Explore 4 beverage card and mariner spending question

cruz chic

Well, I'm a little disappointed in the Mariner Society because they didn't get back to me as promised. I'll give it until next week and then call back. Will keep you all posted (even though we all know what the outcome will be!).

Thanks for the update. They likely want people to forget.

My cruise that I booked on our cruise this past March for our Med cruise on The Eurodam October 9th, 2016is still the same price when we purchased it. Explore 4 did not change at all.

So go figure!

I checked again this am and it is still the same. hummmmm.

Denise:)

That's great - no fare increase and get Explore 4 :)

If the the way it works, then it would give everyone on an Explore4 package an incentive to order all 15 drinks every day, even if they then just pour half of them down the drain. Extra immediate wasted costs for the cruise line in drinks; extra potential costs in faster promotion to higher Mariner tiers. It wouldn't make much sense.

I was thinking the same thing.

Seattle probably is confused with the free drinks package verses one that is paid for.

I was thinking the same thing.

Seattle probably is confused with the free drinks package verses one that is paid for.

A company does not stay in business for as long as Holland America has by being "confused". It is always surprising when people here think the company is being run by a bunch of imbeciles.

A company does not stay in business for as long as Holland America has by being "confused". It is always surprising when people here think the company is being run by a bunch of imbeciles.

Absolutely, but I think Jade13 may not be referring to the higher ups in Seattle, just the front line employees who interact with the pax.

These front line employees do not seem to have correct or current info at times.

Sounds like poor training on HAL's part or unengaged employees.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Great post! As usual IMO you are spot on ... to me it's even more surprising to see some posters say (or strongly imply) that such missteps are intentional and that HAL intentionally gives out bad and/or conflicting info. If I believed HAL was run by a bunch of malevolent imbeciles, I certainly wouldn't trust my safety (and that of my family) to the people staffing/running HAL's ships.

Great post! As usual IMO you are spot on ... to me it's even more surprising to see some posters say (or strongly imply) that such missteps are intentional and that HAL intentionally gives out bad and/or conflicting info. If I believed HAL was run by a bunch of malevolent imbeciles, I certainly wouldn't trust my safety (and that of my family) to the people staffing/running HAL's ships.

Good post. I agree, as noted.

While posters have observed that HAL employees sometimes provide inaccurate information - this thread provides an excellent example - no one is accusing HAL of intentionally giving out wrong information IMO.

I'm glad to read that you don't put your trust in malevolent imbeciles, something you actually have in common with all CC members. :)

While posters have observed that HAL employees sometimes provide inaccurate information - this thread provides an excellent example - no one is accusing HAL of intentionally giving out wrong information IMO.

I'm glad to read that you don't put your trust in malevolent imbeciles, something you actually have in common with all CC members. :)

That's it in a nutshell. I haven't seen one post suggesting that. It's a huge, huge stretch to suggest that.

Thanks for posting this.

You purchased the Signature Beverage package? Or you had Explore 4?

Just to make sure: this thread is about Explore 4 which is included in the price of the cruise. The SBP is what you pay for yourself separately.

I may have created unnecessary confusion by being totally mistaken (wrong). As background, while on a cruise, we arranged a subsequent cruise that included the Explore 4 package. However, our plans changed. After going with another cruise, we forfeited most of the Explore 4 package, but not the SBP. So we still had the SBP, without paying for it separately. The incorrect assumption I made had to do with how we were credited with cruise days based on on-board purchases. I assumed we were getting credit for beverage purchases even though we had the SBP. That is wrong. The additional days we got were based on the excursions we purchased through HAL. Sorry about my mis-statements. Still recovering from a wonderful cruise. :o

I may have created unnecessary confusion by being totally mistaken (wrong). As background, while on a cruise, we arranged a subsequent cruise that included the Explore 4 package. However, our plans changed. After going with another cruise, we forfeited most of the Explore 4 package, but not the SBP. So we still had the SBP, without paying for it separately. The incorrect assumption I made had to do with how we were credited with cruise days based on on-board purchases. I assumed we were getting credit for beverage purchases even though we had the SBP. That is wrong. The additional days we got were based on the excursions we purchased through HAL. Sorry about my mis-statements. Still recovering from a wonderful cruise. :o

Thanks for your response. I was wondering about this.

I can understand getting a a bit mixed up: I am useless for days after a cruise!!

Glad you enjoyed the Noordam.

... For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would participate if they think there is nothing but poor information here...

I wouldn't presume to speak for anyone but myself, but I come here for the entertainment the posts provide. Thanks for asking.

I wouldn't presume to speak for anyone but myself, but I come here for the entertainment the posts provide. Thanks for asking.

That speaks volumes and is definitely not in the spirit of Cruise Critic or the intent of the site. It was not created to provide entertainment to those who can't make their own.

There are three possibilities:

1) front line customer service people make it up as they go along if they don't have the answer in front of them. Saying "I don't know" is anathema to them.

2) Front line customer service people are deliberately provided with conflicting/confusing information

3) CC posters are very poor listeners/questioners when talking to HAL's CSRs. All of them.

I personally (and from much CSR experience) pick #1, but you could choose a different answer. After all, this is just opinion, we don't have the facts.

I totally agree. It is sad if one enjoys some of the bullying, inappropriate comments, etc. that goes on here and calls it entertainment.

The poster said they read for entertainment value, there was no mention of

"bullying, inappropriate comments, etc.". Of course, some may consider that entertaining also...

That speaks volumes and is definitely not in the spirit of Cruise Critic or the intent of the site. It was not created to provide entertainment to those who can't make their own.

It's quite possible to be both entertaining and informative at the same time. After all, the subtitle is "A Community of People Who Love To Cruise".

Would you remove all of the entertaining posts from the boards?

By "Seattle" I mean the Reps giving out the information, which as most of us know did turn out to be incorrect.

Edited by Jade13

There are three possibilities:

1) front line customer service people make it up as they go along if they don't have the answer in front of them. Saying "I don't know" is anathema to them.

2) Front line customer service people are deliberately provided with conflicting/confusing information

3) CC posters are very poor listeners/questioners when talking to HAL's CSRs. All of them.

I personally (and from much CSR experience) pick #1, but you could choose a different answer. After all, this is just opinion, we don't have the facts.

Agree with you. Also think #3 is possible which is why I asked if the person calling made it clear they were asking about a "Free" drinks package that was part of their cruise fare. Of course if they paid independently for the drinks package of course they would get additional mariner credit.

Edited by Jade13