Alaska with Toddler?

flcruiser08

We are thinking about for going our typical Caribbean cruise next summer for Alaska, 2 almost 3 year old in tow. We are platinum on carnival so that's our line of choice I would like any and all experience/advice for those who have did similar. No I'm not leaving lo at home, this will be her 5th cruise. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Of course you don't leave your family at home on a family vacation!!! You'll need to research your ports more than in the Caribbean...lots to do, but many things might not be suitable (time-wise) for a very young child. Get a book on Alaska and figure out what will be good for you and your child...then you can figure out HOW to do those things!

Kids are so lucky nowadays...I didn't cruise until my late 30's!!!

I have three year old twins and while I haven't done an Alaska cruise yet I have looked into it. They have their sixth cruise planned for December too so I know how you feel about taking them with you.

I would first say find a ship that you like and decide where you want to travel from. (Seattle, one way from Seward/ Whittier with some time in Alaska or Vancouver, possibly a ten day from San Francisco). Your embarking port will limit your choices and then you can decide from there. I wouldn't limit myself to just Carnival even though you have done them before, but if that is important to you then you may find you only have one option.

Shore excursions are expensive and you will still often be charged for the toddler once they are two whereas other warmer destinations do not charge until three.

Alaska has strict car seat laws and they will be required in any car, taxi etc. Decide what you want to do and make sure you bring a car seat or book one with the excursion. Keep this is mind when planning your shore days.

Layers of clothes seem to be the best option. A jacket,sweater and a t-shirt underneath and then remove/add as appropriate. Weather seems to change on an hourly basis.

Happy planning and maybe I'll see you next summer.

Edited by bearette

Alaska has strict car seat laws and they will be required in any car, taxi etc. Decide what you want to do and make sure you bring a car seat or book one with the excursion. Keep this is mind when planning your shore days.

Another option is to look for excursions that use full-size buses. Buses are generally considered safe without seat belts (or car seats) because of their size and the way they operate.

We brought our car seats because we needed them for the airplane and transit to the ship, but they stayed in our closet. We paid more to book excursions through the ship but then we didn't have to worry about what to do with our car seats during each excursion. And most of the time we just walked around the town and looked for local museums or libraries.

Edited by gluecksbaer

Alaska is great for that age because the ports can be so active and it's very easy to rent a car and do the sights on your own timing/with all you need. A car seat backpack or a carseat bag with wheels is helpful getting it off and on the ship. The only port we didn't rent a car was Juneau where it was easy to take the tram to the glacier where there's a stroller-friendly trail to the waterfall.

Best,

Mia

Edited by Kerry's Girls

We did Alaska on the NCL Jewel with our then 1.75-yr old. It was a wonderful trip, though not particularly active in terms of port stuff. Of course we did the White Pass railway (what self-respecting male toddler would pass up that trip?). We booked it privately, taking a shuttle bus up to the top and riding it back down.

We also did the Ketchikan "Duck" tour, which was great - lots of airplane activity on the harbour made our son very happy. In Juneau and Victoria we walked and walked and walked. The itinerary was the Tracey Arm sailing - it was a magnificent, warm, sunny day and we sat on our balcony enjoying the quiet lapping of the waves and the incredible scenery. Our little guy was mesmerized by the whole thing.

All in all one of our favourite sailings....

We took two year old twins to Alaska (along with our older kids) this past summer and had a wonderful time. We left them on the boat with Mickey in Skagway while we did a helicopter tour out to land on a glacier, but otherwise they were able to participate in our excursions and had a blast. They both dozed off whale watching in Juneau, and they loved Ketchikan (my favorite port). It was a great trip, and I'd do it again in a heart beat.

Of course you don't leave your family at home on a family vacation!!! You'll need to research your ports more than in the Caribbean...lots to do, but many things might not be suitable (time-wise) for a very young child. Get a book on Alaska and figure out what will be good for you and your child...then you can figure out HOW to do those things!

Kids are so lucky nowadays...I didn't cruise until my late 30's!!!

oh, to be a kid of cruisers! dd has four now, dh & I were married before our first one. And we only have 8. lol. At least we were gold before her?! :D

The thing is with any cruise, is to know your child and to be flexible. Oh, and age three is a game changer. :eek: