PRIDE 8/28-9/18/05: 18 day London/NYC

aaannnthony

Now that it's finely cooling done here in Reno, it's off to London, and not a minute too soon. We're leaving on the 24th, spending the night at the Shearton near La Guardia and flying out of JFK on the 25th on Virgin Atlantic. Looking forward to a couple of days in London. See you all at the SkyBar.

Leonid

I too, am off on the 24th; and from the news it seems it's better to be arriving in London than trying to leave LHR. I am at the Stafford and will be pleased to stand a few rounds of drink in the American Bar to anyone who would like to meet.

Jane

Jane~~~I can not remember if I mentioned to you and the others that taking a taxi to the Waterford Castle Hotel, in Waterford, for lunch is a grrrreat treat!

Also, for the golfers......I believe the Hotel will allow you to play even though you aren't staying there. A most beautiful 'lit private island!

Have fun!

MB

Jane~~~The Waterford Castle Hotel is a grand hotel......and Waterford is NOT the place to shop for crystal. I've been to Ireland many times (Grandfather from County Wexford and we still visit our cousins) and I have found that the Waterford Crystal factory prices are about the same as in Texas.

'Round up a few hungry sailors and mosey on over to the Castle Hotel. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Kinda neat to take their ferry for lunch.

MB

The Sky Bar before the lifeboat drill? I figure on unpacking later in the evening, since we sail earlier than usual. I don't want to miss anything!

I just read that 'Salty's' is the best spot in Halifax for lobster; I am keeping a file.

Jane

You might be disappointed ,hopefully not in me. My 'file' is more like notations from the internet and a few articles. I do know, however, we all will have a terrific time!

Jane in PHL (hot and steamy~ the weather, not me!)

Jane, Leonid, aaannnthony et al

You lucky people! Just five days before you sail - I still have two months to wait. :(

I know you are leaving soon for the UK and you may want to bring an umbrella (bowler hat not required :)). The weather in London is quite changeable - one day a lot of light showers and the next mild - not hot - and sunny. Currently, they're forecasting rain for tomorrow and Thursday and better thereafter. Unfortunately, our forecasts are not very reliable. :confused:

I've been in touch with Jane and Leonid but I'm not sure I'll be able to meet you before as I have a minor operation on Friday and may not be able to travel for 24/48 hours. I do hope, however, to get to Tower Pier on Sunday to say Hi. I'd like to stay to see the ship sail away - it's 6pm right? - but I haven't yet worked out where is a good vantage point now since the ship no longer sails through the Bridge.

I'm beginning to look forward to my cruise now - should be picking up my Kenyan visa today and then will probably apply for the Egyptian one to avoid having to do this at the airport.

This will be my last chance to see the Pride until June 3 2006 and then she won't be back until September 15. :(

If you want to recognise me at the Pier, I should be wearing a Pride baseball cap and may be carrying a camera ;) .

Have a great cruise, y'all.

Norm, thanks for the post....make sure you're waving, not just wearing, your Pride cap on Sunday.

We'll be the last to leave, Saturday evening. It looks like Jane, Leonid, and Susan all leave a few days early. Maybe you can give us a weather forecast on Saturday for Sunday.

For Martita, what's your best guess as to formals, informals, etc. for the 18 days?

THANKS!

anthony~~~I think the following evenings will be formal:

Mon, Aug. 29th

Tues. Sept. 6th (either 6th or 7th)

One "Club" formal evening

Tues. Sept. 13th

Friday Sept. 16th (by the Statue of Liberty)

Usually there is an Epicurean Delight (in the Purer's Lobby) before a formal dinner. Very impressive!

There will be a great Liar's Club, (informal evening)"Name That Tune"(informal)

and then any private birthday or "whatever" parties, etc.

I always tape a "evening dress guideline", (from the 1st day's Herald) to my dressing table. Easy, quick to glance at in the morning to plan ahead.

I know you'll have a marvelous voyage.....I'm certainly going to miss being on the "high sea" while sitting FORMAL up at Lake Como trying to converse with a "bunch of Italian wedding merrymakers!"

Should I just say, " grazie, or buon giorno or ciao bella????" Oh, I'll just use my "Texas" sign language......they'll understand that! hahaha

Have fun.....smooth seas and blue skies above the Pride!

See 'ya in 'ole New York!

Martita

Thanks for the Bon Voyage wishes. I know we all wish the entire CC BB could be joining us. NOrm, best wishes for your surgery. We shall wave extra wildly as we leave. Perhaps you will fell the good vibrations for better health.

Jane (And you all should have burning ears about 6 PM London time ~you do the math~ because we will be toasting you!)

Archived