What's so great about towel animals?

Cruisegoer

I will be going on my first cruise next month, and I am very much looking forward to seeing them! I think they are adorable and a nice touch.

However, what I don't understand is why people save them over the week. Like the picture someone posted with 19 or so of them. Think about all the extra laundry that the crew is then bombarded with at the end of the cruise because people have hoarded all these towels in their cabin during the week. Even though they haven't been used that we know of, they still technically have to be washed before giving them to someone else.

Edited by bakersdozen12

Oh...so you're the Facebook poster. Fortunately for the rest of us, the appeal is widespread. You could tell your steward to skip the towel animals in your room. Easy peasy.

Ha ha! I just saw your post after I posted too. It's nice to know John Heald keeps up with Facebook and cruise critic :)

You must be unaware of the origins. It used to be included in evening turn down service, where they would seek find and lay out your night clothes. Some stewards got creative, and started doing all kinds of cutsie things with them, or even further using other things in the cabin.

Yes, I remember returning to the cabin and finding my nightgown pleated and displayed on the bed.

LOL - I started bringing my better nightgowns on the cruises because I knew the steward would find it to display no matter where I stashed it for the day.

Towel animals are cute for about 10 seconds before I dismantle them. I do appreciated having the extra towels for use.

I love the animals, can't wait to come back after dinner and the show to see what we got. I try and save them for the week. We take a picture with the Fun Time so we have a date but if someone else doesn't like this sort of thing then I'm sure the room steward appreciates being told he can skip that .

My husband and I cruise and we don't have kids, and we love them! It's fun! It's something that you don't get anywhere else other than on a cruise, maybe Disney? I don't know we don't travel there. But we do love getting them and guessing what they are.

A couple prior posts mentioned that this was toward the newer cruiser and that may be so. However, I have been cruising since 1962 and my Mom prior to that. She loved the towel animals right up to her last cruise at the age of 87 before she passed away this year. Some people just carry that inner child in them. It is not wrong either way whether you like them or not. Everyone has the right to their preferences.

I am having a memorial service at sea for Mom in which we are going to have a burial at sea with her ashes in a biodegradable urn disbursed into the sea. Guess What? I am having a couple towel animals along with my family be at the service surrounding her urn on the adornment table. This will give all of us some levity with the somberness of bag pipers playing in the background. I know my Mom will be smiling down on us.

PortSideCruzan,

I'm very jealous that you had the opportunity to put on Ellie The Elephant's costume! Now that's a photo op!

Thank you for sharing that with us, along with a few other pic's as well. Very nice!

Hi :)

I never destroy any of our towel animals during a sailing.

My wife & I are in our early 50's and we love them!!

:)

PicsArt_1441363612579_zpsbhvzpy8u.jpg

couch_zps970da6e0.jpg

tachoc_zps0776b1aa.jpg

During one of our B2B voyages, our special crew friends allowed me to put on the elephant towel animal outfit. Hahaha! It was a lil' hot in there.... Good times!! Terrific memories!!

towelerlephant_zps546d0013.jpg

Edited by ObstructedView2

You must be unaware of the origins. It used to be included in evening turn down service, where they would seek find and lay out your night clothes. Some stewards got creative, and started doing all kinds of cutsie things with them, or even further using other things in the cabin.

Apparently when the common folk started cruising, this butler type service startled some, as they were not used to having a butler. (Years ago, people actually bought their butlers with them on their cruise ...... Cruising truly was a class privilege). So suddenly, the night clothes stayed stowed, and the creations were done on towels. This just completely diminished the feel of service, and turned it into a joke. Yet thrilled the new class of cruiser.

Ohhhh girl (or boy), this post made me chuckle. So shady and delicious! I have been cruising since I was 12 before cruising was an "everyman" sport so I know exactly what you're talking about BUT I would never say it outloud. Hopefully one day I'll get to sit next to you however and we can really talk!

I love the animals, can't wait to come back after dinner and the show to see what we got. I try and save them for the week. We take a picture with the Fun Time so we have a date but if someone else doesn't like this sort of thing then I'm sure the room steward appreciates being told he can skip that .

We're the same way about our animals. :D

The best animal ever ,,,, on the Carnival cruise to Belize DH caught a bad respiratory mess. He spent the better part of 4 days in the cabin or on the balcony. To cheer him up our Steward made a full size alligator from navy blue beach towels. It was amazing :D

So you're the one John Heald posted about on Facebook today! I think they're fun, and adds a special touch to make the cruise even more special

Sorry folks I'm not quite sure what you're referring to. I understand John Heald was once a cruise director or something but he's not the Pope and I don't follow him regularly so I have no clue what he posted or how this post relates to it.

If you could provide a link to whatever you're talking about however I'd be happy to read it.

My wife and I love them too. We keep all of them for the duration of the cruise. We put sun glasses on them, give them wine glasses, and other props. We generally just have a good time with them. I think things like enjoying towel animals requires that one is still in touch with their inner child. We both very much are, and that's one of the reasons we have such a blast when cruising. We are fortunate in that I suppose. The animals are such an integral part of our cruise experience. It definitely wouldn't be the same without them.

My inner child and my adult brain love the towel animals. They make me smile and yes we keep them all week too. Sorry if it creates a few more towels to wash.

I went to the class on how to make them and got the book. It was so much fun making my own elephant.

Whether one is into towel animals, or not, I can't imagine anyone being bothered by them enough to instantly tear them apart. That's a little scary.

I don't attack the towel animal I simply move it and if it happens to fall out of shape in my hands then it goes in the bathroom to be put to use AS A TOWEL.

b8994019ba4980d05343e1a636d817c3.jpg

Here is the post this morning. If it wasn't you, then you timed it really well!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like my post but wasn't addressed to Pope Heald nor am I named Noreen (or the other name mentioned in his response).

Apparently when the common folk started cruising, this butler type service startled some, as they were not used to having a butler. (Years ago, people actually bought their butlers with them on their cruise ...... Cruising truly was a class privilege). So suddenly, the night clothes stayed stowed, and the creations were done on towels. This just completely diminished the feel of service, and turned it into a joke. Yet thrilled the new class of cruiser.

Our first cruise was on the Chandris Fantasy, Britannis, (Chandris was a precursor of Celebrity, thus the big X on the stacks). This was in 1990. I took several "silky" nightgowns and folded one under my pillow each morning. The room steward found it each day and did some amazing pleats and folds to make pretty arrangements. The next cruise was several years later and the towel animals had replaced it, probably because some passengers didn't like them handling their personal clothing.

I like everything on a cruise that I don't get at home - someone to clean & straighten my room each day, someone who cooks and serves my wonderful food, and cleans it afterwords, someone who entertains me, etc. Yes, and the towel animals and chocolates on my pillow. There is more, but you get the idea.

We loved them on our first cruise. I can see the appeal for kids and new cruisers, but I would be okay with not getting them now in our cabin. I've seen some really clever pictures of towel "animals" though that I would have enjoyed finding in our cabin. I guess some stewards are more creative or at least have more of a sense of humor than others.

I'm with you. I always tell my room steward not to bother. He has much more important things to do. IMHO.

Depends on how you look at it. It's part of the Carnival experience, which is presumably important. Getting rid of them isn't something that would make me not sail Carnival again, but companies do things like this all the time to maintain customer loyalty. Like housekeeping folding the ends of the toilet paper into little triangles at hotels, wrapping purchases in tissue paper before going into the bag, folding napkins at a restaurant, putting up holiday decorations, etc. It's all the same kind of thing. I'd say all these employees have "much more important things to do" but it's this kind of stuff that give businesses an edge in a customers mind, even on a subconscious level.