My Ruby cruises were just better overall.

Tammy

Thoughts on not getting a balcony for Alaska?

Yes! get a balcony.....we like the AFT. Ask room steward to please bring you a couple of lap robes to use out there as it will be chilly. I always bring a winter hat, mittens and scarf for Glacier and Tracy Arm. Cozy!

And, get a good, lightweight binoculars. LLbean has Nikon which are light to carry, but powerful. They always have free shipping, too.

Don't forget wine!

Edited by Donder1

The Ruby hands down. I know they are similar. I've been on both more than once. My issue with the Crown is that every time I sailed on it, something happened. Worst weather, a passenger getting really sick and having to be evacuated, etc. My Ruby cruises were just better overall.

Tammy

Those are "ship happens" types of events, and have nothing to do with whether the Crown is an OK ship to book a cruise on.

I have cruised on each of these ships more than once and was very happy with both of them. Beautiful ships, great food and entertainment, wonderful crew and staff.

I have done two AK cruises, both times Inside Passage out of Seattle, and enjoyed them immensely. Once was in a balcony cabin and once was in an inside cabin.

While IMO a balcony is always preferable for AK (actually any cruise), but if your budget allows, try for at least an Oceanview, because from dawn to dusk there is almost always beauty to be seen outside.

I simply love Tracy Arm fjord. The scenery is amazing. I haven't been to Glacier Bay .... yet, but hope to some time.

In the meanwhile, I am quite sure that, no matter which itinerary you choose, you will find AK incredibly beautiful.