Beware Liberty OTS Canada/New England Sailing

Literally turned away. Being told that the dining room cannot except any more guests even though a good portion of time was left remaining for breakfast. The 45 minutes is to actually get an elevator going your direction which has space combined with wait times for events.

So you didn't actually wait 45 minutes for an elevator as you originally reported?

It was an interesting complaint thread. I've been cruising for a number of years mostly with RCI and keep coming back because of the 99% positive experience. I will be cruising on LoS in a couple weeks so the thread had special interest.

One post mentioned "my time dining" I had been using this without issue until our last cruise in March when we showed up the first evening and were refused! I was told they did not have any tables available and we should go to the Windjammer. We did. The next night we decided to go early when the opened and with an empty dining room and first in line we were refused, this time, told we didn't have a reservation. That surprised me because I thought My Time was mine to select. They said no you now need to have made a reservation on the first day for the week. Apologies for not being told this. So, we were told to wait and if someone didn't show up for the 6PM we could have their table. We waited 20 minutes and got a table. For the rest of the week that is what we did, go standby and wait the 20 minutes for a no show. My Time Dining is really Your Time Dining.

Be sure to make reservations now for all My Time dining and show up on time!

We're seniors but still get our exercise by taking the stairs. Rarely take the elevators.

Most times the shore excursions are packed getting off the ship and if you wait until the last minute to get back on. Tender waits are always worse. Expect that.

Most of my experience has been on ships with lots of kids. Parents of undisciplined kids are usually rude and obnoxious. Disney was fun but had the most annoying parents with undisciplined kids. I welcome a cruise that is to be mostly seniors for a change unless it becomes a bumper cars carnival of rude and dangerous scooter drivers. :)

OK, that's my 1% bad experience. We have our My Time reservations made for the next time so we don't have to do My Time stand by.

I am sailing on Liberty of the Seas in 20 days on the New England Cruise and I am so looking forward to it - first time on Royal Caribbean and all completely new ports. I am not so worried about waiting for elevators as we will take the stairs, and won't worry about waiting for a table as we are on vacation and there is no rush - we have mytime dining and I have pre-booked times in the MDR, but if I can't get in at the times I booked I am sure that there will be other options. I certainly won't be stressing over it. :D

We have only previously cruised Disney, so this will be a very different experience and I am looking forward to being able to chat with people of all ages, especially with those who have a wealth of life and cruise experiences. I would never consider having to wait behind more senior or infirm people to be a hindrance .... surely a bit of patience and consideration from younger and fitter individuals isn't too much to ask, as one day we will be the ones needing assistance.

Currently writing from onboard Liberty sailing its first itinerary to Canada and New Englad. A few words of caution for cruisers booked on subsequent sailings - prepare for significant overcrowding and poor service onboard the ship. Food and beverage outlets are overtaxed at peak times especially on at sea days resulting in people being turned away from dining venues and or finding random alternate locations to eat. Entertainment and activity venues are poorly planned requiring you to show up at least an hour before the show to avoid not having seats. To get anywhere on the ship you need to leave your stateroom 45 minutes early because of elevator crowding. Significantly long delays occurred during disembarking for the tender operation at Bar Harbor. Crew appears overwhelmed by this itinerary and the special needs it requires. Had to contact RCI corporate second day out for resolution. Initial follow up from onboard staff was good but issues still exist. Just a few words of warning!

Thanks for reporting. I might consider this trip in the future. From what I have seen with Royal, the first time some things happen, it can be a cluster, but with experience they work them out. I am only slightly mobility impared, but I can get anywhere on the ship from anywhre else in 5 minutes without the elevators. Tendering on a Freedom class ship could be interesting I imagine, but that can/should be a function of the port. If Royal keeps this itinerary, I hope they work something out. I'll be watching for other reviews.

I would absolutely never wait 45 minutes for an elevator unless I had to...

The OP did say waiting for an elevator going in their direction that wasn't full. I learned a trick from Japanese tourist in Honolulu. If you want to go down and all the elevators are full hit the up button, get in an empty elevator, ride to the top, press your desired floor and ride down. Of course this is why all the down elevators were full! :D

Currently writing from onboard Liberty sailing its first itinerary to Canada and New Englad. A few words of caution for cruisers booked on subsequent sailings - prepare for significant overcrowding and poor service onboard the ship. Food and beverage outlets are overtaxed at peak times especially on at sea days resulting in people being turned away from dining venues and or finding random alternate locations to eat. Entertainment and activity venues are poorly planned requiring you to show up at least an hour before the show to avoid not having seats. To get anywhere on the ship you need to leave your stateroom 45 minutes early because of elevator crowding. Significantly long delays occurred during disembarking for the tender operation at Bar Harbor. Crew appears overwhelmed by this itinerary and the special needs it requires. Had to contact RCI corporate second day out for resolution. Initial follow up from onboard staff was good but issues still exist. Just a few words of warning!

Well that's odd. We've been on the Indy (identical ship) 3 times and 3 times they were sold out. We've never run into this. About the only complaint I would have is that the anytime dining can sometimes result in a wait of 15 or 20 minutes. Elevator crowding? Never have I had to leave my room 45 minutes early to get somewhere. If it was that bad, I'd walk.

Dunno about this one.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

It could also mean that the pool deck is underutilized. If the weather is bad, or the demographic is such that the pool deck is not being used much, I've seen many inside areas packed. All chairs and tables in Cafe Promenade occupied all day long. Over 100 people at triva. Etc.

The weather is gorgeous on the East coast right now and has been for days.

The OP did say waiting for an elevator going in their direction that wasn't full. I learned a trick from Japanese tourist in Honolulu. If you want to go down and all the elevators are full hit the up button, get in an empty elevator, ride to the top, press your desired floor and ride down. Of course this is why all the down elevators were full! :D

BillOh... That is awesome! Of course that was why the down were always full, I am sure others have learned that trick. LOL!

We do this all the time. You go Up to go Down or you go Down to go Up.:p

We did that at every hotel we visited in Israel. When all the tour buses left in the morning the elevators were packed after breakfast with people wanting to go up to get their luggage, so we went down instead and then up. After grabbing our stuff we then went up in order to go down. Makes total sense to me! :D:D

Don't believe a single word of this post.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Should RCI designate one ship as geriatric only?:D We've been on most of the ships in the fleet, and have found this to be the case more often than not and itinerary has nothing to do with it.

IMHO, it's nice to see folks that are in their advanced years still able to cruise and enjoy life. Sure, we might have to step back, give them some extra time and show a little more patience, but just remember, that everyone will be in that age group soon or later.:)

Well said, Patti! And we've met and enjoyed wonderful fellow passengers, as 'young' as 98! Enjoy your upcoming birthday (with your adorable grandchildren)!

Thanks for asking Tamara. I don't see what guest demographics or itinerary has to do with any of the problems you encountered.

We did a b2b on Liberty in June which included a 5 day Bermuda Itinerary and a 9 day Caribbean itinerary and we had no problems. The crew and staff were absolutely wonderful and Customer Service was not a problem.

The problems that you have described above will be evident on almost any ship you go on not just Liberty.

I'd like to know when the last cruise was for that one complainer, as I have cruise on 10 different ships, and those are common issues on ANY ship! And the larger the ship, the more passengers. I sailed the Oasis in February with 6,000 passengers on board. There were times you could NOT get into the WJ for breakfast or lunch! The solution--try any of the other free venues. Busy? Yes! But probably one of my most favorite cruises! Just BEING on a cruise--ANY CRUISE--is wonderful to me! And BTW---what DOES demographics have to do with overcrowded dining and elevators?? LOL!! Too funny for words!!

We're on board the Liberty now. The ship is sailing full but we knew that before we boarded and adjusted our expectations. We knew it would be busy with so many people. Yes, there are many elderly people and lots of scooters and wheelchairs but I have not witnessed any rude behavior. Everyone I've seen is patient and accommodating. You know the old saying--There but for the grace of God go I. Everyone (crew and passenger alike) looks to be enjoying the spectacular weather we've lucked in upon. There are plenty of little children on board too.

The venues have been crowded during peak times but this is certainly not a ship problem. You want to eat out or see a show on land during popular times and you run into the same issues! I don't see how the OP could be peeved about this. We roll with the flow. We tried two times to see the ice show only to find we were too late, despite having arrived 15 minutes early. We found other things to do instead. On the third show, we got there half an hour early armed with Kindles to amuse ourselves and all was good. There's a reason there are multiple showings and if anyone missed out on a show it was surely their choice.

As for dining, same thing. Everyone wants to eat at the same time so of course there are lines. It's much more sensible to think a little outside the box and eat either on the earlier or later side. We've been very pleased with the service from the dining staff. We have two young children at our table and our two waiters have been treating them like little princes and princesses. It's been delightful.

Boston and Bar Harbor did present some challenges getting on and off the ship but that was because of the tides...and everyone wanting to do the same thing at the same time. We sized up the Bar Harbor tendering process and played a few rounds of mini golf rather than make ourselves miserable waiting in the stairwells with hundreds of other people. So what if we got into Bar Harbor later than we planned. Small peanuts in the scheme of things.

All in all we've had a fantastic week. The crew is just lovely and they're very attentive to guests. We have a deck 7 aft cabin and at the start of the cruise I could hear music wafting in from somewhere while sitting on our balcony. At first it was charming to listen to but by the fourth day I thought my ears would explode if I had to hear "Moon River" one more time. It was so intrusive. I called down to Guest Services and they sent someone down to our cabin straight away to listen to the balcony music. The problem was quickly corrected and now all we hear on our balcony is the beautiful sound of breaking waves. Well done, Liberty!

We're on board the Liberty now. The ship is sailing full but we knew that before we boarded and adjusted our expectations. We knew it would be busy with so many people. Yes, there are many elderly people and lots of scooters and wheelchairs but I have not witnessed any rude behavior. Everyone I've seen is patient and accommodating. You know the old saying--There but for the grace of God go I. Everyone (crew and passenger alike) looks to be enjoying the spectacular weather we've lucked in upon. There are plenty of little children on board too.

The venues have been crowded during peak times but this is certainly not a ship problem. You want to eat out or see a show on land during popular times and you run into the same issues! I don't see how the OP could be peeved about this. We roll with the flow. We tried two times to see the ice show only to find we were too late, despite having arrived 15 minutes early. We found other things to do instead. On the third show, we got there half an hour early armed with Kindles to amuse ourselves and all was good. There's a reason there are multiple showings and if anyone missed out on a show it was surely their choice.

As for dining, same thing. Everyone wants to eat at the same time so of course there are lines. It's much more sensible to think a little outside the box and eat either on the earlier or later side. We've been very pleased with the service from the dining staff. We have two young children at our table and our two waiters have been treating them like little princes and princesses. It's been delightful.

Boston and Bar Harbor did present some challenges getting on and off the ship but that was because of the tides...and everyone wanting to do the same thing at the same time. We sized up the Bar Harbor tendering process and played a few rounds of mini golf rather than make ourselves miserable waiting in the stairwells with hundreds of other people. So what if we got into Bar Harbor later than we planned. Small peanuts in the scheme of things.

All in all we've had a fantastic week. The crew is just lovely and they're very attentive to guests. We have a deck 7 aft cabin and at the start of the cruise I could hear music wafting in from somewhere while sitting on our balcony. At first it was charming to listen to but by the fourth day I thought my ears would explode if I had to hear "Moon River" one more time. It was so intrusive. I called down to Guest Services and they sent someone down to our cabin straight away to listen to the balcony music. The problem was quickly corrected and now all we hear on our balcony is the beautiful sound of breaking waves. Well done, Liberty!

It could also mean that the pool deck is underutilized. If the weather is bad, or the demographic is such that the pool deck is not being used much, I've seen many inside areas packed. All chairs and tables in Cafe Promenade occupied all day long. Over 100 people at triva. Etc.

New England weather has been very nice lately. There has been no rain and the temperature is much more like summer than fall.

We are just turned 60 veterans of a number of sailings from NY/NJ including a 9 day Canada on EOS a couple of Octobers ago and a CCL sailing several years earlier. I can tell you from those experiences that the demographics of Canadian cruises skew much older than Caribbean ones. Not even close. On EOS we were among the youngest folks on the ship, nary a child in sight. Our group on that sailing included our friends 90 year old parents, and they fit right in. Have never seen so many scooters, wheelchairs and walkers.

OP may have exaggerated certain points, however a cruise with primarily older passengers does feel very different.

Elevators - Seniors have difficulty with stairs, so they take elevators up or down even for one floor. They are of an era where one dressed nicely for dinner, which for women usually means heels. Nice for tradition, but bad for stairs. Scooters, and again there were many, take up a lot space in elevators causing them to fill quickly. The rear elevators were much worse than the front ones. Each night as we left the dl on deck 14 we had long elevator waits as the ones coming up from below were already full. People rode them up and then back down again. It was never a 45 minute wait, but around 6pm 20 minutes was not uncommon.

Dining room - The seniors in our group, and apparently many others don't care for buffets. They wanted to sit down, order off a menu and be served. So they ate all their meals in the mdr. With the cool northern weather there weren't many sun worshipers, so on sea days everyone was hungry for lunch at 12 noon and mdr quickly got very crowded. Since only one level of the dining room is open for breakfast and lunch I understand op's comments about overcrowding. Not sure why the early closure though.

Shows - On many cruises we go back to our room after dinner and change before the show, which was not always well attended. Not here. Every night all the seniors went right from dinner to the theater where they waited an hour or more for the show to begin. Maybe going straight to the theater was easier than waiting for an elevator. If we didn't follow right along we didn't get a good seat.

Going ashore - We didn't have to tender at our Canadian stops, but certainly appreciate the difficulties of tendering folks with limited mobility. I remember one of the Canadian ports (St John or Halifax) has a gangway that rises at a better than 30 degree incline. It took two crewman to roll each wheelchair up and even scooters had problems.

I am not attempting to ridicule seniors here, just to suggest possible causes of op's issues. Dw's 97 year old mom has sailed with us numerous times and loves it. For whatever reason though Canadian cruises seem to attract a disproportionate number of the very elderly, and when you fill an entire ship with them everything really slows down. You can't compare that onboard experience to a Caribbean cruise.

This makes sense. :)

I'm on Liberty right now eating my lunch in my cabin (because that's how I prefer it), and I don't find the food, the service, the crowds, the staff service, to be any different than any other Royal C cruise. My cabin mini-fridge should be called a 'cooler', LOL, because nothing is remotely cold in it. It was checked and deemed to be working fine :rolleyes: My sink was plugged up and that got resolved toute suite! The steward must have said something, because I didn't.

There was a huge issue with gangways in Portland?, or was it Boston? There was only one to use to get back on to the ship. The line was horrendous and thank goodness I was already on the ship. It was the tide causing the problem so there wasn't much that the ship staff could do. There were 3 gangways in St. John, LOL. I noticed today, in Halifax, that the scooter and wheelchair folks are using a separate gangway. That makes things go a lot faster for the able-bodied.

What I like best of all is that being a Bell subscriber, my cellular iPad picks up Bell service here in the Canadian ports and I don't have to pay for Royal's expensive wifi service. Whoohoo!

I'm enjoying the cruise and finding everything to be acceptable. Certainly the staff is very pleasant and eager to make our cruise a good one. Lots of smiles and 'hellos' from them all. I've enjoyed my cruise and will be sad to leave, but upon arriving home, I'll have just 10 days to prepare to embark Jewel in Vancouver for the Panama Canal odyssey of cruises!!! Sorry for bragging :D

Sorry you're not enjoying your cruise as much as I am, hazlenjboy, but it is what one makes it to be. Enjoy what you can and make the most out of the rest.

:D

Hi Joyce.

You have mail;)

The guest service manager explained it to me that of the 3800 or so onboard about 60% are over the age of 65 and nearly half had some sort of special needs. All opinions are welcome but that's a decidedly different "activity level" than the cruising demographics of a Caribbean itinerary. It tends to gum up the works because of slower movement. That being said the officers were pretty candid that was a large root cause and EOS crews had the benefit of experience with this itinerary which this crew doesn't. The ship itself is great and all are having a good time it's just resulting in some unchartered territory onboard.

First, didn't it occur to you that an older clientele would be going up north, and second, no offense to anyone with children, but I would prefer 60% over 65 rather than 60% under the age of 18.

We were on the Liberty in the Spring, had absolutely no problem with staff or food, or for that matter elevators either, that being the reason we wanted to sail on her again.

When I first started reading, having sailed New England itinerary, logistics, major tide issues, bigger ships, more passengers, and there might be some lines and waiting.

It is a vacation, a cruise, you are not starving or out in the cold, no problem. If you can't relax, enjoy, be patient with fellow mankind, seem to be expecting the moon and stars, just my thought but doesn't seem to be a cruise line problem.

Years ago I sailed on a cruise where there were a dozen of us under 50, and of my 20+ cruises, ranks up there in the very top. I learned a great deal that cruise about the older generation, which now in my late 60s I'm approaching.

I never understand over expectations, impatience, and me first mentality. I don't get it.