PRIDE 8/28-9/18/05: 18 day London/NYC

aaannnthony

• 2 weeks later...

I had to cancel my booking for the 3 day cruise on the NY waterways. My assistant is pregnant and is due to give birth three weeks before the cruise. Since she is taking a three month maternity leave, there will be no one left to watch the office if I am away.

Anyone who needs a cabin (a french balcony one) hurry up to your TA and grab it. I was so looking forward to my second cruise on Seabourn, but as the saying goes, there is always next year

• 4 weeks later...

So, Martita, now that you've announced that you'll not be sailing the full 21 day sailing from London to NY, including the three day NY Waterways, but, only the three day New Yorker, who's the designated "party leader" for the first 18 days, the combo British Isles/crossing?

Anthony~~~welllllll, suppose the Cruise Director or the Assn.'s could "fill in" for me this one time????

I'm disappointed, but my Brother's only son is marrying a girl from Milan.....

the wedding will be in a Cathedral in Milan, then that evening a foraml dinner is

being held on Lake Como......Belligio. We have few in our family so I must attend......I actually don't relish going, but......

'Ya know, come to think of it.......YOU TAKE MY PLACE!!! hahahaha

Martita

• 4 weeks later...
... the easiest transfer from Gatwick to the pier ... Thanks!

What time does your flight get into Gatwick. There are no facilities at the pier except perhaps to leave your bags until you can board the ship which will probably be after 1pm.

You could arrange for a minicab to pick you up at the airport and that will cost I guess about £40 to £50. Gatwick is quite a way out of London. An alternative is to take the Gatwick Express train to Victoria Station and pick up a regular cab there. But as well as the train fare,the taxi will probably still be about £15 to 20. Have Seabourn made any suggestions? I would be happy to organise a minicab for you if it helps. Email me direct and I could get onto a couple of minicab companies to enquire prices. I would need your flight details to do so. I don't think they take credit cards though so you would need to have UK£ ready to pay.

Regards

Norm

When I get into Gatwick, the cab (not pre-ordered, just the next one in line) is 80 BP without a tip. I do it all the time. If the hotel arranges a car for me on the return, it's 120 BP. (But then I get a Jag<G>) That's what it was the other month. If it's from LHR on a week day, it's about 55 BP. My hotel is in St James.

My TA finds that usually the Seabourn arrangements are pricier than independent ones. For example, in Nice, I paid 1/2 of the cost of the transfer from the airport to the hotel. Of course, in London, good transport is readily available.

Jane

Here are the SEABOURN transfer costs from the airports to the ship for a party of two by limo....Heathrow, US$ 170 and Gatwick, US$310.

Our flight arrives at 10AM.

I guess we'll do the "next cab in line" routine. Thanks again.

You shouldn't have any problem. Now, remember, the cabs aren't metered for these trips; in fact, they aren't the 'black cabs' which I think one can get at the North terminal. If you get to the other terminal and get a metered cab, it might be less. Anyway, the dispatcher will tell you what the fee is and since it's on Sunday, you don't' have to pay that extra 'traffic congestion' fee.

There is a pub close to the Tower and I bet you could wait there if you are too early. Also, a church to visit, I think it's called 'All Hallows on the Hill' and no matter what the name, it's where our second President, John Adams was baptized or married....

Jane

Spoken to the minicab company I sometimes use and they quoted about £62 for an estate car (that's one with extra space in the trunk - can't remember what you call them in the US but not a sedan). That would include about 30 minutes wait time at the airport so if the flight is delayed it costs a little more. I guess a regular taxi shouldn't be too difficult to find on a Sunday morning so that may be an easier option and not much more expensive - certainly better than the $310, about £170!

Which date are you sailing?

Regards

Norm

>"it is also where Samuel Pepys watched the Great Fire of London from in 1666."

Oh right, I forgot that. Thanks, John. I confess my ultimate goal in life is to live in London and work as a tour guide on one of the tour buses? It's my favorite thing to do, no matter how many times I go, riding a tour bus and learning new bits of trivia.

Speaking of trivia, is there a 'team' for our crossing?

Jane (knows emu eggs are green; as are those of Dr Seuss)

Archived