Multi-plug OK--just no surge protector?

swomom

We had something interesting happen when boarding in Vancouver recently. I had a surge protector in my carry on. When I put it in the scanner the security person in Canada Place said they had to take it from me and we would get it back at the end of the cruise. On the first day of the cruise I went to Passenger Services to see if they had an extension cord I could borrow, since our surge protector was taken. They called Security and Security said that we could have the surge protector back. They said it was taken by shore-side security not by ship's security, and they gave it back to me.

It was clearly a surge protector, but maybe the Security person wasn't familiar with it.

I'm not saying surge protectors are safe; just relaying our experience.

Thank you for your concise answer.

If the use of a surge suppressor is so dangerous, I wonder why Princess doesn't have a policy regarding their use onboard their ships. :confused: I've never seen anything on the a Princess website, in their literature or onboard addressing this issue.

Lew

I just had my TA talk to her contact at Princess in July about this and confirmed that power bars, etc are OK ONLY if there is no surge suppressor present.

I want one of those. Amazon? Tell me, does it fit vertically in the space where the outlets are on the ship? In other words, is there enough room between the outlet and the desk surface below it? I'm assuming if you use it it must work.

If you look at the picture you will see that the cord is actually wrapped around from the other end of the unit so it isn't as short as it first appears. I did get it from Amazon but don't remember what I paid.

I want one of those. Amazon? Tell me, does it fit vertically in the space where the outlets are on the ship? In other words, is there enough room between the outlet and the desk surface below it? I'm assuming if you use it it must work.

Yes, Amazon. I can't answer your other question just yet but many here use it so presumably there are no issues.

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1441247806&sr=8-2&keywords=monster+outlet

BTW, right now as I post it's listed under a seller selling at about twice the price I paid from Amazon. Check regularly and wait for Amazon to sell it.

OMG, Thrak posts he won't use the Belkin product with the surge protector because it is not safe and now someone wants one. At first I thought it was going to be for home or hotel use but no, it is clearly for the ship.

And then someone else thinks it is OK because "many here use it so presumably there are no issues." Really?? Seems to me there have been plenty of posts in this and many other threads clearly defining the safety issues.

OMG, Thrak posts he won't use the Belkin product with the surge protector because it is not safe and now someone wants one. At first I thought it was going to be for home or hotel use but no, it is clearly for the ship.

I think you misread this post, they are asking about the one without the surge protection.

But you are correct that some people just don't get it. There is one particular poster who more than anyone else should understand just how serious a fire at sea can be.

And then someone else thinks it is OK because "many here use it so presumably there are no issues." Really?? Seems to me there have been plenty of posts in this and many other threads clearly defining the safety issues.

What I responded to (and provided a link for), as another has noted, is not a surge protector - just a short extension cord with multiple outlets. And my comment about it must work as others use it was in response to the question if there was enough room between the outlet and the desk. Edited by Nezmo

I'm a techie, lots of trade shows, lots of equipment etc.

I only buy top-of-the-line power strips.surge protectors, never any of the cheapies.

A couple of years a go we boarded, in setting up the room I plugged the power strip in, plugged two phone chargers in and charged two phones & plugged in my laptop as well.

The call to Muster sounded, we left the room, and as it was on HA, it was outside and I forgot my sunglasses and had to go back to the room. Opened the door to see smoke starting to pour out of my expensive power strip. Unplugged it, grabbed it, got the other plugs out of it and dumped it into the bathroom sink and flooded it.

That was spooky. I've often wondered what would have been the result if I had not gone back for my sun glasses.

And yes, I'd always done that, with never a problem, up until that day.

slo

What I responded to (and provided a link for), as another has noted, is not a surge protector - just a short extension cord with multiple outlets. And my comment about it must work as others use it was in response to the question if there was enough room between the outlet and the desk.

My humble apologies, I certainly did read the post incorrectly. You and Shredie clearly "get it".

Thanks for your understanding.

Edited by beg3yrs
forgot to mention Shredie as well

I would add that it is possible to use a surge protector sometimes and not have any problems. But you are rolling the dice.

It's a lot like those experiments in science museums where you put your hand on this sphere and it makes your hair stand up. Usually in nature, your hair doesn't just electrically stand up by itself. But sometimes static electricity builds up, and you feel it. Out at sea, there is no ground, to equalize things. That kind of electricity can build up from time-to-time, and you won't even notice. But the surge protector does. If that sort of build-up never happens, you get lucky. But if it does, that's when you start to trip fuses and blow things up.

FWIW, I have one of the Outlets to Go OTG-4 power strips from Monster. Excellent travel power strip - the cord is long enough to be useful but not too long to become difficult to manage. Cord wraps back around the strip to plug into an outlet. Cord length is 12 inches. Four three prong outlets. The power cable is listed as 14AWG. For those curious, when plugged into an outlet with the grounding prong down, the cable and outlets run off to the left side. The plug does not rotate.

Although the strip is listed for 110v, I have been in contact with Monster. They have said that it is actually good to 240v. I do not use it for 220v onboard a ship, but have used it for that on land. No apparent problems or heating. Of course, YMMV.

All in all, quite happy with it. It's permanently in my "go bag".

Disclosure: I do not use this for any type of high-draw equipment. General use is for a laptop, portable printer and recharging of camera batteries and phone/tablet.

My humble apologies, I certainly did read the post incorrectly. You and Shredie clearly "get it".

Thanks for your understanding.

Yep. :) I'm looking for one of those thingys now online to see if I can beat Amazon's current seller price. It's just for my phone and a couple of e-readers. One more thing. I suppose it's lightweight?

Amazon has the Monster to Go four outlet for $26.79. They also have Monster Outlets to Go 3 Outlets plus 2 USB for $10.99. Like the four outlet the Monster website says it will handle 220 volts which is why I got one for upcoming Australia trip. USB still outputs correctly using 220 volts input. Neither of these are surge protectors.