Shuttle Buses at Yorkney's Knob

Will be on a Princess Cruise up to Port Douglas and have a stop at Yorkney's Knob. Notice we will be tendered ashore. Does anyone know if shuttle buses are provided to take cruisers into Cairns? Thanks

I think this is a shore excursion. You can go by public bus, but of course this is very slow as it keeps stopping. :)

Will be on a Princess Cruise up to Port Douglas and have a stop at Yorkney's Knob. Notice we will be tendered ashore. Does anyone know if shuttle buses are provided to take cruisers into Cairns? Thanks

WE were there earlier in the year on the Celebrity Solstice. All the buses were contracted to the shipping line which charged $US15 per person return. It was a rort but one had no other option apart from walking.

We were at Yorkeys Knob a few years ago on Pacific Princess. If one did not do a shorex there were shuttles available for a ride into Cairns, as per usual Princess charged.

From memory we did a Princess shorex: Cairns/Atherton Tablelands/Kuranda.

There were quite a few cabs available. Also the Yacht Club at Yorkeys is a good place to wait with a cool drink, to avoid the lengthy tender lines in the afternoon.

As Uncle Les always says...Above all, enjoy !

Edited by NSWP

I believe we pay the private operator directly.

Will know on Thursday when we arrive in Yorkeys Knob.on the Spirit.

when we were there years ago on a princess cruise we paid the bus driver directly

How far from the tender drop off place to somewhere on the public bus to go anywhere? not necessarily into cairns been there a few times recently but never to yorkeys knob. Have taken the public bus to palm cove where we had a swim and lunch, very nice change from the city of cairns, however for anyone who hasnt been to cairns its a lovely place to visit, trip to Kuranda and the lagoon area.

I have just returned from the Sun Princess cruise which called in to Yorkey's Knob last week. The locals put on shuttle buses to take you in to Cairns. The cost is $15 return. They take you from the Marina where the tender boat lands and drop you in Cairns on the Esplanade near the lagoon. The shuttles then run regularly back to the Marina at Yorkey's Knob.

I have just returned from the Sun Princess cruise which called in to Yorkey's Knob last week. The locals put on shuttle buses to take you in to Cairns. The cost is $15 return. They take you from the Marina where the tender boat lands and drop you in Cairns on the Esplanade near the lagoon. The shuttles then run regularly back to the Marina at Yorkey's Knob.

Thanks for that info. I'm assuming you went to Airlie Beach and Port Douglas as well. Were any shuttle buses required here or are you pretty well in town when the tender docks.

Thanks for that info. I'm assuming you went to Airlie Beach and Port Douglas as well. Were any shuttle buses required here or are you pretty well in town when the tender docks.

At Port Douglas the tenders dock at the marina, about 3 blocks from Macrossan St which is the main shopping street. It's another 3-4 blocks from there to 4 mile beach. Mostly flat walking, just a slight rise on the last block up to Macrossan St.

When you get off the tender go into the marina complex and turn right. Go right to the end (where the toilets are) and exit the building into the car park. If you go straight towards the road at that point, cross over and head up the side street (across the stream) you will end up in Macrossan St unless you get sidetracked into a cafe on the way, or Splish Splash which is my favourite swimwear shop.

There were shuttle buses at both places. However, both Airline Beach and Port Douglas are within walking distance from the Marina to the town centres. I walked in both places, but from memory, I think the shuttle buses were about $5 per person (not a 100% sure though).

Thank you, is there much to do at yorkeys knob if we dont want to go into Cairns? happy for a wander up and down the street, sit with an ice cream and look at the water. Is it similar to palm cove?

Sorry I can't answer your question accurately as I went into Cairns for the day. There is a nice sandy beach there. I don't think there were any Resorts as there are at Palm Cove. It's quite small, but nice and flat so would be easy to walk around.

Thanks, we might just see on the day.

Look at it using Google maps, and you can use street view to "walk" around the streets. There doesn't seem to be much there apart from the marina and some low apartment buildings on the esplanade.

Look at it using Google maps, and you can use street view to "walk" around the streets. There doesn't seem to be much there apart from the marina and some low apartment buildings on the esplanade.

We took a wander around Yorkeys while waiting for the tender and you are quite right. There is nothing there. The houses are tucked away behind lush tropical growth and I think we saw one shop. The Marina has a busy day as passengers keep the bar and the bistro busy. I could not believe the size of the portions they were serving in the Bistro , but thats what they seemed to expect.

You are best taking the shuttle into Cairns. You can then wander around the boardwalk , lagoon and CBD at your leisure . The shutttle runs all day , so you can head back when you are ready.

Check on the time for the last bus and get an earlier one back as most folk wait for the last one and it gets packed out.:D

Hi Folks

There are two small shopping complexes in Varley Street

But it's a good walk from the marina complex

The shuttle into Cairns seems to me to be reasonable at $15-00 considering the distance

Regards

john

Has anyone done the Kuranda train and skyrail from Yorkey's Knob? I am looking for a private tour with transfers.

We did it back in 2012. The girls at the desk in the yacht club called the Skyrail and booked it direct for us including a shuttle bus and from memory we paid once we got to the Skyrail terminal. We were in the queue for the cable car directly behind those on the ship's excursion.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk