So confused about Hurtigruten

linderbelle

I know on the persuading and it's the facts I'm looking at and so grateful for all of your responses. I just emailed agent asking for a price if he handles Hurtigruten. My negatives on Hurtigruten regarding bed and our backs ok was very helpful. The time in ports I have looked at schedule again for the 50th time and see that I would get in what I want to see. I get to see all of Norway--Lofoten Islands and Tromso bridges. The positives far exceed the negatives. Also, our 43rd anniversary is next August so I can have the date where I will be in Norway--what a memory that will be.

Linda

We have decided to stick with Holland America. This was a very hard decision. I know no matter what cruise line you go on how can you not have fun and there is beauty everywhere you look. I so appreciate all of you that responded.

Linda

As you will see, Norway is beautiful, no matter how you travel there. You might even decide to go back again. I know one trip was not enough for me, and I'm not even Norwegian :-)

Have a wonderful trip...

I always read the find print. Did you?

"We’re so confident that the Northern Lights will make an appearance during your Hurtigruten Norway Voyage, that if they don’t, we’ll give you a voyage FREE OF CHARGE*."

"Northern Lights Occurrence is defined as a sighting from the ship which is recorded by the ship’s deck officers and which is announced to passengers on board. An occurrence can last anywhere from a few minutes to a matter of hours, and the ships decision as to whether the Northern Lights occurred is final."

DON

The terms of the guarantee were referenced by SarniaLo on 4 September in post #6, and again by myself on 6 September... but linderbelle has chosen to sail with HAL so it's fairly academic now.

Edited by digitl

Thanks for asking linderbelle! I have been following along as you went through this discussion and in the process found the answers to many of my own questions. Except one. If you are at one of the quick-stop ports, will you know the timing? I.e., if I get off to wander over to the main square for photos, will I know ahead what the departure time is? Will they wait for two minutes if they see me running down the pier?

And in addition, the departure time is always announced when the ship docks ("Ladies and Gentlemen, we are now calling in Hammerfest, departure time is 12.45") and it should also be written on a board near the disembarking spot, so you can't miss it.

It is hugely advised to be on time as the ship might not wait for you (I've seen it happen). Think of it as a train, when the door are supposed to close, they will close.

• 4 weeks later...

I just returned a week ago and think it would be a great solo trip. Also, they mean business with their port departure times, my cousin and I had to run for our lives at one stop, she got there just as they were going to pull up the gangway and thank goodness took her time going up so I could make it. We're too old to think that was fun in any way and the staff were obviously not happy with us but they did not say anything.

I have been looking at Hurtigruten for a voyage in December... Do you think that this will be an ok trip for a single female???

See my post above about my trip this last May. I went by myself, and had a great time. Easy to meet people on board to talk to when you want to, and also to get alone time when you want to.

Why not do both! Hurtigruten isn't going anywhere... Do your HAL, and if you enjoyed it, why not go back in the cold weather for the lights! I'm doing the opposite. Going on hurtigruten early March, and if I like it, I'll book a summer cruise on either a mainstream or hurtigruten again. From all I've read, it's very different going at different times of the year. If I go on HAL, I'd probably do the prinsendam.... As its smaller...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bobbisailsolo

I did the Bergen round trip last December with a friend. We flew into Oslo and took the train the next day. We loved the trip, although those 20 hour long nights were a little difficult! We were 2 of only 4 Americans on the Trollfjord. Largest contingent was from Germany, and we hung out with some Australians. We only took one tour, and enjoyed ourselves just walking around the numerous ports. At the end we stayed overnight in Bergen, flew to Amsterdam the next day, and then took a Rhine River cruise. It was a fantastic December! Norway was so gorgeous...so in July I'm going on the Holland America Voyage of the Vikings, which spends some time along the Norwegian coast. For those asking, we thought the food was great. No pastries at breakfast was the only thing lacking...well, maybe having to pay for water at dinner was. But then,, there is no charge for Internet access and no tipping...although we certainly added to the jar in the dining room. It was a great trip and I'd love to do it again in the summer.

Edited by Barrheadlass

Thanks for the feedback on your December trip. I'm doing Bergen round trip the first week it March. Going solo, so hopefully there will be some English speakers on board. Can you advise about what to pack? How cold you found it? What you wish you packed and what you didn't need? I'm having a hard time deciding just how warm I need to dress. Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback on your December trip. I'm doing Bergen round trip the first week it March. Going solo, so hopefully there will be some English speakers on board. Can you advise about what to pack? How cold you found it? What you wish you packed and what you didn't need? I'm having a hard time deciding just how warm I need to dress. Thanks!

I bought a waterproof longish down coat on sale from Lands End and wore it daily. It was cold but I was always comfortable. I also bought low hiking shoes that are waterproof and always wore smart wool socks. Also went to REI and bought thingies to attach to my shoes for walking on ice. I didn't always need them but they were very handy when needed! I wear a lot of fleece shirts, some flannel, a couple of wool sweaters. Ship was always very comfortable. As I mentioned there were only four Americans. You will be seated with other Americans. We met an Australian couple who eventually came and shared meals with us at dinner, which is assigned seating. Lunch and breakfast are buffet and you sit where you want. I also travel solo sometimes. This is one trip where people really stuck together...it was primarily Germans and we had exactly one conversation with a really nice German couple. I would think traveling when you are there will be more English speaking folks! This trip is a gorgeous one and I'm sure you'll have fun. Have a great time. Btw, I'm traveling to Bhutan and Nepal solo in February for over 3 weeks. Do let me know if you have more questions! Oh, meant to say you should check weather for the various ports before you go. I'd think it may be not a whole lot warmer when you are there than in December but I'm not sure.

Edited by Barrheadlass

I bought a waterproof longish down coat on sale from Lands End and wore it daily. It was cold but I was always comfortable. I also bought low hiking shoes that are waterproof and always wore smart wool socks. Also went to REI and bought thingies to attach to my shoes for walking on ice. I didn't always need them but they were very handy when needed! I wear a lot of fleece shirts, some flannel, a couple of wool sweaters. Ship was always very comfortable. As I mentioned there were only four Americans. You will be seated with other Americans. We met an Australian couple who eventually came and shared meals with us at dinner, which is assigned seating. Lunch and breakfast are buffet and you sit where you want. I also travel solo sometimes. This is one trip where people really stuck together...it was primarily Germans and we had exactly one conversation with a really nice German couple. I would think traveling when you are there will be more English speaking folks! This trip is a gorgeous one and I'm sure you'll have fun. Have a great time. Btw, I'm traveling to Bhutan and Nepal solo in February for over 3 weeks. Do let me know if you have more questions! Oh, meant to say you should check weather for the various ports before you go. I'd think it may be not a whole lot warmer when you are there than in December but I'm not sure.

Thanks! Looks like I'll have just the right stuff. I'm just deciding on which boots to take now. Probably my water proof hikers for everyday in doors, and a pair of sorels if I'll be walking outdoors in the snow or ice. I bought some snow pants to... For the nights on deck... I can always use them at home when I shovel snow or walk my dogs..

So true.... Lol. Not sure many Norwegians do these cruises?

Hurtigruten is their coastal transport. They're getting on and off constantly.

Many other nationalities are on board and many (most?) have excellent English.

So true.... Lol. Not sure many Norwegians do these cruises?

I have met on board MS Lofoten 2 Norwegian friends (men) in their late 60s who do one trip every spring and one every autumn for several years (they were on their 36th trip or something). It may be specific to MS Lofoten which is a very much liked ship, but yes, Norwegians do this cruise, and of course as digitl say they use it for port-to-port transport so you will always have new people to meet!

This website confuses me.. I love travelling and I ALWAYS book my own travel.... but it seems I have many questions about these ships and the trips. Could someone please help?

Why do the superior cabins list private facilities? Does that mean if I book anything below that I share bathrooms etc?

Can I arrange transfers, hotels etc. through the website?

Thanks in advance!