Mobile

Just saw on the news that the Presser was slightly delayed due to the Mayor's flight. Mobile news reporting that it will be a CCL ship, but that 1) it will probably be seasonal sailings, and 2) CCL will make a statement after the Mayor's press conference on which ship, what dates, and the itinerary...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bmc alabama

UPDATE:

MOBILE, Ala. (WPMI) Mobile Mayor Sandy Stimpson says the city is in final contract negotiations with Carnival Cruise Lines.

"It's time to invite the world to enjoy our great city," Stimpson said.

Stimpson made the announcement at Mobile Regional Airport as he returned from Miami to meet with Carnival executives.

"Carnival knows more about the Mobile market than anyone else," Stimpson said. "They had a great experience with the team in charge of the terminal."

No details have been released. Stimpson says Carnival will announce the name of the boat, schedule and when it will arrive.

CCL statement:

"Carnival Cruise Line can confirm that we met with the Mayor of Mobile yesterday in Miami. We are in the final stages of contract negotiations with the City of Mobile for future cruises from the port. We expect this process to be concluded by the end of the month"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am glad to hear this. Flying has gotten so expensive, especially for a family of four. This port will be drivable for us. I hope they get at least the Conquest sized ship in there. I also hope the itinerary will be a variety. Maybe alternate from western and eastern. I never understand why the ports like Galveston and New Orleans do not offer more eastern choices (besides just to the bahamas). Jmo

I am glad to hear this. Flying has gotten so expensive, especially for a family of four. This port will be drivable for us. I hope they get at least the Conquest sized ship in there. I also hope the itinerary will be a variety. Maybe alternate from western and eastern. I never understand why the ports like Galveston and New Orleans do not offer more eastern choices (besides just to the bahamas). Jmo

I don't believe it is really possible to reach Eastern Caribbean cruise ports in just 7 days from Galveston and New Orleans, they would need to be much longer cruises, which although Carnival is trying to get into, most people still prefer the shorter 5-7 night cruises. Maybe with Amber Cove more cruises are possible but nothing to far in the Eastern like St. Thomas, San Juan or St. Maarten.

I bet you will see 5-7 night cruises to Mobile, most being Western with a few to like Key West, Nassau, Freeport, Amber Cove.

- Justin

The most prevalent rumor so far is that they're going to pull the Fantasy out of Charleston and send it down here to Mobile.

Doing the happy dance!

The Fantasy is already being replaced with the Ecstasy in Charleston. She then goes to Miami until Fascination comes up from San Juan. She then goes to dry dock and isn't scheduled anywhere after that. That is why she makes sense to homeport in Mobile

For Mobile's sake, I am pleased to learn of this. Your community and region have much to offer for a visitor. Given where I live, I would surely consider a drive to Mobile to embark a cruise.

As to which ship, how about Carnival Triumph?

The Triumph would be great, since it is larger than the Fantasy and has lots of balcony staterooms. Don't know that it will happen, but would be nice.

triumph is being used to replace the Elation in NOLA, while the Elation is being moved to Jacksonville, because the Fascination is going to San Juan

heck, just give me a boat that floats, and a lido deck, but I am happy that Mobile will be open for business again!

I don't believe it is really possible to reach Eastern Caribbean cruise ports in just 7 days from Galveston and New Orleans, they would need to be much longer cruises, which although Carnival is trying to get into, most people still prefer the shorter 5-7 night cruises. Maybe with Amber Cove more cruises are possible but nothing to far in the Eastern like St. Thomas, San Juan or St. Maarten.

I bet you will see 5-7 night cruises to Mobile, most being Western with a few to like Key West, Nassau, Freeport, Amber Cove.

- Justin

Sure, it's possible. Both New Orleans & Galveston run Eastern itineraries. I do think it may cost more, but it does happen. I went to the Bahamas out of Nola.

The ship from Mobile will be a Fantasy class and do Cozumel and Cozumel/Progreso runs if history repeats itself. I personally would like to see it do 3/4 day runs to Amber Cove. Giving it something different from New Orleans would be great and IMO a smart thing to do since most people will choose the Triumph from Nola over a Fantasy class in Mobile. A different port would be a good reason to get more people to choose Mobile. I would like to see Calica come back if Amber Cove doesn't happen.

Edited by cruzzza

According to Carnival today, they will be returning to Mobile next year. Carnival is in negotiations with the city to return. This info is on a couple of different cruise sites and was on John Heald's FB today.

They replaced Holiday with Elation in 2009 trying to get the fares up to where they needed to be before ultimately pulling the plug in 2012. Also...this apparently limits the ability for Carnival to put a big newer ship there...

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2012/05/07/cruise-failure-leaves-mobile-with-looming-debt/

"Gurganus said the lack of a turning basin large enough to handle ships at least 900 feet long is hurting Mobile, even though the terminal is only several miles from the open waters of the Gulf of Mexico. The city still gets occasional visits from smaller cruise ships, she said."

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for them to go back...I just don't think it's going to happen.

The Elation came into Mobile in May 2010, I was on-board