Carnival vs Celebrity: A comparison

Velvetwater

Oh wow, thats interesting as I knew they had a whole separate brand over there.

A few of our older family members cruise with them and are happy but we feel we have been americanised now. :)

I wonder why they have a bad rep?

No-one knows about Thomson except Brits and I haven't met anyone that likes them. The term 'overpriced rustbuckets' comes up as its often about £790 (AUS$1500) for a week on a tiny ship built in the 70s.

RCL is exceptionally popular over here...and Princess does very well.

Yes, Princess does very well here too

This is one of the reasons P&O gets a bad rap down under..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Dianne_Brimble

I love all the detail in this thread. But I have trouble putting Carnival and Celebrity in the same sentence. Even my 30 something son doesn't like Carnival. There's fun and there's fun.

It's an interesting thread. It asks more questions than it answers. It's not at all objective I'll use the quote "The stateroom television was even more interactive but had very weird channels" to highlight that , but I'd like to see more of these threads as I find them interesting.

Sadly there is very little information on the cabins, but I suspect the OP stayed in in OV cabin as there is reference to that.

So the first question is, can you enjoy a true 'Celebrity experience' in an OV due to this particular lines class structure? The OP acknowledges that some people perceive X as a foodies line, but without experiencing the additional restaurants such as Blu and Luminae, is the review limited? Obviously you'll miss out on the better rooms, service and other amenities.

I think they'll be some objection as the review seems to compare line against line which isn't possible if you've done just one cruise in an OV on one line.

I think the reference to cheerleaders in just the second sentence doesn't help either as cynical types may think it was written to provoke. :D

The second question is, did the OP pick the correct cruise? Celebrity isn't known for its entertainment. Yet the review suggests it was booked as the price was less than expected for the line. Should more investigation be done by cruisers to see if a particular line needs more investigation before booking on price? That's a general question by the way aimed at all, not the OP....

It's an interesting thread. It asks more questions than it answers. It's not at all objective I'll use the quote "The stateroom television was even more interactive but had very weird channels" to highlight that , but I'd like to see more of these threads as I find them interesting.

Sadly there is very little information on the cabins, but I suspect the OP stayed in in OV cabin as there is reference to that.

So the first question is, can you enjoy a true 'Celebrity experience' in an OV due to this particular lines class structure? The OP acknowledges that some people perceive X as a foodies line, but without experiencing the additional restaurants such as Blu and Luminae, is the review limited? Obviously you'll miss out on the better rooms, service and other amenities.

I think they'll be some objection as the review seems to compare line against line which isn't possible if you've done just one cruise in an OV on one line.

I think the reference to cheerleaders in just the second sentence doesn't help either as cynical types may think it was written to provoke. :D

On the cabin thing...

I did stay in an ocean view (forgot to put Celebrity when describing...theres a whole section on cabins). I would also argue that if you have to stay in a certain cabin to get a certain cruise line experience then for me thats another mark against a line I am afraid especially when thinking of the modern luxury and 'everyone is treated like a Celebrity' . I have no idea why the TV quote was mentioned I just know people like certain channels for those that are in their room a lot such as kids/people that fall ill and whatnot...I like to watch something while getting ready for dinner and I appreciated there was a whole Top chef season to watch on demand.

I have yet to read a nonobjective post on a forum. :)

Really shocking P&O story Pushka...that poor lady.

Hey Velvetwater, guess you've found out that the Celebrity loyalists don't like folks picking other cruiselines over Celebrity (shocking!).

I found your comparison to be objective and as you stated, was YOUR point of view. No point in trying to convince some folks on this board of that, it's like trying to talk to people about why you like a certain hockey (or in your case football) team over another.

Sounds like you enjoyed the cruise though. Still waiting for the rest of your review.

First, I'll admit to being a Celebrity loyalist. Having said that, we have been on 2 Carnival cruises and enjoyed them both - nothing at all to do with Carnival but the fact that we were with kids and grandkids. We can be on about any cruise line and have fun when we are with our family.

We have been on several Celebrity, getting ready to go on our 2d RCCL, just went on a Princess for a little variety and have been on one NCL many years ago.

Yes our preference is Celebrity. One reason that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread and maybe it is not that important but to me it is. On Celebrity you get one announcement a day. Either at noon or as you are leaving port after a day of touring. One! That's it! On Carnival it was every few minutes. One sequence I remember in particular - Bingo will be in 15 minutes and a few other inane comments by the CD. Five minutes later - Bingo will be in 10 minutes - make your way to the theater. Five minutes later - Bingo will begin in 5 minutes - you have to get your cards now to be ready. 4 1/2 minutes later - Bingo is about to start - you still have time to get your cards.

And it was on and on and on. It seemed like there were 25 or 30 announcements a day.

For what it's worth, the food was good on Carnival. The entertainment was good. But it was crowded!

Lots of reasons we like Celebrity, but just wanted to chime in as to the killer for us with Carnival.

Both lines have their own issues. I'll be honest: I like both lines but with Carnival, some folks are less than sophisticated but with Celebrity, some folks have too high of an opinion of themselves. We've met and became friends with great people on both lines, and I think that it's not the line that determines the passengers but the length and the destination. The Holy Land cruise will have older, wealthier passengers. A 5 day cruise out of Miami will be completely different than a 21 day cruise on either line. We won't hesitate to book any line if the price and itinerary is right...because when it comes down to it: I'm not at work! ;)

We have enjoyed the Carnival Breeze one of the newest ships. It has been a pleasant experience for us. We stay in the Spa cabins up on Deck 11 and it by

far one of the best spas around. Spa cabins are equal Aqua cabins to some extent on Celebrity (just no special dining place).

Staying up on that end of the ship we have a special elevator to the spa, then on up for the serenity area and bar. It make for a peaceful relaxing cruise for us. When we wanted more excitement we sought it on down other levels. Only gone when school is in session for obvious reasons.

The colors of that ship are totally different than other Carnival ships. Calming and quite attractive.

Other than the spa we enjoyed the eating options on that ship. Guy Fieri's burgers, Blue Iguana (Chipotle) type burritos/ taco's, Jimmy's Sea Side BBQ,

Mongolian Grill for free beside main dining room and buffet. For a fee: sushi at Bonsai, and pub grub and local brew beer in Red frog Pub , as well as Cucina Del Capitano $15 for a 3 course Italian dinner. Steakhouse for $35.00 pp as well.

All that being said we went on a Celebrity cruise in Feb this year and we got hooked. Sailing in Aqua class and having Blu, the entertainment, and the fellow passengers more like ourselves was awesome. Our kids early 30's who

went with us did not care for Celebrity, so we have a Carnival Breeze cruise

with them in Jan and a Celebrity cruise for just us this Oct. :D

This whole thread just goes to show that, like everything else, cruise lines are a personal preference.

If you really think the comparison is laughable, you'll also find folks who prefer Wal-Mart over Nordstrom, Folgers Instant over Starbucks, the Cleveland Browns over the New England Patriots.

Just take review like this for what it is....someone likes cruising Carnival over Celebrity.

All I have to say is....OP, enjoy your cruise!

On the cabin thing...

. I have no idea why the TV quote was mentioned I just know people like certain channels for those that are in their room a lot such as kids/people that fall ill and whatnot...I like to watch something while getting ready for dinner and I appreciated there was a whole Top chef season to watch on demand.

Carnival carries all of the major U.S. networks on their TV's.

I saw an episode of a sitcom once on Celebrity, I was amazed that it was one I had seen before, since I isn't a show I watch at home. Then I remembered that I had seen it six months earlier on the same cruise. The Celebrity CBS Eye channel was advertising the CBS Evening News with Katie Couric years after Katie had moved on.

I don't cruise to watch TV either, but it is nice if you turn it on to have some reasonable choices -- very nice in Football season. Advantage Carnival

We are Elite Plus and Platinum (=Elite) on Carnival. Each has strong points and are good products. In 8 weeks we'll be doing a 15 day Hawaii cruise on Spirit Class Carnival ship. We prefer Celebrity, but they don't have a presence on the west coast, other than the occasional canal or repo cruise.

Velvetwater, I enjoyed reading your comments and comparisons between the two lines. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

When I read another persons comments comparing cruise lines, I always keep in mind that they're stating their opinions and strictly that. We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't understand why others feel it's necessary to comment somewhat negatively or dissect the posters comments.

I have had the privilege to cruise on 6 (over many years) different cruise lines. I do feel privileged as I know the majority of people out there have not cruised. I wish I could take a little from each cruise line and make the perfect one. Although it would be perfect for me and not for others. I guess that's why there are so many choices out there.

I'm still laughing about the "Fellow cruisers" section and its conclusion "Winner: Carnival."

Since you seem to have not been on a Carnival ship there are those laughing at you as well. :D

On both our Carnival cruises we met a diverse group of people and some with quite a lot of them with much of heart/intelligence/culture/wealth/ and overall cruise experience (if thats what counts for some) including a business owner who had just shaved off her hair for charity.

Rick is right...I did indeed enjoy my Celebrity cruise (they still got a lot of points) but I am very ready for my Carnival one next year. I will get the review finished as soon as photos appear I promise. :)

Hi Velvetwater,

thank you for your review/comments ...... I found them interesting.

Like any other review or comments written by any of us, Cruise Critic members - it is only an opinion coming from the person who experienced the particular cruises or events and wrote about them on that particular day.

Being retired and probably with too much 'free time' on my hands I read a lot of posts / comments/ reviews that are posted on this board ...... and if I do not like something - I quit reading ...... and do not respond.

All of us in my opinion may / can write what they experienced, and what they liked or did not like. Even people who cruised on the same ship might have completely opposite views ..... maybe based on what they experienced, or on their expectations, or what they are used to do and see, or whatever.

Thank you for posting and wishing you many future cruises filled with fun and happiness on whatever cruise line and ship of your choosing.

I/ we have been cruising for close to 30 years ( not as many times as we would like) and never had a bad cruise ...... and quit comparing what we liked on a previous ship/cruise ...... and just enjoy what we have on 'this one'.

Edited by wieslaw

"We cruise in AQ class with BLU, avoid the buffet for the most part, use the Solarium pool ( to avoid noisy music and games) would not buy many drinks if we did not have the package, enjoy many events and on board activities and cruiseline excursions, enjoy the nice lounges, appreciate the restrictive smoking policy & limited PA announcements."

Really you avoid noisy music and games on X, I wish there was some of this on our last Silhouette cruise in July I could have used some amusement and fun.:D

Me too. our Equinox cruise was dead bored . In pool they had SPA music in morning :eek: and almost no activities . Most boring shows and entertainment in our cruise history .Even HAL had more fun .

Thanks for the balanced review. We have been on a number of lines, including most of your "target" lines such as RCCL and NCL, but found they were not for us, and likely Carnival wouldn't be, either. To each their own! One thing I have noticed, though, and this alludes to your comment about the Carnival ships you have been on, is that different ships in the same line can cause my opinion to differ wildly. I find the S- and M-Class ships on Celebrity to be more similar than different, but found a large difference between experiences on different sizes of Princess ships. Also, the same ship on different itineraries can be a completely different experience. We have been on the Summit for 7 day Caribbean cruises that felt nothing like our 14 day Hawaii cruise on the same ship. Also, DH and I had our only bad cruising experience to date on an NCL ship, but my best friend and her family were die hard NCL fans as they always sailed in Haven Class. That changed for them recently when they want on an NCL Alaska cruise that didn't offer the Haven. They got back and cancelled their next cruise due to that experience being so poor. So, bottom line is that no two experiences will be the same. We love cruising and will continue to explore various options, lines and itineraries, and I'm glad others will, too. Cheers!

On the cabin thing...

I did stay in an ocean view (forgot to put Celebrity when describing...theres a whole section on cabins). I would also argue that if you have to stay in a certain cabin to get a certain cruise line experience then for me thats another mark against a line I am afraid especially when thinking of the modern luxury and 'everyone is treated like a Celebrity' . I have no idea why the TV quote was mentioned I just know people like certain channels for those that are in their room a lot such as kids/people that fall ill and whatnot...I like to watch something while getting ready for dinner and I appreciated there was a whole Top chef season to watch on demand.

Playing devils advocate now...

Imagine I'm looking for a cruise and am considering Carnival and Celebrity having never cruised either line. The section of cabins tells me very little. It gives the impression that Carnival rooms are more spacious. However if the review had included the square footage of both rooms and pictures I'd have a much better idea.

The phrase 'weird channels' will make sense to you, but is wide open to interpretation to me, I'm sat here wondering what you mean... Hopefully that will make sense.

Celebrity has a class system where as some other lines do not and this will make comparison more difficult to judge objectively. Something I alluded to earlier in the thread, but you ducked my question. :D

A passenger travelling in Aqua Class will experience a fantastic shower, upgraded toiletries, free access to the spa and a better restaurant and so will be left with a better impression of the cruise line.

The same could also apply on Carnival, assuming they offer suites etc. The experience will differ as above. Your review seems to be an attempt to compare one line against another. The point I'm making is that I don't believe that after one cruise in an OV cabin you can have a thorough 'Celebrity Experience'. The same applies to every other line that offers different classes of travel though.

Velvetwater - thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences. I am looking forward to the photo review!

Personally, I would have thought (for sure!) that Celebrity would beat out Carnival in every category :), but hey, I also understand that everyone has different likes, tastes, interests, etc. and can appreciate a difference in opinion.

I recall back when I first started cruising in my early 20's (I still act like I am in my early 20's sometimes just with more sense and money now!), after 3 cruises on Carnival, we sailed Royal Caribbean (older ship, short trip) and at the end of that cruise, I thought Carnival was WAY better than Royal. I later sailed a brand new RCI ship, on a longer itinerary and in a suite - so of course, my opinion of RCI changed dramatically and we became quite "loyal to royal" for a while. Then... flash forward... my tastes have evolved, my interests have changed somewhat and therefore, RCI is no longer a "fit" for me and Celebrity has now taken the lead as my cruise line of choice. A more subdued, modern, refined cruise vs. a "kids packed-hokey-pokey-hairy-chest-flowrider-ish" type of cruise.

As a Celebrity "cheerleader" (sort of, kind of in my own quiet way) - we should rejoice in the differences of opinions and preferences of cruise lines. If EVERYONE wanted to cruise X, can you imagine how much HIGHER the prices would go? We need to keep the supply and demand as low as possible ;).

Playing devils advocate now...

Imagine I'm looking for a cruise and am considering Carnival and Celebrity having never cruised either line. The section of cabins tells me very little. It gives the impression that Carnival rooms are more spacious. However if the review had included the square footage of both rooms and pictures I'd have a much better idea.

The phrase 'weird channels' will make sense to you, but is wide open to interpretation to me, I'm sat here wondering what you mean... Hopefully that will make sense.

Celebrity has a class system where as some other lines do not and this will make comparison more difficult to judge objectively. Something I alluded to earlier in the thread, but you ducked my question. :D

A passenger travelling in Aqua Class will experience a fantastic shower, upgraded toiletries, free access to the spa and a better restaurant and so will be left with a better impression of the cruise line.

The same could also apply on Carnival, assuming they offer suites etc. The experience will differ as above. Your review seems to be an attempt to compare one line against another. The point I'm making is that I don't believe that after one cruise in an OV cabin you can have a thorough 'Celebrity Experience'. The same applies to every other line that offers different classes of travel though.

I completely understood your point of view but I think because a high category of cabin makes up a smallish part of the passenger base of a lot of lines (although I understand on Celebrity it is slightly higher). It means per sailing the majority of guests will have my view if that makes sense?

Carnival are actually introducing an exclusive grade of cabin on the Vista called Havana suites. Guests who book a Havana room get their own area and pool (at least til 5pm) and other bits and bobs. The rendering of the designed rooms is actually quite stunning and the Cabanas are a Puesdo balcony style I have not seen yet on any ship. As it stands now I know Carnival suites are really not all that fellow cruisers tell me apart from the owner's suite which is worth a google.

I am booked in a 'secret' inside thats got a massive window cabin...as per usual.I adore finding secret bargain cabins. As long as I see the sea I am fine in my cabin as thats what I am there for...and the ports of course.

There were about 20 channels I think. There was a random channel called PrimeTV and 2 ESPNs , large range of News channels and I forget what else. When our TV was on it was either playing music or watching Top Chef most of the time. :)

That reminds me though...I really liked the national newspapers put out each morning.

Edited by Velvetwater

Thanks for taking the time to put this together Velvet.

I have to give a big mention here to Asst CD Calvin on Carnival who was fantastically camp and gives the edge to Carnival for its host staff

Calvin is the true gem of the Carnival CD staff, clone him and the world will be happy.

Just be glad you haven't come across Jenn yet.

Thank you for sharing your review. Please be prepared for the Celebrity cheer-leaders to rip you - they simply cannot fathom that Carnival is not the junky line that they like to think it is. Most here who refer to Carnival as the "Walmart" of lines - have NEVER been on a Carnival cruise.

And that's the funny thing, if you go on one of the Fantasy class then yes, I can see it, but the rest, not so much, we actually booked with X this time because a 15 day trans Atlantic in a suite was less than a 12 day in a balcony cabin on Carnival, so the Walmart thing goes out the window there, when it comes down to it, with the exception of a Seadream cruise, the best service we have received on board a ship was on Carnival, there are so many variables that really, you can end up on a great line and have a crappy cruise, they happen, on every line.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together Velvet.

And that's the funny thing, if you go on one of the Fantasy class then yes, I can see it, the best service we have received on board a ship was on Carnival, there are so many variables that really, you can end up on a great line and have a crappy cruise, they happen, on every line.

Funny you should mention Fantasy class . Going back to my CC reviews , Carnival's Fascination is the only one that I gave a 5*'s to . Objectively , it was smaller , older and had less features then other ships . Because of this my expectations were low . All my expectations were exceeded . Food , entertainment and service were all great plus it was an incredible value ! Perhaps I was too generous and maybe it was because we took our kids on their only cruise (which they loooved). For whatever reason , we had a great Fantasy class experience .

Here's a "service" story about Carnival. Don't recall what ship it was but DH asked for another serving of the entree.

The waiter RAN to get it for him. Not walked quickly, not trotted but a full out run to the kitchen (galley).:eek::D

Jane...

I HAVE been on a Carnival cruise...I have been on several of them...

I am arguing here with someone who claims to have been on ONE Celebrity cruise...

I have tried to couch my arguments in terms of quantifiable data.

As far as not being able to "fathom that Carnival is not the junky line I like to think it is", on the contrary...IT IS...It is EXACTLY what I think it is...and I've been on it enough...and on several other lines enough...to know exactly what IT is and what others are.

Carnival is the Carnival Corp's "entry level" line. They market to people looking for "low prices" and "Fun". They market to those poor folks who just want to get on a ship, go places, get entertained and eat and drink...and don't pay much attention to much past that.

Is it the "Walmart of Cruise Lines"? It certainly is...

Both Carnival and Walmart are designed to appeal to the masses...and both are very good at and very successful at doing that. They sell a lot of cruises to a lot of people...And Walmart sells a lot of merchandise...and McDonalds sells a lot of meals...It's not bad business...But it is also not necessarily high quality. Most people make trade-offs. Money means something...and they are willing to settle for a lot of things...And wise retailers know that you can make a lot more money selling to the 99% for low prices than to the 1% for high prices--Your target audience is bigger...

So, really, I DO get it...

But I think a comparison should be a fair comparison...

And, having ACTUALLY CRUISED on Carnival several times, I think I am, unlike what you put forth in your post, highly qualified to challenge the OP here on this one.

I can make a fair comparison too, and not a "Celebrity only" cheerleader. For DH and I, there is no comparison between the two lines. We are not retired, so we look for refinement, relaxation, and not necessarily need to be entertained and stimulated 24 hours a day. We need to "get away from it all". In fact, DH told me "never again" for Carnival, even if they are giving it away. Our vacation leave is limited, so we want the optimal quality when we take a vacation. Even if it's a few hundred dollars more. And yes, a few hundred dollars can make or break the decision for many passengers, but we feel the extra is well worth it.

We also feel that the crowd is quieter on Celebrity, but certainly not boring, and have met lots of fun people. Service, ambiance, meals.....all beat out the cut-rate brand. Sorry, but even if I were to take all my grandbabies, I would opt for Norwegian or RCI.

Carnival vs. Celebrity = apples and oranges. Both taste good, but according to YOUR taste buds.

But I think a comparison should be a fair comparison...

And, having ACTUALLY CRUISED on Carnival several times, I think I am, unlike what you put forth in your post, highly qualified to challenge the OP here on this one.

I'm sorry, I didn't know this forum was setup so that people could Challenge the opinion of other cruisers.....

The OP stated it was HER opinion, last time I checked she is allowed to have an opinion even if you don't agree with it.

Edited by RickT

I'm sorry, I didn't know this forum was setup so that people could Challenge the opinion of other cruisers.....

The OP stated it was HER opinion, last time I checked she is allowed to have an opinion even if you don't agree with it.

Gee....Thanks for taking that comment completely out of context.

IF you actually go back to read this thread, you might note that this comment was DIRECTLY in response to a comment by Jane 2357 (see below) demeaning the credentials of those that would Challenge the opinion of the OP...

I, in fact, did NOT say anyone else had no right to a different opinion. All I said was that I had qualifications to challenge--when it appeared it was Jane who would disallow ME that right.

YOU really twisted that by removing the context...

Please be prepared for the Celebrity cheer-leaders to rip you - they simply cannot fathom that Carnival is not the junky line that they like to think it is. Most here who refer to Carnival as the "Walmart" of lines - have NEVER been on a Carnival cruise.