Staying docked in HKG & Singapore

majesty318

We are on the Millennium in November. Embarking the ship stays docked in Hong Kong Sunday till Monday evening, and at the end we stay docked Saturday to Sunday morning in Singapore.

We've never done a cruise like this where it stays docked. Does anyone know if the cruise line will run shuttles into the city? I read that the HKG Terminal (Kai Tak) is kind of out of the way and lacks public transit, so we're hoping the cruise will provide something. Too much to hope for?

In Singapore the MRT (subway) is within walking distance of the Marina Bay Cruise Terminal. and it will take you just about any place you want to go, cheap, clean and easy to use. You can also take the Hop On / Hop Off bus, not sure where it stops, but should not be that far. We used the HO / HO and saw most of the sites. We went to Raffles (Long Bar) and I ordered a Singapore Sling - a waste of money - US $30 for a small drink. If you want to the see bar, I would just order a beer or soft drink.

I don't think there is a shuttle in Hong Kong, but taxis are pretty cheap and the Hop On / Hop Off bus has a stop close by (al least that is what the map shows, we are going there in November).

Good Luck

Is the new HK terminal used for all ships. We were there a few years ago on a 25,000 ton ship and were docked for turn around right by the star ferry.

We return in February 2017 to embark a 16,000 ton ship and remain there for the following day. We are hoping we may be in the same location as it is a very small ship - can anyone enlighten me on that?

Is the new HK terminal used for all ships. We were there a few years ago on a 25,000 ton ship and were docked for turn around right by the star ferry.

We return in February 2017 to embark a 16,000 ton ship and remain there for the following day. We are hoping we may be in the same location as it is a very small ship - can anyone enlighten me on that?

See the Kai Tak Cruise Terminal website, it has a listing of the ships that will dock at the terminal. If your ship is not listed, then you are probably docking at Ocean Terminal next to the Star Ferry terminal.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?tab=wm#inbox

So is the info on CC with distances to hotels now dated?

Depends on where the ship docks. There are now two cruise terminals in HK. The old Ocean Terminal is right in the middle of things. The new Kai Tak is out there a bit. It used to be the airport, so things are a bit "industrial"

See the Kai Tak Cruise Terminal website, it has a listing of the ships that will dock at the terminal. If your ship is not listed, then you are probably docking at Ocean Terminal next to the Star Ferry terminal.

Thank you for that, I will save the link and check nearer the time.

OP, your ship will be docked at the new Kai Tak Cruise Terminal this November, according to the posted ship scheduled - http://www.kaitakcruiseterminal.com.hk/schedule/

After an evening/late night of exploring in town, your option for returning to the berth for your ship overnight would be an inexpensive taxi ride ... from popular tourist attractions, no more than $10 to $15 USD for the one-way fare, shared among 4 adult riders (of all ages) - locally currency only & most drivers do not accept/process credit card payment ... Weekend, bank branches are closed but there are hundreds of licensed currency exchange with posted rates. Or, use your USA-based ATM or Credit Card to withdraw local funds in HKD instead, with a minimally low processing/conversion fee.

Durng the day, the shuttles will take you to/from the nearest subway train station, Diamond Hill Station is the name, I believe - about 10 minutes away. From there, you can use a Octopus card, purchased at the vending kiosk, to get around (also good for buses & ferries, etc.)

When you are done shopping & sightseeing, it might be easier to hail a metered taxi and ride directly back to the KT pier, especially with 3 or 4 in the car. Tipping the drivers 10% of the fare is considered generous & more than enough. A # of nearby indoor air-conditioned shopping malls are offering free shuttles to the stores. When in doubt, ask first - English is widely spoken among sales & customer service personnel working in these tourist/visitor's hot locations.

As for shopping, there are not sales tax or VAT anyway in Hong Kong, beware of shops advertising themselves as Duty Free Shopping - as that's every one of the stores open for business.

Newly opened on top of the sparkling KTCT is an open-air rooftop park and at night, the terminal & those on board the ship have one of the best view of Kowloon & across the Victoria Harbour with the Victoria's Peak on top, weather permitting with little to no clouds obstructing the view.

OP, your ship will be docked at the new Kai Tak Cruise Terminal this November, according to the posted ship scheduled - http://www.kaitakcruiseterminal.com.hk/schedule/

After an evening/late night of exploring in town, your option for returning to the berth for your ship overnight would be an inexpensive taxi ride ... from popular tourist attractions, no more than $10 to $15 USD for the one-way fare, shared among 4 adult riders (of all ages) - locally currency only & most drivers do not accept/process credit card payment ... Weekend, bank branches are closed but there are hundreds of licensed currency exchange with posted rates. Or, use your USA-based ATM or Credit Card to withdraw local funds in HKD instead, with a minimally low processing/conversion fee.

Durng the day, the shuttles will take you to/from the nearest subway train station, Diamond Hill Station is the name, I believe - about 10 minutes away. From there, you can use a Octopus card, purchased at the vending kiosk, to get around (also good for buses & ferries, etc.)

When you are done shopping & sightseeing, it might be easier to hail a metered taxi and ride directly back to the KT pier, especially with 3 or 4 in the car. Tipping the drivers 10% of the fare is considered generous & more than enough. A # of nearby indoor air-conditioned shopping malls are offering free shuttles to the stores. When in doubt, ask first - English is widely spoken among sales & customer service personnel working in these tourist/visitor's hot locations.

As for shopping, there are not sales tax or VAT anyway in Hong Kong, beware of shops advertising themselves as Duty Free Shopping - as that's every one of the stores open for business.

Newly opened on top of the sparkling KTCT is an open-air rooftop park and at night, the terminal & those on board the ship have one of the best view of Kowloon & across the Victoria Harbour with the Victoria's Peak on top, weather permitting with little to no clouds obstructing the view.

Thanks so much for the detailed information! This is exactly what I needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would use the shopping center shuttle service

Technically correct, space permitting if & when you get on, subject to availability during their operating hours - depending on the crowd & lines for the complimentary services. The link above has the most current information on ground transportation, aside from taxi, the green PMB (mini bus, licensed & regulated) #86 run to/from "Kowloon Bay" MTR station, which will connect all over Kowloon, Hong Kong & NT - even to the HKIA (airport) or its Airport Express Station.

KTCT has free WiFi and all of HK's MTR station are free WiFi enabled inside the station's air-conditioned concourse, and, also wherever you see a public telephone booth, marked with the (free) WiFi symbol - speed is more than sufficient to "Google" local information & lookup POI attractions on Maps, and, even make - unsecured public network - Skype or similiar VoIP calls.

Two Apps that I highly recommend to download ahead of cruising & install, both in iOS & Android stores - is the free MTR App, as it will provide real-time transport options, routes & schedule, plus costs, etc. including bus routes & the Light Rail system in the outlying NT in bilingual Chinese/English format. http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/services/mtr_mobile.html

Currency exchange is available, at typical "airport" premium rates - for ship pax when terminal is open for sailing - passport or other acceptable official government ID are required for transactions, same as converting at local HSBC or other banks. Far easier is locate the nearest ATM terminal, just alert your bank/CC ahead of possible use, debit/ATM/CC with microships are NOT required.

If & when you are at the MTR stations, purchase the Octopus Card for transportation & it can be use at many places as a local debit card for small purchases, including McDonalds, chain pharmacy and dozens of 7-11's to purchase bottled waters, sodas & meals, toiletry items, and pay for coffee & snacks, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Staying overnight at the port isn't a bad thing, because there are plenty to see at those ports.

For Singapore, here is the cruise center where the Millenium will dock in. This video should be useful for you.

[YOUTUBE]-a5WI-KinVQ[/YOUTUBE]

Celebrity Millenium docked at Marina Bay Cruise terminal.

[YOUTUBE]u9MG8IeV-xk[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Iluvcruising2

In Singapore the MRT (subway) is within walking distance of the Marina Bay Cruise Terminal. and it will take you just about any place you want to go, cheap, clean and easy to use. You can also take the Hop On / Hop Off bus, not sure where it stops, but should not be that far. We used the HO / HO and saw most of the sites. We went to Raffles (Long Bar) and I ordered a Singapore Sling - a waste of money - US $30 for a small drink. If you want to the see bar, I would just order a beer or soft drink.

Yeah, as a local, I also agree that the Singapore Sling at the Raffles Long Bar is a rip-off. I'll call a spade a spade - it is a tourist trap.

Personally, I like the Singapore sling but ironically I don't drink it back home. I only order the Singapore Sling when I am flying on Singapore Airlines, be it in Economy or Business cabin, or the SilverKris lounge (when flying Business).

A Singapore Airlines flight trip report, if you're interested.

[YOUTUBE]9DQ1rE2-T8Q[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Iluvcruising2

The Ocean Terminal is definitely more convenient. I was in HK recently and noticed that the ships docked at Ocean Terminal were all Star Cruise ships.

Hong Kong, We stayed overnight at the new Kai Tak terminal on the Quantum. Taxi will by far be the most easiest option in either direction, however make sure you leave the terminal with a business card or map showing where it is, because not all taxi drivers speak English & not all of them have travelled out there as yet, as this happened to us on one of the return journey's.

Singapore, Taxi's are also pretty good here. There is a MRT station close by to Marina terminal, but I would say it is a very long walk & probably not doable if you have mobility issues as I have.

we are docking in the Millenium and many of us have late flights. Any suggestions on where to check luggage at port? Dont know if ship would let us leave bags since they are overnighting or when we would have to disembark.

Would welcome any suggestions as to how to handle that last, long day.

I've seen somewhere in my research, wish I could find it for you that we are able to check in and leave the luggage in at one of the railway stations in Kowloon. Might be worthwhile researching this and getting a taxi from port to the station to off load your luggage. Then you are free to explore and get the train or bus to the airport with just your hand luggage. There might even by lockers at the station to leave hand luggage. If I can find the info I will post it here.

We have an overnight at Hong Kong on our 25 October Japan and China cruise on Millennium.

Some of us were planning on visiting Chi Lin Nunnery, Nan Lian Garden and Kowloon Walled City Park.

Has anyone done this DIY? Apparently, the Chi Lin and Nan Lian are next to each other, and within walking distance of Diamond Hill MTR station.

We probably would need a taxi to Kowloon Walled City Park.

... Any suggestions on where to check luggage at port? Dont know if ship would let us leave bags since they are overnighting or when we would have to disembark. Would welcome any suggestions as to how to handle that last, long day.

For all cruises disembarking at Kowloon (Hong Kong)'s cruise terminals, the easiest way is to take a taxi to the Kowloon Airport Express Station near Tsim Sha Tsui, which offers free in-town luggage & airport check-in right at the station's concourse, subject to airline's participation (some permit check-in & bags dropped a day before departure) free-of-charge. You will need to bring your passports/travel documents & airline BP, etc. and purchase the AE Train pass (several discounts/options availabe) to take advantage of all these - which will quickly transport you from Kowloon to HKG in about 25 minutes, directly to exit immigration/customs checkpoint - right after security. As always keep your valuables & personal-important items with you in a small daypack or carry-on/backpack at all times while sightseeing the rest of the day.

Look under HK's MTR Airport Express for those with evening/late night departure. HK's taxis are reliable & efficient and inexpensive - and there's free porter service at the AE stations and free shuttle buses to/from nearby popular hotels, i.e. a ride after checking-in to the IC or Peninsula for PM High Tea.

We have an overnight at Hong Kong on our 25 October Japan and China cruise on Millennium. Some of us were planning on visiting Chi Lin Nunnery, Nan Lian Garden and Kowloon Walled City Park.

Has anyone done this DIY? Apparently, the Chi Lin and Nan Lian are next to each other, and within walking distance of Diamond Hill MTR station.

Both Chi Lin & Nan Lian can be easy reached using exit C2, clearly marked with bilingual signage at the Diamod Hill Station - about 3 blocks away.

On ship days, a special PMB route (green colored Public Mini Bus route) offer an inexpensive ride from the Kai Tak Cruise Terminal to the MTR station. From Diamond Hill, the eastern entraces to the Walled City Park is a 5 to 10 minutes taxi ride away as it's not near MTR station, metered fare is under $5 USD for the short ride. For first-time visitors to HK, the Wall City Park isn't exactly a popular or hot spot to visit unless one is into the former colony's Kowloon City's history under special rulings.

** Currently traveling in TPE & will be in ICN next week, and will post links to additional sites or details if needed.

We have an overnight at Hong Kong on our 25 October Japan and China cruise on Millennium.

Some of us were planning on visiting Chi Lin Nunnery, Nan Lian Garden and Kowloon Walled City Park.

Both the Chi Lin (strictly speaking it's a Monastery) and the Gardens are well worth a visit. They are just across the road from each other. From Diamond Hill MTR (which is below Plaza Hollywood Mall) then it's only a few minutes walk to Nan Lian, you will see Chi Lin when you are strolling on the road side of the park.

Both are an oasis of peace and calm in a busy city. Enjoy.

Yes. We stayed at Langham Hotel in TST for a few days pre-cruise (2012) and used MTR with the Octopus Card to get around. Nan Lian Gardens and Chi Lin Nunnery were on our must-see list. We took MTR from TST to Diamond Hill (Exit C2) then walked 5 min to Nan Lian Garden. Free admission to gorgeous landscaped grounds with ponds, waterfalls and temples. Then we walked across the bridge to Chi Lin Nunnery. Also free admission to more lovely grounds with lotus ponds, pavilions and buddha statues. We had lunch at Chi Lin Vegetarian Restaurant. Very inexpensive and delicious! We then took MTR to Prince Edward (Exit B1) for the famous HK markets and had a great time at the Bird Market, the Flower Market and the Goldfish Market. We returned by MTR to TST. This was 2012 so routes may have changed but using MTR with the Octopus Card was a simple and convenient way to get around.

We just came back from Hong Kong (short trip). We also visited earlier this year. I put up lots of info and videos at this blog post.

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/p/hong-kong-and-macau-2015.html

Some videos that you may find useful if you are spending some time in HK.

Upon landing at HKIA, we ate breakfast at Tsui Wah. Macaroni soup, fried eggs, croissant, tea, all for HK$40.

[YOUTUBE]muGfbirwqrs[/YOUTUBE]

We took Airport CityBus A21 from HKIA to our hotel.

[YOUTUBE]pts3aRh3YWU[/YOUTUBE]

For one trip, we stayed at Eaton Hotel, which is at 380 Nathan Road

[YOUTUBE]-3PGA6AUMH0[/YOUTUBE]

For another trip, we stayed at Hotel Panorama by Rhombus, East Tsim Sha Tsui area.

[YOUTUBE]jH4DH75MxUQ[/YOUTUBE]

Hope this is useful.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm working on a detailed itinerary for our days in Hong Kong. I saw you mentioned the shuttle from Kai Tak should go to Diamond Hill MTR. That is also the stop for Nanlian Gardens, if my research is correct. So am I correct in assuming Nanlian would be easy to get to from the ship? Thinking of doing that on the last morning ship is docked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk