Baltic cruise

JESTICO46

You will get answers here but a great place to ask about this is on the Ports Of Call Board.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Soft-Molded-Cooler-Black/dp/B00J0RZZHW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440240137&sr=8-1&keywords=collapsible+cooler&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011

For Copenhagen, you will dock right downtown.

Keith

Hi, & welcome to Cruise Critic.

Tallinn - very easy. The nearest part of the old town (IMHO the only part of the city worth visiting) is a squat tower with the unflattering name of Fat Margaret about a 15 minute walk from your ship, & the centre of old town is another ten minutes or so. Some of old town is extremely steep, but there's enough of interest in the lower part if hills are a problem. Ships also offer (payable) shuttles to old town.

A very very pleasant & attractive port-of-call, not spectacular but ideal for a lazy day before or after St Petersburg.

Copenhagen - totally depends where you port.

If on Langelinne (near the little mermaid) it's a longish but pleasant & interesting waterfront walk to Nyhavn & the city centre - aim to walk at least one way.

If your port is just around the corner from Langelinne it's a longer walk or a short bus or taxi ride.

If you port at the new cruise terminal you'll need transport, sorry I don't know the arrangements but there'll certainly be DIY options.

Once in the city, it's flat & reasonably compact so you don't need transport.

Helsinki - aim for the market place, it's on the waterfront in the centre of town but it's a bit too far to walk. Ships usually provide a payable shuttle or there are hop-on buses or taxis & possibly other options. From Market Place consider a boat trip or a cheap ride on the tram which drives a circular route round town including stops for the Olympic park, Sibelius Park, & the Rock Church.

Keith has clicked on a wrong button & given you a wrong link to the ports of call.

We now know Keith's buying habits from Amazon :D

Here's the correct link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=192

As far as I know all large ships berth in the same place for St Petersburg and all ships berth in the same port for Tallinn and Helsinki, but not in places like Copenhagen & Stockholm. If you ask any more questions, it's worth quoting your actual port if you know it - or quote your ship's name.

The Baltic is a great place to cruise, have a good one.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Tallin is an easy walk for an able bodied person.

Rick Steves has a very good Northern European port guide book, that will give you information on how to do the ports DIY. Also there is a ton of information on CCs Northern European ports of call section. There are a couple possible areas where your ship may port in Copenhagen and Helsinki, so it would be a good idea to look through the ports of call section.

Edited by buggins0402

In Helsinki and Copenhagen you can. Don't know about Tallin ... never been there.

Even though these are walkable...a shuttle will be offered as well...we preferred to use them much quicker.

Can you easily get to city centres from port in Helsinki, Tallin and Copenhagen independently?

My husband and I (both 65, hate to admit it) just did the Baltic cruise in June and we used the Rick Steves book, Please do so, it has great info. I had an ap on my iPhone called pacer which tells you how many steps and miles you have done for the day. In Tallinn we did 7.3 miles, that is walking from the ship, through the town and back. Wear good shoes because the cobblestones are killer but I managed. There is a great Medieval museum in the St Nicolas Church or next to it. Just amazing and only 3 euros admission.

Helsinki we took the shuttle because as Rick Steves said it's a pretty ugly industrial area to walk through and the shuttle seemed easier. Walk down the esplanade and head to the Kauppatori market square. Try the little fishes they fry up they are delicious and also the salmon soup was great. There are all kinds of stalls selling souvenirs, prices were good. Only did about 4 miles walking there.

Copenhagen we docked at Langeline so the walk was real easy, pick up a map it's a real help finding your way. Walk up to see the Nyhavn canal it's pretty neat, stop and get a drink and soak the area up. We had a reservation for Ida Davidsen Restaurant to try smorrebrods (you know the Danish sandwiches), not hard to find the place because we had the map. Great lunch, make a reservation on line it is worth it. In Copenhagen we walked according to my ap 9.7 miles. Not bad for two old codgers and I'm a couch potato and I smoke. So yes you can do it. Have a great time on your cruise, this is one you will really enjoy. Linda E

Hi everyone ~ looks like the OP started two threads asking the same question. I have merged them into one thread here and removed duplicate posts. The duplicate threads and posts were causing some confusion. There were no posts previously deleted from either thread.

Helsinki has some great boat trips around the islands; the boats generally leave from very near the market.

If you want to avoid the crowds in Helsinki and enjoy walking through beautiful landscapes then a ferry to the world heritage center / fortress island of Suomenlinna is well worth considering; a return ticket is 5 euros if you take the passenger/car ferry. In the summertime the ferrries run ever 20 minutes.

http://www.suomenlinna.fi/en/

VP

If you want to avoid the crowds in Helsinki and enjoy walking through beautiful landscapes then a ferry to the world heritage center / fortress island of Suomenlinna is well worth considering; a return ticket is 5 euros if you take the passenger/car ferry. In the summertime the ferrries run ever 20 minutes.

http://www.suomenlinna.fi/en/ VP

This is indeed a wonderful, peaceful way to spend much of a port day in Helsinki. We enjoyed not being among the crowds. When we returned to Helsinki we had ample time to eat and wander around the city center and enjoy the street performers. We ate at Zetor, which we highly recommend.

If you go be sure to know where your return ferry can be met. We learned (the hard way) that there is more than one ferry company. They do not honor each other's tickets. After walking the island we boarded the ferry at that end of the island. Found out it was not operated by the same company that brought us over.

Edited by spirit rev