Help me decide for Alaska!

cruisingsince94

We are looking at cruising to Alaska from Seattle next year in either June or August. We have narrowed the list to either doing Explorer of the Seas or Celebrity Solstice.

We have been on Explorer but not Solstice. We would appreciate any information on Solstice from those who recently have been onboard.

How is the food in the MDR? Is the ship well maintained? How are the balcony cabins? I appreciate any information you are willing to provide.

We are looking at cruising to Alaska from Seattle next year in either June or August. We have narrowed the list to either doing Explorer of the Seas or Celebrity Solstice.

We have been on Explorer but not Solstice. We would appreciate any information on Solstice from those who recently have been onboard.

How is the food in the MDR? Is the ship well maintained? How are the balcony cabins? I appreciate any information you are willing to provide.

The ship is the least important factor to consider when considering an AK trip. The important factors are itinerary, time in port,, port arrival time, port departure time, what port the ship the ship departs from. Once you look at those factors, then think about the ship.

DON

Have been on the Solstice twice, once to Alaska last year. The ship is beautiful, service and food are excellent. We had a wonderful naturalist on board who added a lot to the experience.

We have 2 more cruises booked on the Solstice. So obviously we like the ship😀

I disagree Don.....the ship...TO ME is very important....you can have a great day ruined coming back to bad service, bad food or any number of things if the shipboard side is not right...It's all part of the experiance

The ship is the least important factor to consider when considering an AK trip. The important factors are itinerary, time in port,, port arrival time, port departure time, what port the ship the ship departs from. Once you look at those factors, then think about the ship.

DON

We have also sailed on both ships, Explorer several times. Both are wonderful, with good food and good crew. I agree with those who like to consider the ship; to us, it is important. Solstice has a nice outdoor aft eating area in the buffet, perfect if it's not too cold to sit outside. As well, the Hot Glass blowing shows are phenomenal (included in your cruise fare). There is a lawn area on Solstice where we had a nice wine and cheese sail away party one port (I forget, but it was spectacular scenery).

I don't think you can go wrong with either ship. :) Sorry that doesn't help you. :p

Sailed on 2 Voyager class ships (Adventure & Mariner which are identical to the Explorer) and thrice on a Celebrity S class ship (Silhouette, which is 99% same as the Solstice)

Both ships are amazing. Explorer has the royal promenade which is much better than the S class ship's promenade. But the S class ships (Solstice) have this amazing contemporary design which makes the ship look newer and sharper. The food on Celebrity is much better than Royal. The Mast Grill on Celebrity (Burgers, hot dogs, etc) is fantastic. Service is nearly the same, as is the relaxed friendly atmosphere.

We are also planning an Alaskan cruise in the next few years, and our choice would pretty much come down to these 2 ships only. If dates and costs are the same, I'd probably go with the Solstice (although I absolutely love RCCL). The balcony rooms are absolutely wonderful. If you'd like to see pictures of an S class ship, you can go through my detailed review in my signature below.

I vote June for dryer Alaskan weather, but August for wildlife and storm chasers.

Ideally July is my fav time to go... perhaps late July going into August???

Edited by xlxo

We did the Solstice last year and one of the highlights for our trip was Brent Nixon, the naturalist on board and his wife. They put on presentations every day and while sailing up to Sawyer glacier in the Fjord he gave a running commentary of the sights on each side.

This would be a no brainer for me....Solstice, for sure. I just sailed on the Allure and was very disappointed that there were so few places to actually see the sea, other than our balcony. I'm sorry, but the Royal Promenade is just a mall atmosphere. If the Explorer is anything like this I don't know why it is in Alaska, since everything there is about seeing the scenery. I have sailed with RCL a dozen times, so I am definitely not bashing them. I just don't understand their choice of this ship for this itinerary.

We sailed the Solstice to Alaska two years ago and it was fantastic. We went early June and it was hot, hot, HOT!!!! Thank goodness it was our 3rd time to Alaska so I do know there is other kinds of weather there.

Edited by emilygrace

DON

Thank you for your comments. Yes, there are numerous factors to consider and those you brought up are some of them. However, for us the ship is also very important. With most any cruise your going to be onboard more than your off so to us it's also a vital decision.

Agree that itinerary is key. But since you asked about the Solstice, I will say that I think she's a great ship. Food and service are lovely, balconies are great. I'm boarding her next week in Seattle for Alaska, and can't wait!

Thanks for your input. We love the itinerary. The ship itself is important to us as well considering your onboard more than your off. We loved our Celebrity experience on Constellation so we are leaning Solstice.

Have been on the Solstice twice, once to Alaska last year. The ship is beautiful, service and food are excellent. We had a wonderful naturalist on board who added a lot to the experience.

We have 2 more cruises booked on the Solstice. So obviously we like the ship😀

I have been reading a lot of great comments about the naturalist recently on Solstice. It has helped put another mark in the Solstice column.

I disagree Don.....the ship...TO ME is very important....you can have a great day ruined coming back to bad service, bad food or any number of things if the shipboard side is not right...It's all part of the experiance

I have to agree with this. It's a very important part of the experience as it can indeed ruin the day or even a cruise. More time is spent onboard then in the ports so it's an important factor in deciding which ship.

We have also sailed on both ships, Explorer several times. Both are wonderful, with good food and good crew. I agree with those who like to consider the ship; to us, it is important. Solstice has a nice outdoor aft eating area in the buffet, perfect if it's not too cold to sit outside. As well, the Hot Glass blowing shows are phenomenal (included in your cruise fare). There is a lawn area on Solstice where we had a nice wine and cheese sail away party one port (I forget, but it was spectacular scenery).

I don't think you can go wrong with either ship. :) Sorry that doesn't help you. :p

Thanks for the response. We value the ship as well. We enjoyed Explorer and I know she was updated recently. Even so, for Alaska and with what Solstice has to offer, we are definitely leaning more toward Solstice.

Sailed on 2 Voyager class ships (Adventure & Mariner which are identical to the Explorer) and thrice on a Celebrity S class ship (Silhouette, which is 99% same as the Solstice)

Both ships are amazing. Explorer has the royal promenade which is much better than the S class ship's promenade. But the S class ships (Solstice) have this amazing contemporary design which makes the ship look newer and sharper. The food on Celebrity is much better than Royal. The Mast Grill on Celebrity (Burgers, hot dogs, etc) is fantastic. Service is nearly the same, as is the relaxed friendly atmosphere.

We are also planning an Alaskan cruise in the next few years, and our choice would pretty much come down to these 2 ships only. If dates and costs are the same, I'd probably go with the Solstice (although I absolutely love RCCL). The balcony rooms are absolutely wonderful. If you'd like to see pictures of an S class ship, you can go through my detailed review in my signature below.

Thanks for your honest opinion and comparison. Explorer will be slightly cheaper but much better perks with Solstice that offsets the price difference. Leaning Solstice. Will check out the photos! Thanks.

We did the Solstice last year and one of the highlights for our trip was Brent Nixon, the naturalist on board and his wife. They put on presentations every day and while sailing up to Sawyer glacier in the Fjord he gave a running commentary of the sights on each side.

Having never been to Alaska we would certainly enjoy that.

This would be a no brainer for me....Solstice, for sure. I just sailed on the Allure and was very disappointed that there were so few places to actually see the sea, other than our balcony. I'm sorry, but the Royal Promenade is just a mall atmosphere. If the Explorer is anything like this I don't know why it is in Alaska, since everything there is about seeing the scenery. I have sailed with RCL a dozen times, so I am definitely not bashing them. I just don't understand their choice of this ship for this itinerary.

We sailed the Solstice to Alaska two years ago and it was fantastic. We went early June and it was hot, hot, HOT!!!! Thank goodness it was our 3rd time to Alaska so I do know there is other kinds of weather there.

Very good point. Yes, Explorer has the Royal Promenade on this ship and it does have that mall type feel. I think Explorer replaced Jewel out of Seattle. View is a factor so another point for Solstice.

What good is good service if the ship arrives in a port at 7:00 AM when nothing is open and all aboard is 12:30 for a 1 PM departure. Or what about the other arrival - arrival at 1:00pm or 2:00 PM and departure at 11:00PM. What if the ship stops at ports that you are not interested in.

Certainly the ship itself is important but you go to AK for the scenery or at least most of us do.

DON

I like Voyager class ships very much but Solstice class ships more. Food is very subjective but have enjoyed my X food experiences more than Royal's.

We weighed the exact same decision you're considering and chose Solstice.

We have enjoyed the food on both lines so the decision came down to itinerary, ship, and pricing. In the end, Solstice won out and we made the booking last night! Very excited to start the countdown for Alaska.

What good is good service if the ship arrives in a port at 7:00 AM when nothing is open and all aboard is 12:30 for a 1 PM departure. Or what about the other arrival - arrival at 1:00pm or 2:00 PM and departure at 11:00PM. What if the ship stops at ports that you are not interested in.

Certainly the ship itself is important but you go to AK for the scenery or at least most of us do.

DON

Is that the Royal itinerary because it is certainly not the Solstice itinerary.

We just returned a few weeks ago from an August Alaskan cruise on the Solstice. Wonderful! Brent Nixon, the Naturalist, is terrific, food good to excellent, service wonderful, ship and cabin were ideal. We have cruised 11 times with 2 on Royal, the rest on Celebrity. Solstice is our favorite ship design.

August is nice if you want to see bears and salmon, which we did. Weather was rainy in 2 out of 3 ports and cool. Also enjoyed a beautiful sunny warm evening in Victoria at the Gardens, which is a plus to sail on Solstice.

Good luck with your choice! You will love Alaska!