Anyone done a ships final cruise?

Lindypops

I can understand how you feel. We came to America From Scotland when I was 10 in 1951. We sailed on an ocean liner the MV Georgic which had been used as a troop ship in WWII. Our family was in steerage with my Mum with 11 other ladies in one cabin and my Dad, brother and me in a like cabin. It was like living in a barracks. ;) A great experience for a 10 year old on our 10 day crossing.

Georgic.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Georgic_(1931)

Scotty G., you obviously know a real ship when you see one, after finding your sea legs on the last vessel of the White Star Line. They sure don't make them like that anymore!

I didn't discover the Norway until I was about 34. It was my first cruise and I became hooked on ocean voyages.

But after spending so much time on a truly unique, historic ship, I feel as if everything out there now is basically a pre-fab floating condo block from the same assembly line, no matter what extreme gimmicks they pile on certain ones in an effort to distinguish them.

OK I would be reluctant to cruise on a last cruise but not on Splendour. We had two memorable cruises on her. One Eastern Med. Venice/Venice and a Royal Suite Cruise from Lisbon to Venice as part of her repro from South America. We loved her....I will be logging on later to see if we can fit in one last cruise.

She is a grand lady rather than a bells and whistles RCCL. I hope you have a great cruise, just about to log on.....we may look at joining you!

Hope you have a great time.

Many years ago DW and I were on the TS Fairsky for its last cruise as a Sitmar ship. At the end of our cruise the ship was taken over by Princess (they bought the entire Sitmar cruise line) and renamed the Fair Princess. The Fairsky was part of an Italian cruise company and many Italians worked on board. One afternoon we were in a bar where service was totally awful. When a passenger complained a supervisor came into the bar to intervene. The bar tender totally lost his temper, started yelling, and said he just did not care anymore because he (and most of the Italian crew) was being fired after the cruise.

Hank

And then there are the people who went on cruises that were not intended to be final cruises but ended up being so. I am sure that you do not want to include those cruises. The Costa Concordia comes to mind on that one.

DON

Titanic, Andrea Doria