Dog on cruise is better dressed than many passengers :)

Just returned from the 8/23 Freedom cruise. Cruise was wonderful. Just want to comment on a lady who had a small dog in a stroller. I saw her several times during the week. She was happy to show the dog to anyone.

We saw her with her dog in the stroller for the D+ upper tier/Pinnacle meal with officers and she even dressed the dog in a sailor outfit! There were about 30 people in attendance, with open seating and everyone avoided her table until it was the only one with remaining seats.

I've been on cruises with service dogs ( mostly for sight or mobility impaired individuals) but this was the first time I had seen a dog dressed up.

Marci.

It's kinda bothering me that that person was allowed to bring a dog (that was not a service dog) on to the ship...

and you know this how? many small breeds are being trained to detect oncoming seizures, low blood sugar and other issues.

'service animals' are SO much more than the stereotyped seeing eye dogs today.

yes I am more than well aware that emotional support animals are being called 'service animals' and thus people cheat their way around ADA.

I am equally aware( and just as disgusted as you) that people try an pass off their pet as either a SA or ESA

but I am also sick of the automatic assumption than any animal is not a true SA if the individual is not visibly handicapped. I am sick of the onus being us us to prove that our animals are legit.

and you know this how? many small breeds are being trained to detect oncoming seizures, low blood sugar and other issues.

yes I am more than well aware that emotional support animals are being called 'service animals' and thus people cheat their way around ADA.

I am equally aware( and just as disgusted as you) that people try an pass off their pet as either a SA or ESA

but I am also sick of the automatic assumption than any animal is not a true SA if the individual is not visibly handicapped. I am sick of the onus being us us to prove that our animals are legit.

I'm glad you said this………...

Small dogs make great service dogs and they can be trained to detect seizures and blood sugar abnormalities as well as providing emotional support.

Our dog has been trained to alert when my oxygen levels are too low.

He loves his clothes and will often get them from his little suitcase himself.

He has never been on a cruise, but maybe someday!10574296_1437740036467509_8551281541969500039_n.jpg.5c5ecf959809498054f59db926065c60.jpg

10557222_10152323189623907_4011926129951300436_n.jpg.80c0a2ef8537da2b23c6b1c5568ef193.jpg

Okay, didn't mean to offend anyone. I actually didn't know a lot of this, so thank you. If the dog was indeed a service dog, then that is great. I have no problem with them, and I shouldn't have assumed anything.

Similar to what you said, what I don't like is people who try to play the system. It makes me angry that people would attempt to bring animals that are not needed. Hopefully, this dog was needed for service. :rolleyes:

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Okay, didn't mean to offend anyone. I actually didn't know a lot of this, so thank you. If the dog was indeed a service dog, then that is great. I have no problem with them, and I shouldn't have assumed anything.

Similar to what you said, what I don't like is people who try to play the system. It makes me angry that people would attempt to bring animals that are not needed. Hopefully, this dog was needed for service. :rolleyes:

It was interesting to learn something new here, but it was interesting to note that there is an 'exception' to this rule.

In reading RCI's policy on this matter they define a policy for service dogs and a definition of what constitutes a service dog.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=service_animals

A service dog is defined as "any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability."

The article linked above then states that service dogs can not be 'trained' to alert for seizures but seem to be born with the capability and that there is no scientific proof of the theories on why this is possible.

This seems to contradict the definition of 'what is a service dog'

So, I noted that RCI have even added the text.

If you have an animal that does not meet the definition of a service animal (i.e. a dog trained to perform a task) but must accompany you in order to assist you with your disability, please contact our Access Department at least 60 days prior to sailing.

The problem is that ADA laws require the cruise lines (and restaurants, theme parks, shopping malls, basically any place) to accommodate service animals. They can't require any certifications an they can't even ask for any sort of proof that the animal provides any sort of specific service. I suppose the thought was asking these questions might embarrass or aggravate the disabled person. Even if they were able to require certifications, there are no "official" regulated certifications. But there are plenty of places on The Internet that will sell you a very nice looking "certificate" for $20 or so.

So, as is the usual case, some people have figured out that all they have to do is call their pet a "service animal" and they get to take it places it shouldn't be. A proper service animal is pretty easy to recognize as it will be trained to not bark or react to stressful situations. Personally, I believe that if business (cruise lines included) would start ejected people when their "service animals" began to interfere with the enjoyment of other guests (such as barking, biting, peeing, pooping, etc.) then this problem would go away. Yes, I am sure there is fear of ADA lawsuits, but I'll bet these rude people wouldn't push it that far as they would be discovered as just gaming the system.

Here's the giveaway: The dog is in a stroller and has an outfit on. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

A proper service animal is pretty easy to recognize as it will be trained to not bark or react to stressful situations. Personally, I believe that if business (cruise lines included) would start ejected people when their "service animals" began to interfere with the enjoyment of other guests (such as barking, biting, peeing, pooping, etc.) then this problem would go away. Yes, I am sure there is fear of ADA lawsuits, but I'll bet these rude people wouldn't push it that far as they would be discovered as just gaming the system.

RCI is quite clear on this matter, but I do like the 'etc.' at the end of the statement....

If the service dog's behavior creates a fundamental alteration or a direct threat to safety, the dog may be denied boarding or removed from the ship along with the owner at the guest's expense. Examples include: growling, barking excessively, initiating unsolicited contact, biting other guests and/or crewmembers, failure to use designated relief areas, sitting on furniture, eating from the table, etc.

As long as the dog wasn't dressed in jeans and flip flops on formal night, I'm good with it.;)

For the win!!! :D

On one of our recent cruises, we had a lady with a Yorkie. I kept telling my DH that there was a dog on the ship and he thought I was hitting the bars too much until we were getting on the elevator one day and she was getting off and he saw the dog for himself. She said it was a service dog.

On our last cruise we kept seeing a family with a small dog, and though it seemed unusual. Then one day we saw that they has a young man who was clearly autistic. My wife being a teacher surmised that the dog was indeed a service animal, as they have proven very effective in keeping autistic children calm.

Not sure about the stroller. Seems like that would have been against the terms, but I guess "restrained" is fairly vague. in the long run they are probably more afraid of getting sued for denying someone the right to bring a service dog, than they are worried about a few people taking advantage. Now if 30% of passengers wanted to bring dogs, you would likely see a change in policy.

As far as people "getting away" with something. It's going to happen. Cost of doing business.

Oh, and technically the dog can wear flip flops and jeans to formal night if it like, it is not covered by the cruise ticket contract. Loop hole they should close.

Can the dog hold a chair for you at the pool? Is that a service? How awesome would it be to see Saint Bernard laying across 4 pool chairs, and the deck crew debating how to get him moved?

I was standing at Guest Relations when (on the last day) guest were throwing a loud fit about the dog being allowed in dining room. I thought it was quite funny because the dog was tiny and so very calm. i didn't ever see the dog do anything that would cause objection. It looked spoiled that's forsure. it caused less of a disturbance than most children did.

We were on a cruise where the guy across the hall had a service dod complete with sunglasses and sailor hat. Ok I could buy he had a disability except he bragged how he sails for days by himself on his boat. how can someone so disabled travel so far from services.