Cancel for any reason..

sportsmum

We have never purchased insurance before but this is probably wise move for this occasion. Please, can someone clarify so I don't sound an idiot when I call?

Scenario: Purchased 2 cabins, side by side, balconies Caribe deck. Don't want to risk those beauties! Boys in one cabin, parents in the other. Girl cancelled already so no longer whole family Christmas cruise. One boy on fence due to possible work constraints (great job while attending school- doesn't want to risk). Still no answer as to whether he can get the time off. Not sure whether I will get an answer before final payment.

Questions:

If I purchase cancel for any reason insurance do I purchase for only that one boy? Is the insurance for the person or the cabin?

If he cancels do I file for refund right away or can I wait until after the cruise in case minds are changed?

Do I let Princess know ASAP or a couple days prior to departure?

Would that mean other boy could stay in balcony cabin by himself without paying single supplement? He is over 21 so that isn't an issue.

If boyo cancelled on me I was going to purchase an inside across the hall as a single for boy but would prefer original cabin.

Thank you for any insight you can offer me.

Insurance is bought per-person. No matter who pays for it, the passenger submits the paperwork (unless they are a minor.)

I'm a little fuzzy on this but I think if the person cancels and notifies Princess, the remaining passenger is then charged a single rate. If it were me, I'd let the person be a no-show and then they could submit the claim. They would receive the fare minus the cost of the insurance. If it's a covered reason, it would be a refund. If it's not a covered reason, it would be a credit on the passenger's Captain's Circle account.

Edited by Pam in CA

We have never purchased insurance before but this is probably wise move for this occasion.

This does not answer your question, but is a comment on your first statement. In the future you may wish to re-consider the no insurance position for cruises. Remember you are going to a foreign country(ies). While you may be willing to risk a few thousand $$ for the cruise fare, you may be overlooking the high costs of medical expense, hospital stays, operations, hotel expenses, air fares and possible evacuation, all from a foreign country. Think about it.

Edited by sknight

Keep in mind that if you have cancel for any reason insurance through Princess, if the cancellation is not for one of the "covered" reasons (usually medical), the "refund" is actually a future cruise credit on the Captain's Circle account if the person who cancelled. So if someone other than the person who cancelled paid for the cruise, they don't get their money back OR the cruise credit.

Not exactly on topic--but did you mark your cabins "no upgrade" so you won't lose one or more if Princess decides to upgrade you? (I sympathize with the complications of trying to do a family holiday cruise!)

YES!

And, thank you! I thought all the kinks were worked out before I booked and Murphy's Law kicked in.

The only thing I can think to add is, to minimize your financial risk, you might want to move both boys into an inside cabin near yours at this point. They can use your balcony, but if one son does cancel, and the remaining son is refared at 160-200% as a solo, the supplement is based on a lower cabin fare :).

Not exactly on topic--but did you mark your cabins "no upgrade" so you won't lose one or more if Princess decides to upgrade you? (I sympathize with the complications of trying to do a family holiday cruise!)

YES!

And, thank you! I thought all the kinks were worked out before I booked and Murphy's Law kicked in.

Also make sure that both cabin reservations are linked together to hopefully prevent a possible problem.

"No upgrade" is only a request because Princess (and I think all cruise lines) reserves the right to change cabin assignments which has never happened to me. However I've read posts from some passengers who were involuntarily reassigned to another cabin despite marking their reservation as "no upgrade". :(

Edited by Astro Flyer

It is my understanding that all in the cabin must have the insurance in order to have the single supplement waived when one has to cancel.

So, if the one son has to cancel you must tell Princess right away. The one still cruising will get charged a supplement but it will be covered by insurance.

Does anyone agree with this?

It is my understanding that all in the cabin must have the insurance in order to have the single supplement waived when one has to cancel.

So, if the one son has to cancel you must tell Princess right away. The one still cruising will get charged a supplement but it will be covered by insurance.

Does anyone agree with this?

Thank you- I will confirm this when I call next week. I was having trouble with how to phrase my questions so it doesn't look like I am planning a coupe of some sort with the cabin.

eandj: good thought but since it's over Christmas I believe most would want to be with immediate family.

Thank you- I will confirm this when I call next week. I was having trouble with how to phrase my questions so it doesn't look like I am planning a coupe of some sort with the cabin.

eandj: good thought but since it's over Christmas I believe most would want to be with immediate family.

have you purchased the insurance already? Will you be just getting insurance through the cruiseline or insurance for your entire trip eg= Trip insurance? I just go trip insurance not through cruiseline. It was actually pretty reasonable. You can do a search here on cruisecritic and find the place I went through or just ask around <--- I got quotes from several places before I made my choice. Something else to keep in mind. If you are past like 2 weeks from your deposit of paying for your trip, it gets more expensive to to the "cancel for any reason". I would never think twice about sailing without tripinsurance. I have already missed one cruise due to a hurricane. I wouldn't even want to think what would happen if someone got sick or injured. Canceling would be the least of my worries. :eek:

Insurance through the cruise line is the only insurance I have heard of that is 'cancel for any reason'.

I guess since I am not from the USA I don't think about insurance the same way. :) Paid with credit card: trip insurance and medical insurance included. Work: out of country medical insurance included in benefits. My country: some out of country medical insurance included. Boys University fees also have medical insurance included. If I look I am pretty sure I have travel coverage of some sort on my home insurance. Why pay for insurance that I have already? The only one I don't have is 'cancel for any reason' and that's what I may need this time.

Keep in mind that if you have cancel for any reason insurance through Princess, if the cancellation is not for one of the "covered" reasons (usually medical), the "refund" is actually a future cruise credit on the Captain's Circle account if the person who cancelled. So if someone other than the person who cancelled paid for the cruise, they don't get their money back OR the cruise credit.

I believe this is correct...unless your insurance is through a private insurer, Princess only gives cruise credits for cancel for any reason.

I am thinking that's what you have, yes?

The following comments are from the Princess Vacation Protection brochure on their website: https://book.princess.com/html/personalizer/downloads/pdf/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

I would recommend you look at it yourself before making any decisions, since some points are not completely clear. I have not personally collected on a cancellation, so my comments are only from reading the brochure. I usually assume that they will cover only what they specifically say they will cover.

The Princess Cruise Vacation Cancellation & Interruption Fee Waiver under Princess Vacation Protection is not insurance - it is a fee waiver from Princess Cruises (except for residents of New York State). If you cancel for one of the covered reasons, you receive a refund in cash of all the nonrefundable expenses (except for the cost of Princess Vacation Protection itself). This program also pays the single supplement if your traveling companion cancels for a covered reason and you do not cancel.

If you cancel for a covered reason, you are supposed to contact Princess or your travel agent as soon as you know you have to cancel. If you do not notify them, you may not get reimbursed for expenses incurred after you should have notified them.

The Special Cruise Vacation Protection Cancellation Enhancement (or Vacation Protection "Any Reason") refunds 75% or 100% of the nonrefundable costs in a cruise credit. The only requirement is that you must provide notice of cancellation prior to the ship's departure. The only reason to notify Princess earlier is that some of the cruise fare may still be refundable in cash if you notify them early enough - check the passage contract for the details of the refund schedule.

The description of the "Any Reason" benefit in the Princess brochure does NOT include any mention of waiver of a single supplement. The only mention of the single supplement waiver or refund is in the section about cancellation for a covered reason. Unless you have information stating otherwise, I would not assume that you would have the single supplement waived if you cancel for a non-covered reason.

If you purchase third-party insurance with Cancel for Any Reason coverage, then it is very important to check the details of their coverage before purchasing it. Do not assume it will cover a single supplement unless it specifically says it will.

I guess I was un aware that the rules were different in other places other than the US. It is easy to forget that just because we are all reading cruisecritic doesn't make us all from the same place, nor would they(cruiselines or insurance companies, etc) give us the same rules to play by :eek: It's also a nice reminder to know that we have friends so far away.

I hope you are able to sort things out!

Navyveteran: Awesome information! Thank you so much.

Familyoutdoors: Same rules probably - our taxes and rates are just higher!! :D I submitted a claim for a prescription bought in the USA to our gov't and with all the paperwork to submit it the cost/time ratio didn't make sense! I can't say it isn't nice to walk around without having to worry though.

I am not too worried about cash back vs cruise credits. I will still be paying his vacations for a few years yet and one way or the other it will come back to me.

Thank you all for your help!

Insurance is bought per-person. No matter who pays for it, the passenger submits the paperwork (unless they are a minor.)

I'm a little fuzzy on this but I think if the person cancels and notifies Princess, the remaining passenger is then charged a single rate. If it were me, I'd let the person be a no-show and then they could submit the claim. They would receive the fare minus the cost of the insurance. If it's a covered reason, it would be a refund. If it's not a covered reason, it would be a credit on the passenger's Captain's Circle account.

I don't think this would work as the insurance specifically says you must notify Princess before departure.

Edited by cactusrose