Best sunscreen for fair skinned toddler in carribean sun?

jlc22043

So when my older kids were young I loved the bullfrog surfer formula which they no longer make (although very greasy and hard to wash off). My toddler is pretty fair and would love to hear recommendations for the strong carribean sun. I prefer sunscreen that isn't overly greasy....but will use that if it ensures no sunburn. I will also not be using aerosol sprays. Suggestions?

We use Coppertone Water Babies Pure & Simple, and also use one of the stick sunscreens for cheeks/ears/etc. But I agree with the suggestion to use good sunscreen but focus on clothing. Have the toddler (and anyone else you can get to do it) wear a rash guard top, hat, and sunglasses.

Brand isn't as important as proper application. Whether it says "waterproof" or not, no sunscreen is towel proof....so be sure to apply often! Get at least 45 SPF and keep her covered! Reflective light can burn a baby, too! So, just being in the shade isn't always enough!

Brand isn't as important as proper application. Whether it says "waterproof" or not, no sunscreen is towel proof....so be sure to apply often! Get at least 45 SPF and keep her covered! Reflective light can burn a baby, too! So, just being in the shade isn't always enough!

Brand can make a big difference because the cheaper products, like No Ad, use different ingredients than other sunscreens.

To the OP, we stick with Coopertone Water babies and their other Sport varieties. Neutragena also has a great product that I use on myself. I would stay away from No Ad, I am highly allergic to that as is my son and my sister's kids.

Thanks for the advice. I do use an spf rash guard and hats as well. I typically don't have issues while at the pool...but the tropical sun is so different from where we live. I will be trying the water babies from your suggestions (and try wrestling him down as much as possible to reapply).

I'm super fair and had melanoma recently so I have to be very very cautious. I definitely recommend the UPF clothing, hats, etc. Also Blue Lizard sunscreen is also good. I like to use the sunblocks with titanium and zinc personally, but be sure to re-apply every 2 hours at a minimum.

Babyganics is really great. You can get it at target and you can sometimes find it on amazon. It is with the baby stuff, not with the sunscreen. We live in Florida and need good sunscreen for my fair haired children. We buy the pump spray from babyganics and it has been awesome for us. That's all we use now. Plus not harmful ingredient

I have a red head, very fair skin son and know your concern all too well. when he was little I used the water babies sunblock 50 and re applied every hour. I know it sounds alittle extreme, but I figured if it was better then a sunburn! I also made him wear a shirt and bought the longest swim trunks I could find. Remember to pull the clothing down alittle ( or up, which ever the case may be) and apply sunblock to the a little bit of the skin that isn't exposed in case it rides up or droops alittle when wet or during activity.

I highly recommend very covering swim wear. Nothing works better than that. I'm crazy with the sunscreen, but my kids still get color on their for arms and calves where the swim suits don't cover. Anyway I use the Alba mineral stuff. It's mostly zinc and TiO2. It's great UVA and UVB protection and is a real sun BLOCK. A lot of sunSCREENs have things like oxybenzone and octocrylene etc... in them. In the sunblock, the zinc and TiO2 sit on TOP of the skin and reflect the sun to prevent damage- this is the best. With a sunscreen your skin absorbs those chemicals, which are themselves carcinogens by the way, and since it's absorbed rather than sitting on top it prevents visible burns, but does not prevent all DNA damage.

Anyway, probably more info than you wanted, but I"m nuts about sun protection. Have seen way too much skin cancer in my family to take it easy on this front!

• 1 month later...

My little was born with a nevus, that has a high risk of melanoma, so we are extra cautious about sun exposure...she doesn't go out without a hat, ever...but for this trip I purchased good rash gards with long sleeves...and my usual sunscreen....we just reapply it all the time! :) Our snow white must stay fair!