Booking Direct Thru Carnival vs an Agency

Luvsnorkeling

Please give your opinion of the advantages/disadvantages of booking directly through Carnival or booking through a cruise travel agency.

Does Carnival charge an agency fee? Do they offer any perks like agencies sometimes offer? Are there things one can avoid by booking through Carnival vs an agency? Is the travel insurance through one better than the other? Do you get better customer service through one rather than the other?

I realize that names of agencies probably cannot be mentioned. So to stay within the guidelines of this board, let's lump all cruise travel agencies together and pit them against booking direct through Carnival.

Just curious to hear other people's opinions/ideas/experiences.

Thanks all!

The price will be the same.

The difference may come in if some agencies offer extra "perks".

I always think that booking direct makes things easier.

The only reason we use an agent is because it is our niece and we want her to get her commission. The price though is exactly the same as if we booked through Carnival.

As for insurance, you'll have to compare policies depending on what is offered.

Please give your opinion of the advantages/disadvantages of booking directly through Carnival or booking through a cruise travel agency.

Does Carnival charge an agency fee? Do they offer any perks like agencies sometimes offer? Are there things one can avoid by booking through Carnival vs an agency? Is the travel insurance through one better than the other? Do you get better customer service through one rather than the other?

I realize that names of agencies probably cannot be mentioned. So to stay within the guidelines of this board, let's lump all cruise travel agencies together and pit them against booking direct through Carnival.

Thanks all!

Since 2001, I've always booked my Carnival cruise online, either with American vacations for the miles bonus or directly on Carnivals's website. Never needed or wanted a TA.

Since our first Carnival cruise in 2004, we have used a Carnival PVP (Personal Vacation Planner) who is a Carnival employee.

We do our own research and when we call we have very good idea of which cabin/area we want to be in. She sometimes sees cabins we can't see on Carnival's web site and several times they have been a better choice for us. She also knows where the bad areas are as well. :)

Edited by tandemcruzr

My Opinion Only

A Good/Great TA can be worth their weight in gold. Problem is,,,, these are very limited and hard to find.

A TA has hundreds of clients and are booking cruises and vacations for hundreds of different cruiselines or vacation spots around the world. If they tell you that they are looking for price drops on a daily basis and freely submitting price drop requests,, they are misleading you at best. They are just too busy. The TA may or may not willingly submit price drop requests when you bring such drop to their attention.

I'm uncomfortable that by contract, they are my negotiating agent with the end provider. Just like a labor union or a sports agent, only the TA can speak with the service provider. The TA is their customer, not me.

I'm uncomfortable that sometimes a TA will book you with a "Group" that you are not made aware of. You may or may not receive any of the amenities that are associated with this particular "Group".

Bottom line. A TA makes their livings off of commissions. These commissions come from the sale of cabins or vacation destinations, selling excursions, and selling insurance. When it comes to insurance, some of the policies they sell can only be sold by TA's. Just ensure that you get a policy that meets your needs. Whether it's thru the TA or a 3rd party.

Also Note that if Cancel For Any Reason, or Pre-Existing Conditions are of interest to you, these policies much be purchased within X number of days of your initial deposit.

I've booked cruises with my primary travel agent since last year. I cannot see myself going back to PVP anytime even remotely soon at this point. The attention to details, the level of service, and the perks I receive, I had never been given when booked my 6 prior cruises directly.

Edited by seannyice81

We got a free Steakhouse dinner for 2 and $50 on board credit with a TA. With CCL you get price protection if the price goes down, not with a TA.

Depending on how you book, you should be able to get price drops through a TA unless he/she does not want to be bothered with them. You should be able to get price drops up till final payment for most farecodes. Price protection up till 2 days before if booked Early Saver.

I don't know what you mean by price protection through CCL but not TA. A TA has the EXACT same abilities that CCL has as far as refaring prior to final payment or Early Saver. Unless you mean that your TA charges a refare fee which not all agencies do.

We got a free Steakhouse dinner for 2 and $50 on board credit with a TA. With CCL you get price protection if the price goes down, not with a TA.

I book my cruise on CCL on line, email my TA and turn the booking over to her to get some added perks. OBC and surprise gifts are a plus.

I check for price drops on my own and just contact her ask her check and if there is drop I get a new invoice by email.

For my upcoming cruise, TA booked for me.

I book through a local (small town) TA. He doesn't offer perks but he offers very good service. I always book Early Saver. I find the price drops and tell him. He submits them to Carnival.

I believe in shopping locally when possible and have always been very pleased with his service.

When he carries through on his threat to retire I will get a pvp. I would never book with an internet ta. I want to talk to the same person throughout the entire process, not someone who happens to answer the phone.

Carnival doesn't allow TAs to discount fares or to give lots of freebies. The work-around is if you book into an existing group and get their perks. Many TAs or their consortiums will book space on spec for certain cruises. Except for booking and perks you would never know your part of a group.

The bad part of booking thru a TA is that you need to go thru them for any issues related to your booking. If you need to change or cancel they might charge a change or cancellation fee.

I book direct thru Carnival, don't see a reason for a TA or PVP. When I have needed to make a change I just call Carnival and have had no issue getting things done. I like watching for price drops and submitting the form myself. Have had 3 so far for our next cruise. (A b2b)

With CCL you get price protection if the price goes down, not with a TA.

Not so- I book with an agency. I have submitted 4 price drops for a total of $430 since booking in January - I call, state where I saw the new price, verify it on Carnival's fare page, and my agent gets me the price drop.

On this trip I am receiving $50 OBC as well as $75 at the return of my trip in exchange for a copy of my onboard folio.

In the past I've rec'd various "perks" from the agency - from spa passes for a week, to OBC, to wine -

I am charged $25 for using the agency. Each trip I think I'll book directly - but I never do.

Since 2001, I've always booked my Carnival cruise online, either with American vacations for the miles bonus or directly on Carnivals's website. Never needed or wanted a TA.

Also my price dropped last week, called Carnival rep and she changed it for me over the phone without having to fill out the online form. Again no need for a TA. Perks - already get them.

where do you search for price drops?

Use the fare viewer to check the current fare price for your sailing and cabin catagory. Check each fare type that may be less than your current fare.

Don't forget to account for OBC. You may gain some OBC with the new fare or you may lose OBC from a previous promotion if the new sale doesn't offer any or as much.

Promotions that award free catagory upgrades limit your ability to match certain other fare types.

Fare viewer

http://www.carnival.com/BookingEngine/FareViewer/#

Use the price protection form to apply for the new lower price that you found. Remember, you have to see the lower price for your catagory. If your catagory is not listed, it's sold out and you can't get price drops unless your catagory again becomes available.

Price protection form

http://www.carnival.com/request-forms/price-protection-claim.aspx

If your request is denied, and you know you're right, there's a number to call in the rejection email. You should get your YES or NO within 24 hours. Sometimes as soon as 30 minutes.

Sometimes a TA doesn't have time to mess with all this. Especially since it lowers their commission.

Edited by Hawaiifrank

Thanks all!

This week we booked a CCL cruise in January, and had to decide between using our usual huge online TA, or booking directly with CCL. We were leaning toward using CCL b/c ppl report getting more calls with upsell offers when they book with a cruise line than a TA, and sometimes TA’s don’t even pass along upsell offers that they receive for customers. The online TA’s promotion was $100 Labor Day Week Sale OBC, $75 balcony OBC, and $25 beverage card. CCL was offering $15 pp OBC. Cabin prices were the same. So we called our PVP at CCL, and she said she could not match any TA’s offer, only sell her own product. Couldn’t kiss off $200 just for the chance of a nice upsell offer from CCL, so we went with the TA.

• 7 months later...

Thanks all!

It appears that the OP asked about booking and insurance and was given a couple of answers they didn't take heed of.

Momdaughterondestiny,

You must have gone on a personal search to dig this up from the

past to prove what point???

I had as many people say positive things about booking directly through Carnival as booking through a TA. That is why I tried it. Also, someone said or implied that sometimes Carnival has cabins that TAs aren't showing, which in my booking, was the case. Another reason I tried it.

It still doesn't cancel out the facts from my other thread that the Carnival rep did not explain the type of booking he was giving me nor explain that the cancel for any reason insurance was not cancel for any reason or that the ES booking he made for me already came with fees that even insurance would not reimburse. Why book me that way when I made it plain I might potentially need to cancel the booking? None of this was explained by the rep. Now I'm out $$ that I can't recover.

Momdaughterondestiny,

You must have gone on a personal search to dig this up from the

past to prove what point???

That you had asked about the insurance and booking with carnival vs other. I meant not harm or to be nasty. And it is not hard to find other posts of anyone just click on their name and scroll down.