Ship Review - Azamara Journey/Comparison to Celebrity/RCI

mrsaquashark

Thank you OP for the very detailed review. We have not been on Azamara and have one booked. The advice I was given is in line with your review with respect to the ships. That is that they are a bit old, worn, and tired. At the same time, I have been advised that the service you get is far better than what you get on the mass market lines. However, it's disappointing that you rated the food as similar to Royal Caribbean, which I find to be a step below Princess.

I suppose my hopes for my future Azamara cruise are raised with the news of the refurbishments of these ships even though many of the loyal Cruise Critic members are threatening to find other alternatives. We do enjoy newer and modern ships and expanded dining choices, especially like the new Pan Asian restaurant they are discussing.

Since our cruise is not for another 22 months (we cancelled our cruise for next summer), we look forward to reading reviews of the Quest after the refurbishments. We are also looking forward to the port experiences which OP confirmed are better with the extended hours and even days in ports. That will be new to us.

You are better to go and experience Azamara for yourself and come to your own conclusions. Yes, I've seen occasional comment the ships are worn, but I don't agree and to describe them as old and tired does them and people reading about them here a disservice if you haven't seen it for yourself. Also to say that many loyal Cruise Critic members are threatening to find alternatives because of the ship updates is off the mark. There has been much discussion here about Kibo and many posters aren't happy, but I've seen very few people saying they'll look for an alternative because of it. I'm still hopeful Azamara are listening and will come to at least a compromise over the use of space for the Asian restaurant.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Good review and follow-up comments. Knowing the Azamara ships are undergoing extensive refurbishments early in 2016 prepares me for the fact that staterooms won't be quite luxurious....I do love the photos of the new look!

I appreciate the tip about asking for the previous night's wine at MDR, if the current one is not to one's liking. And good info about the hard sell on liquor....knowing this info will not make me shy about telling the bartender that the regular brands are absolutely fine for me thru-out the voyage. If the staff is really as good as they say about remembering each person, then I expect I will only need to say this once.

Looking forward to my own Azamara experience!

You are better to go and experience Azamara for yourself and come to your own conclusions. Yes, I've seen occasional comment the ships are worn, but I don't agree and to describe them as old and tired does them and people reading about them here a disservice if you haven't seen it for yourself. Also to say that many loyal Cruise Critic members are threatening to find alternatives because of the ship updates is off the mark. There has been much discussion here about Kibo and many posters aren't happy, but I've seen very few people saying they'll look for an alternative because of it. I'm still hopeful Azamara are listening and will come to at least a compromise over the use of space for the Asian restaurant.

Phil

Well said, Phil.

And, because one opinion says Azamara's food is no better than RCCL's, that doesn't make it true. We spent more than a month on a Princess ship this past wiinter, and the food was nowhere near Azamara standards. The couple with whom we traveled are Diamond on Princess, and they were even more vocal about the quality of Princess's food vis a vis Azamara's.

Phil

Phil, my first Azamara cruise is still a ways off, but I am very much looking forward to it. I really hope that Azamara does not not back off and decides to go forward with the Pan Asian restaurant. We'll see what happens.

I did read that some were saying that their favorite part of Azamara cruises was the buffet and that if Azamara took that away, they might look elsewhere. People are going to do what they're going to do. Also, what is old and tired to some, is comfortable and elegant to others. That might be a matter of taste to the OP and others who want newer and refurbished ships. I'm sure we'll have a great time on the Quest in the Med in 2017 because we pretty much enjoy everything.

Thanks for the review I was very interested because our most recent cruise was Celebrity Silhouette and our first time on Azamara will be next year. We decided to try Azamara specifically for the British Open Golf Cruise. We've been on Carnival, RCL, NCL, Princess, Seabourn, Silversea in addition to Celebrity. Frankly, we were disappointed in Celebrity, although I agree it is a beautiful ship, we especially loved all the outdoor furniture including the Bali beds. But we really did not think it was that much better than Princess for the much higher cost (and we got a free upgrade to concierge class which I would never pay for). I did not think service was very good and I disliked how much they seem to be operating on a class system--especially the beverage packages -- we had the unlimited classic rather than premium and it ended up being annoying all the drinks you couldn't get and getting a wine glass refilled in the MDR was difficult, we decided we'd rather be on Princess and pay by the drink to get what we want. And all the "private clubs" etc. that made you feel the high price you paid still wasn't enough. But the food was pretty good. So we will see how we like Azamara. I do have to say that for the cost of the cruise, the beverages should be completely unlimited for any brand, like SB or SS. But we are excited to sail on the refurbished Quest and excited for the ports!

hard to believe that bar will be closed anymore than anyone can enjoy a drink in Prime C..i just thunk it will be hard to get a seat there from say 6 to 9 but the last hour should be ok .i go to prime c just to drink some nights

Azamara has decided against the Asian restaurant and the Sunset Bar will continue as is with refurbishment. I was thrilled to learn this

We've been on the Silhouette. We never felt the friendliness of officers or staff like we do Azamara. The food was good, but we did not think it was as good as Azamara's.

We were recently on the Summit. The officers and staff reminded me a lot like being on Azamara....although we feel Azamara still has the edge, specificically the Journey, which is the ship we've sailed on. We dined in Blu and thought it was very good. We're on the Summit again in a few weeks....I thought their New England/Canada itinerary was well suited to our wishes.

I appreciate the OP's review and glad she took the time to write it. Her points were well taken. I wonder though if part of it was due to their age....Azamara pax are usually a little "more seasoned". 😉

There are many things we like better on Azamara and will sail with them as long as the itineraries are what we want and we can afford it.

Our next ACC will be on the Quest because of the itinerary. I'm told we'll be every bit as happy as we are with the Journey.

Our next ACC will be on the Quest because of the itinerary. I'm told we'll be every bit as happy as we are with the Journey.

I am sure you will love Quest as much as Journey. The ships are virtually identical. I have very slight leaning towards Quest but would go on both in a heartbeat. Our next Azamara cruise is in fact on Journey.

I am sure you will love Quest as much as Journey. The ships are virtually identical. I have very slight leaning towards Quest but would go on both in a heartbeat. Our next Azamara cruise is in fact on Journey.

I've seen many pictures of the Quest. I've read and been told the atmosphere and friendliness of officers and staff are the same as Journey. I wish I could find a sailing that we'd like to do sooner than next August.

When I first started cruising it was on small ships. After cruising some larger ships, I found I liked the smaller ones better. It seems that it was too expensive to run the smaller ships and they began to go out of business. The profit was in the mega ships and they have tended to replace the smaller ones. I usually liked 90,000 and no larger, but tried the Carnival Breeze this past June. I really like the smaller ships more now after that ride. Carnival food was good and lots of variety. Specialty restaurants on Carnival excellent. East Indian food and Mongolian food selections in a buffet style was OK. Hamburger lines too long. Anytime dining did not turn out well as we would take a beeper and sometimes waited 45 minutes to eat.

When I cruise Renaissance R-2 1999 I had a great deal of difficulty changing my flight arrangements. All the R ships were great on the water and their dining system was great. We had an Aft cabin, but not the corner Aft. The Management of Renaissance would not work with travel agents and I thought it could very well be their downfall. The R-2 rode great in the water. I consider the “R” ships as in the smaller class. I think Azamara Journey was the R-7 built in 2000 so it is 15 years old just like the MIllenniium.

Sun Line owned by Marriott Corp at one time is no longer and so has Royal Cruise line has gone by. Silversea is a good product and I have thought that Azamara is Celebrity’s response to Silversea. Both are in the smaller class and therefore more expensive. Azamara’s regular veranda cabins have real small bathrooms and their cabins are smaller than Silversea, but service on Azamara is not so formal as Silversea. I think I had more fun on Azamara than Silversea. We will see next month if Azamara repeats.