PRIDE 8/28-9/18/05: 18 day London/NYC

aaannnthony

Martha,

Thanks for the suggestions. Avoca is in County Wicklow, so perhaps the Johnny Fox will do well for lunch. I plan on having a posh lunch in Dublin at the hotel owned by Bono. (My mind, when I want to remember a name is so horrid these days.) Anyway I had a divine luncheon in the restaurant there, with a garlic veloute to die for. My pre-cruise documents should arrive today and I can check out the options. It's easier to do it that way then online.

Jane

Jane, I think the name of the hotel is "Clarence"......another great hotel is "The Merrion." Merv Griffen owns it, as well as his fabulous Castle Hotel up near Galway. Mother and I would always have teatime at the old world, "Shelbourne Hotel"......in The Lord's Mayor's room. (Happy memories)

As to Avoca......I believe I have a couple of Avoca woolen sweaters.

Johnny Fox's Pub is Ireland's most famous pub and is more fun with a group. JB, a couple from California and I hired a car and spent the day sauntering a'round the Wicklows.......beautiful area!

So much to see and do around Dublin!

Martita

Thanks, Martita!

One of my problems is that when I start to type a reply, I often forget a specific name, place and then I don't want to cancel and go out and find it and then re-type..or by the time I remember, and I usually do, the option for editing has elapsed!!!

Have a wonderful time in MIlan, stop by the Ferragamo store and give them a wave from me. My Mother used to say that we paid for the awnings on their villa in Capri. Years ago, they were bright yellow and easily spotted. You will have an exciting time and I look forward to a first-hand report on the Pride in September!

Jane

Jane, your drive down to Avoca will be delightful! You'll go thru' Bray and Greystones. We use to visit the Arklow china factory, but it's since "gone by the wayside." Many Dubliner's have oceanside homes at Greystones. Johnnie Fox Pub is located in Glencullen. I can not say enough about a visit/lunch to Johnnie's! Just one of the must do's around Dublin. Recently since the disappearance of the young woman from Birmingham in Aruba, I've thought about many years ago a girl from New York absolutely disappeared into thin air at Johnnie Fox's Pub. She had driven down from Dublin, to the Pub with a girlfriend. They were seen IN the Pub.......and her girlfriend, suddenly realized she was GONE! Sure 'nuff she WAS! Poof! Never to be found or heard from again. Her father was a NY policeman. He hired private investigators and then searched for years and years.......never one clue! To this day, her disappearance is a mystery!

The drive thru' the Wicklows is gorgeous! Stop and pick a nosegay of purple heather! We brought a few sprigs back to the Pride last year.

Martita

Thanks for the recommendations. Every time I am in Dublin it is pouring and even though I hire a car to sightsee, I am waiting for a sunny day. I just perused the brochure with all the trip options and this is the first time I have ever been so disappointed, mostly with the east side of the pond locations. I shall stock up on Euros and Pounds and go off on my own.

Jane

Aaannnthony: sorry for not posting...been busy on other threads. My wife & I rarely do ship tours so your idea of independent touring sounds great. My wife does have a mobility problem, but I doubt that it would be a problem.

Jane Pond: Johnny Fox's Pub also comes highly reccommended from the bartender at the Sky Bar from this Spring's sailing on the Pride. He was a dour individual who had a run-in with the chief purser...will bw interesting to see if he will still be there.

Leonid

As I was re-reading this post, I noticed that cruiser 'LittleLadyHalsey' said she was booked on the crossing, but hasn't seemed to post since. If you are still going, let us know! We will be meeting at the SkyBar as usual, before and after the lifeboat drill.

Jane in PHL (I read the Cunard/QM2 posts occasionally, and one problem they have which we don't, is where and when to meet. They can never seem to get it together, unlike we Seabourn sailors)

As I was re-reading this post, I noticed that cruiser 'LittleLadyHalsey' said she was booked on the crossing, but hasn't seemed to post since. If you are still going, let us know! We will be meeting at the SkyBar as usual, before and after the lifeboat drill.

Jane in PHL (I read the Cunard/QM2 posts occasionally, and one problem they have which we don't, is where and when to meet. They can never seem to get it together, unlike we Seabourn sailors)

I Know Jane,but then look at the size of the QM2.It must be great for stowaways!!

John

Miss Martha posted "Jane, your drive down to Avoca will be delightful! You'll go thru' Bray and Greystones. We use to visit the Arklow china factory, but it's since "gone by the wayside." Many Dubliner's have oceanside homes at Greystones. Johnnie Fox Pub is located in Glencullen. I can not say enough about a visit/lunch to Johnnie's! Just one of the must do's around Dublin. Recently since the disappearance of the young woman from Birmingham in Aruba, I've thought about many years ago a girl from New York absolutely disappeared into thin air at Johnnie Fox's Pub. She had driven down from Dublin, to the Pub with a girlfriend. They were seen IN the Pub.......and her girlfriend, suddenly realized she was GONE! Sure 'nuff she WAS! Poof! Never to be found or heard from again. Her father was a NY policeman. He hired private investigators and then searched for years and years.......never one clue! To this day, her disappearance is a mystery!"

Well, I know this is off topic BUT when I googled "Johnnie Fox Pub Disappearance" you'd be surprised what I found. ANOTHER disappearance of a different girl, who lived in Dublin. She visited the area on a bus from Dublin as was supposedly "sighted" at the pub. So, be careful Seabournites. We don't want any body going missing.

Bon voyage

I have never been sick, so that's a plus, I was jsut trying to hedge my bets. I am looking forward to having a bath with just a shower. That should be much easier for me. I don't mind any area, as long as it's Seabourn. That being said, however, I shall check on the seas before we leave Londonderry, to apply a patch, just in case... I am looking forward to your trip report!

Jane (Have friends joining us in STT, can't wait for you to meet them!)

Jane~~when you start the Crossing from Derry you may want to have your patch handy.....I had never, EVER suffered sea sickness, but last year on the Northern Cross (I was in suite 308) I woke up one morning and had not a clue as to my "feelings of dyin'!" ....happened to be just a simple case of mal de mer......Iquickly sought out Mike, the "reefer engineer" who managed the boiler room......to make my room reservation if the seas continued to stay angry!!! Hahaha We had only a couple of nights of roughness.....

Take a sweater or two.....could be chilly on the Cross.

Enjoy those fabulous "rite of passage" lazy, hazy, dazy sea days!

Martita

Aaannnthony,

Are you still working on a van? Also, a general question. I'm thinking of having a car pick us up at Heathrow instead of a cab. I think a lot of Londoner will be using cabs instead of public transportation. Does anyone have a good car service?

Thanks, can't wait for our first Seabourn cruise.

Susan

Aaannnthony,

Are you still working on a van? Also, a general question. I'm thinking of having a car pick us up at Heathrow instead of a cab. I think a lot of Londoner will be using cabs instead of public transportation. Does anyone have a good car service?

Thanks, can't wait for our first Seabourn cruise.

Susan

Hi Susan,

I use an excellent car service in London

email: chauffeurdriven@ntlworld.com

Regards

John

Susan, I believe we've agreed to meet aboard ship, the "seven", to discuss van possibilities. I'm sure it's quite possible that add'l candidates may be willing to consider private arrangements once we meet others aboard ship.

We will only consider ship tours to use up our Amex Platinum credit!

We're in cabin #204.

Archived