Good pot-style container recs for creams?

JenMJM

I have been on Amazon and eBay, but I haven't yet found what I'm looking for. I'd like to take my coconut oil on our October trip to Europe to use as face and body lotion, so I'd like to put it in a container that can hold several ounces and seal well to prevent leakage. I've had plenty of luck finding small ones that could carry pills and small amounts of cream, but I'd ideally like to find a larger one that screws shut. I have a couple of these that I use for short trips and at home, but the seal isn't that great unless I put the cap over plastic wrap first: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/cream-container

I have also been wracking my brain on what I might already have at home and could repurpose.

Suggestions?

I've got a couple containers I use from Muji, not sure how well they'd work if the coconut oil heats up and liquefies (I use the containers for body butters which don't tend to melt so easily) Container store has some nalgene containers that look nice - 1oz & 2 oz. They also have a 3oz with a leak seal.

Many other options on the Container Store website. Can't vouch for the quality but I know they've been recommended here and on Flyertalk in the past.

I use old contact lens containers.

When I'm using a new lotion I'll do a test run at home first.

I've also gotten some larger pots a few years ago at the Walmart or Target travel section.

If the oil has liquified (Argan oil) I'll use old eye drop bottle.

I prefer several smaller containers to one larger container.

Look at a backpacking store for larger containers--REI, Sports Authority etc.

Edited by SadieN

Sorry - I've been assuming you want to decant into a small container that fits into your 3-1-1 bag - is that the case, or do you want a larger container for checked luggage?

(I also have containers from big box store HBA sections but again, not sure how well they'll do with something that could liquefy in warmer conditions. I live in the South and ever since a lip balm melted in my glovebox, I've been VERY paranoid about how & where I pack certain things if there's a chance at all the transit temps could get warm:o)

Also depends if you want to shop in person or online. I live in the boonies so I tend to shop online. Some days I default to Amazon and other times I look for more specialized options.

Stores like Ulta & Sephora also carry travel size containers you can decant into.

I want to decant into a container to be put in checked luggage. I will probably take one of the tiny containers I already have to keep in my carry-on and just lay plastic wrap under the lid so I have a tiny amount actually with me on the trip.

How about baby food jars? You could always put in plastic and wrap in clothes to prevent breakage, but they are a good size and seal tightly. Whether you choose to eat the baby food first is your choice. LOL

How about baby food jars? You could always put in plastic and wrap in clothes to prevent breakage, but they are a good size and seal tightly. Whether you choose to eat the baby food first is your choice. LOL

Wow, never thought of that! We don't have kids so that definitely was not even on my radar!

Guest maddycat
I've got a couple containers I use from Muji, not sure how well they'd work if the coconut oil heats up and liquefies (I use the containers for body butters which don't tend to melt so easily) Container store has some nalgene containers that look nice - 1oz & 2 oz. They also have a 3oz with a leak seal.

Many other options on the Container Store website. Can't vouch for the quality but I know they've been recommended here and on Flyertalk in the past.

I use leak proof bottles from the Container Store. They come in sizes up to 8 oz.. They also sell a variety of openings........narrow to wide. They have been leak proof for me. I've used them for body lotion, shampoo, conditioner, and perfume.

If you want to try something you might already have eg food container - a plastic mustard container might work nicely. You want something that was designed for a liquid or "loose" product. I wouldn't choose a glass baby food container or a rubbermaid container (those lids pop off - ask my lunch bag how I know:rolleyes:) But baby food jars are great for crafts! (and no, I don't have kids - but all through high school and college, I ate lots of baby food;))

This is the kind of mustard I buy (at Kroger) and at 9oz and a flat-ish bottle should pack nicely! http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-i-SGnSolero/U_sSh1zOFDI/AAAAAAAARnc/7VHz8Ca7dKE/s1600/Stone%2BGround%2BSweet%2BHot%2BMustard%2B001.JPG

Now I want to go look at the larger Container Store bottles - the store that would be "nearby" for me (but still 60 miles away) closed down, so it's all online shopping for me:p

Edited by Hoyaheel

Nothing wrong with doing the plastic wrap under the screw tops - I do that with all my little bottles that I take with me. I just pack another piece of plastic wrap in my bag and cut up what I need when I come home.

With oils, be careful what type of container you use. I don't know if coconut oil will do this, but: I put some of my MorroccanOil (argan oil) into a GoToob to take with me to Kenya back a few years ago. Imagine my surprise when I went to get some of it for my hair and it WAS GONE!!! It was all absorbed into the GoToob!!! Now, I have a glass sample bottle and I just decant more of the argan oil into it to take with me. And, I know know why all the MorroccanOil and Josie Maran products come in glass bottles...

With oils, be careful what type of container you use. I don't know if coconut oil will do this, but: I put some of my MorroccanOil (argan oil) into a GoToob to take with me to Kenya back a few years ago. Imagine my surprise when I went to get some of it for my hair and it WAS GONE!!! It was all absorbed into the GoToob!!!

I remember you posting about that and that's why I didn't recommend any silicone!! (GoToob and imposters are silicone containers)

I just bought a couple new bottles at the Muji store when we were in NYC last month and they specifically say not to use with any oils or alcohols (but I bought one to use for perfume anyway....) I'm guessing they've had complaints about similar issues!

I will let you know what I decide to use and how it went. My assumption is that the oil will be more solid most of the time, but if it would get warm enough to liquefy, I don't want any leakage:)

I will let you know what I decide to use and how it went. My assumption is that the oil will be more solid most of the time, but if it would get warm enough to liquefy, I don't want any leakage:)

It takes some real serious heat in my house for my coconut oil to liquefy. We had a few days in the PNW recently, where my inside house temp got to about 87, and that did the trick, but for the most part it stays pretty solid.

It takes some real serious heat in my house for my coconut oil to liquefy. We had a few days in the PNW recently, where my inside house temp got to about 87, and that did the trick, but for the most part it stays pretty solid.

I'm a Floridian, and we keep our house around 78/79 during the summer months. The oil I have sits in our pantry that is on a garage-side wall so it's also a couple degrees warmer. I've had it liquefy during travel, and that was on a cruise. I guess I'm just used to seeing it more liquid than solid where I live...

I can tell the seasons by the coconut oil in my house...both in Houston and Georgia...liquid coconut oil for about 1/2 the year...

I've read about some people that whip the coconut oil and there is something about that process that is supposed to help it stay in a more solid state...but I haven't taken the time to experiment with that yet. Have you heard of this?

Ask your pharmacists (preferably an independent not a chain store) for a 4, 6 or 8 oz ointment container. They will seal well and if you want better seal cover the top of jar with saran wrap before closing and then carry in a plastic ziplock esp. if you are packing it in checked bag with clothing. Little insurance never hurt.

If you like online, try drugstore.com or ulta.com

Both carry containers and travel sizes of products.

But I do like visiting Container Store…it's right next to Ulta :cool: :eek: