Anyone use Verizon while on Cruise ship?

Level six

We are taking a transpacific cruise in Sept. Verizon says it has a plan that can be used on cruise ships. Has anyone used it? And if so, how was the service? Did it really only cost $1.79 per minute? Do you also have to pay an additional cruise ship fee? Thanks

Edited by Level six

We are taking a transpacific cruise in Sept. Verizon says it has a plan that can be used on cruise ships. Has anyone used it? And if so, how was the service? Did it really only cost $1.79 per minute? Do you also have to pay an additional cruise ship fee? Thanks

I have a very hard time connecting the word "only" with $1.79 per minute. That's $107.40 per hour.

Until Princess instituted the new system where I can check my folio and the Patter on my phone via their intranet I always just locked my phone in the safe.

Someone else will give you the proper information but I "think" you also have to pay the ship.

I have a very hard time connecting the word "only" with $1.79 per minute. That's $107.40 per hour.

Until Princess instituted the new system where I can check my folio and the Patter on my phone via their intranet I always just locked my phone in the safe.

Someone else will give you the proper information but I "think" you also have to pay the ship.

Well, I know I wouldn't talk for 1 hour! :eek: But it is better than the $7.50 per minute that the cruise line charges.

On our 28 day cruise, we will be "out of contact" for over 15 days at one point and I wanted it as an option in case there was a need to use it. There have been several other posts about how slow the internet is in Tahiti and that it is not worth even buying it.

I usually do the same and lock my phone in the safe, turned off. But, at ports if I am unable to find internet, it might be worth it to make a quick call to check on my family. :)

No fees will ever appear on your stateroom charge for using your personal cell phone onboard. Once the ship has turned on its own cell towers (supposed to be at 12 miles away from port, but often sooner) you will receive a text from Verizon notifying you that you are on the cellular at sea plan. You will be able to send and receive texts and receive incoming calls automatically; to be able to make outgoing calls from the ship, or use any data services, or have any service while in port (other than possibly receiving texts) you must purchase an international roaming plan from Verizon before your last statement cut date before your cruise.

No fees will ever appear on your stateroom charge for using your personal cell phone onboard. Once the ship has turned on its own cell towers (supposed to be at 12 miles away from port, but often sooner) you will receive a text from Verizon notifying you that you are on the cellular at sea plan. You will be able to send and receive texts and receive incoming calls automatically; to be able to make outgoing calls from the ship, or use any data services, or have any service while in port (other than possibly receiving texts) you must purchase an international roaming plan from Verizon before your last statement cut date before your cruise.

Thanks Fishywood!! That is exactly was I was looking for!!:)

If I do get the international roaming plan and only want to use it for a few phone calls/texts, do you know what I do to prevent data service when I turn on my phone to use it?

Thank you again, I so appreciate your help!

Thanks Fishywood!! That is exactly was I was looking for!!:)

If I do get the international roaming plan and only want to use it for a few phone calls/texts, do you know what I do to prevent data service when I turn on my phone to use it?

Thank you again, I so appreciate your help!

Some will tell you to turn on airplane mode. That works but you'll not be able to receive text messages. The simple thing is to turn off Data Roaming. You'll still be able to make calls and receive/send texts.

A suggestion. Verizon, unlike ATT, does not charge you for calls you do not answer. Be selective about which calls you answer. Also, Verizon charges 50 cents for text messages you send and 5 cents for those you receive. Tell your friends to txt, not call you. If you get a phone call from a friend, text them back and ask what they want. Tell you friends that if they really truly emergency have to talk to you to send you a text and you'll call back.

BTW, Verizon is really good about helping you. I called them prior to my first cruise. They explained the cruise ship package but after a few questions suggested that I really didn't need it and that I rely upon text messages and to Turn Off Data. They even emailed me a PDF which explained how to do that. It varies by phone.

Edited by RocketMan275

Also, Verizon charges 50 cents for text messages you send and 5 cents for those you receive.

I've also used the $25 Verizon plan, which includes 100MB of data. It is not much, but it allows you to use Facebook Messenger, etc., instead of texting. Just tell everybody not to send pictures, and turn off cellular data access for all your apps that you do not want pulling down data on your 100MB allowance.

Verizon also now offers a $40 plan which includes in 100 minutes of free phone calls, free incoming texts and 100 free outgoing texts.

jdg

We have always purchased the free roaming package. It is $30 a month. We take it out a few days before we cruise and stop it when we return. We usually only pay about $17 and change including tax.

This allows us to us our phones anywhere we want when ever we want with no additional charges. Have done this on our last 5 cruises. Yes it is a Verizon plan.

We have always purchased the free roaming package. It is $30 a month. We take it out a few days before we cruise and stop it when we return. We usually only pay about $17 and change including tax.

This allows us to us our phones anywhere we want when ever we want with no additional charges. Have done this on our last 5 cruises. Yes it is a Verizon plan.

Thanks Deborahjo! I appreciate your input, especially since you have used it several times.:)

Just be careful when you turn it off after your cruise that the percentage of the data allowance used during a given month does not exceed the percentage of the time out of the billing month that the package was in force. This can easily happen if the cruise just barely overlaps the monthly cut-over date. In that case, the data overage will be charged at a much higher rate, $20 per Mb, I believe.

Do you have to do this for each phone or do you just add it to your plan and it works for both of your phones?

Just be careful when you turn it off after your cruise that the percentage of the data allowance used during a given month does not exceed the percentage of the time out of the billing month that the package was in force. This can easily happen if the cruise just barely overlaps the monthly cut-over date. In that case, the data overage will be charged at a much higher rate, $20 per Mb, I believe.

Thanks, good to know!!

When we did our 19 night cruise my hubby's work would only approve the vacation if he took a satellite phone with him.

Verizon has a rental program.

So..if you're strictly looking for voice access this may be an option to explore.

I am wondering if wifi calling, if supported by your phone and carrier, will work without an international plan?? Anyone know?? Supposedly Verizon is going to support this by the end of 2015 and interested for our cruise in 2016...

I am wondering if wifi calling, if supported by your phone and carrier, will work without an international plan?? Anyone know?? Supposedly Verizon is going to support this by the end of 2015 and interested for our cruise in 2016...

Don't know the answer, but it appears to me if it works, it would be good for calls you make, but not for calls you receive as you would need to be connected to the WIFI all of the time to receive the randomly timed incoming calls and at ship's Internet rates, that could become expensive.

I have heard enough about the fast (not) speed of the internet on board that I don't plan to use that at all - but thought perhaps a wifi spot in port might allow for a quick check in with family. Hmmm.... well - I'm waiting for the anticipated new iPhone announcement and plan to upgrade from my current one. IF Verizon follows thru I'll know if February when we do the Panama Canal!