what's the best way to pack water and soda

Irishgrl73

We have not bothered at all where porters accept them (in Tampa we had to haul them ourselves even with a duffel bag).

For example in Miami just plain 12-packs of soda and shrink wrapped cases of water as-is. Porters have helped with tags on them and always have received them to the cabin.

I have brought water and soda onboard twice and in both cases, I left more than half of what I brought onboard at the end of the cruises. For water, just bring a personal water bottle and refill as needed. For soda, if you drink something not carried onboard, bring a minimal amount as you may not drink as much as you normally do. That's been my experience.

Leaving out of NY we have done both. When we have put luggage tag on soda once one can was taken out, and once they came very banged up, and one was close to popping. Once we put them Into a duffle bag, and the same thing:they were banged up. So, we suggest putting them into large garbage bag inside the duffle bag- just in case. Ship water fine to drink.

Safe sailing

There are some ports that will not allow you to check soda/water. I think the OP is sailing out of Boston and I believe they will allow you to check it.

For the OP, if you carry it aboard, like any carry on, you will have to deal with it, rooms are not usually ready when you board.

We usually bring 2 12 packs of soda. I put them in a wheeled carry on along with toiletries. I checked it once and several cans were damaged and one exploded, never will check it now. At the end of the cruise the space in the bag is perfect for 2 bottles of liquor.

Is it totally stupid to ask WHY go to the trouble of doing this when these things can easily be bought on the ship?

Wonder how much people actually save and if it's worth the effort? :confused:

LuLu

12 bottles water on ship is 40.00 I paid 3.50.

My wife goes through Diet Pepsi like I do coffee (or beer). She wants two 12 packs of Pepsi available in the cabin for a 7 day cruise, which we do bring on board. It's convenience ...and of course I 'm not complaining about the dollars saved.

I was wondering what is the best way to pack water and soda? Any one have any tips or just put it in carry on?

In Seattle, I put a 12pk of diet soda and 6pk of water in a duffel bag with luggage tag, and it made it safely to my room. I bought additional 12pks in several ports in Alaska and simply carried them on. Even with the UBP, I still enjoy having my choice of diet soda readily available.

Is it totally stupid to ask WHY go to the trouble of doing this when these things can easily be bought on the ship?

LuLu

Part of it is folks buying the BS that ship water is less than potable. The irony is that the ship water is more pure than most municipal water sources as well as more pure than what they're carting around with them.

Part of it is folks buying the BS that ship water is less than potable. The irony is that the ship water is more pure than most municipal water sources as well as more pure than what they're carting around with them.

Well, the ship water is certainly better than that refinery water you live next door to!

Howdy, neighbor! :)

LuLu

It is really not a question of saving money but a personal preference to have a certain type of soda in my cabin refrigerator.

For me it is worth the trouble--Oh and I take my own pillow too!!

For me it's definitely a cost factor -- as Irishgrl73 pointed out, I can buy a case (qty 24) of water, in my preferred brand, for less than $5, whereas it's $49 something for 18 bottles on the ship. Didn't look to see if there is a size difference between the bottles, because I'm not interested in spending $49 on water for the week, when I can spend $5

It's not a huge hassle to do either -- pick up the case at Costco, slap the tag on and put it on the curb at embarkation. I don't even need to bring it in the house. Very easy.

Even when the water onboard (referring to non-carbon-filtered water from cabin tap) is potable, on most cases it is still far from really good, tasteless drinking water. Also while the ship's water is microbiologically cleaner that bottled water, the difference in everyday use is theoretical at best.

Personally for me the chlorine added to ship's water makes bottled water well worth the effort - to me water from the tap tastes like I was drinking out of a pool.

At sea - water water everywhere and not a drop to drink !

Everyone has their own preferences both in taste; quality; quantity as well as economics.

A toast:

"TO EACH HIS OWN AND DEVIL FOR US ALL" !

And another:

"MAY YOU BE IN HEAVEN A HALF HOUR BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU ARE DEAD" !

You no like:

Go drink some sea swill it will fix what is wrong with you !

we too just did the same, EXCEPT we took our wheeled carry on as a " carry-on" with the sealed water cases , my feeling is this, If we want to take water bottles ashore for a " beach day" we have them, rather than pay the price of them to buy on board. Even at the beach, they charge $3.00 for a bottle of water. We drank ALL of our bottles of water, did not have any to bring home or leave there.

• 2 months later...

I've always carried my sodas on myself, but would very much like to have them delivered to my stateroom. For those of you who do this, does the soda arrive in good shape? I have visions of bags being tossed around and dented (or crushed) cans. Would it be better to leave the cans in the original packaging, or put them in a soft-sided cooler?

I've always carried my sodas on myself, but would very much like to have them delivered to my stateroom. For those of you who do this, does the soda arrive in good shape? I have visions of bags being tossed around and dented (or crushed) cans. Would it be better to leave the cans in the original packaging, or put them in a soft-sided cooler?

We just put cabin luggage tags on the case of water and Diet Coke and they arrived unscathed with our luggage. We will be doing the same thing in two weeks for the Escape.

We have done it two ways.

We have just put luggage tag on case of soda-- was delivered with some missing.

We have put into duffle bag ( lined with plastic bags ) with luggage tag, and once one can was extremely dented, and on the point of exploding.

We have also have them delivered without an issue both ways. DH prefers taping case and putting luggage tag on it

Safe sailing

We have always packed 12pks (1 each) in the middle of our checked bags. They are well padded as everything is packed around them. Some may consider that reckless. :) :eek:

Never once have they been dented, popped, or damaged. We have never once been sent to the "naughty room" to retrieve the bag, except the one time we had also packed a few loose 24 oz bottles. We had to opened the bag and show the bottles were not opened.

I do understand that some ports may not allow checking them, but so far we have been fortunate.

We bring them for the cost savings but also because it's just simpler and convenient to have a few cans of our favorite in our refrigerator to enjoy in our cabin. The cost savings, as others have said, are significant.

I might also add that we like the ship water just fine. And we tend to drink it often; both straight and to water down the really strong iced tea they serve. Bring a refillable water bottle and save some plastic from the ocean.

Edited by drvalo