Packing

cajuncowgirl13

Look at what you are planning on doing each day (port excursion, sea day at the pool? etc) and gather what you want to wear for those activities. For dinners I usually do a neutral skirt and pants and tops that mix and match. I would NOT bring an outfit for each day and each night-recycle/reuse/remix a few pieces-no one will notice or care (and if they do, so what?) For formal nights, do what you want. I usually do a nice cocktail dress and sandals and shawl (that also matches the other dinner outfits) DH & DS do dress slacks, ties and dress shirts.

Most people overpack. The general rule you will read here is pack what you think then take out half the clothes and put in double the $$$ :)

Yes a shirt and tie would be fine! As for me I'm a mix and match gal too ( have to be with airline weight restrictions) I take 3 pairs of Capri pants ( black, navy and white) and assorted daytime tops, and a couple of sparkly tops for evening as a change from dresses. I put in 2/3 formal dresses as I enjoy the dressing up and a couple of less formal lightweight dresses for evenings. Truly no one really notices at all- enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

[emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻 I love to play dress up so it wouldn't bother me but I don't want to be a sore thumb sticking out lol!!!! My husband will be happy that he doesn't have to wear a suit!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your husband doesn't have to wear a suit, no one can is going to question a long-sleeved dress shirt and tie. However, depending on the ship and itinerary, I still think most men wear s tux, suit, or sports coat on formal night. Lots of people will disagree, but that is still the suggested dress code for the evening.

That really depends on how much you like to dress up at night. We pack two 22" carry on size for a week cruise, plus a personal bag each - don't have to worry about missing baggage. Toiletries are all small size and plenty for a week. Dark slacks/capris for dinner as well as sundresses that can be worn one night and then the next day. Two swim suits with a coverup plus two pair of shorts with 4 tops for daytime wear. I wear only comfortable shoes (no heels) so sneakers, flip flops and a pair of black flat sandals for dinner are all we need. DH wears slacks and long sleeve shirt to dinner - a suit reminds him too much of work requirements. For us, packing very light is what we prefer but it is not for everyone.

Have fun!

It's very subjective. We dress nicely for dinner every night so I bring a dress per night and then shorts tanks capris during the day. Then bathing suits and cover ups ( God knows more people should make use of cover ups lol). Hubby packs a suit, khakis button down shirts and shorts and tees for day time. If cruising Caribbean I shudde to think of people who re wear their daytime wear. Hope I don't get stuck in an elevator with you sniff sniff ewwww. I do always over pack!

I have 14 dresses for the week (8 evening / casual dresses that can pass for dress up / formal night and 6 sundresses for the beach / sundeck for cover up), 3 bathing suits, 2 sweatpants and 3 t-shirts for gym, 4 pair of shoes, 3 shawls & 3 infinity scarves (because the A/C are cold at times) are in a carry-on weekender bag plus a backpack to hold the toiletries, makeup and extras like water bottles. All I have to do if I want to look extra 'polish' is buy some costume jewelry onboard which they sell for like $10 each on sale on the 1st Seaday. :)

Like sbbquilter said, not everyone can do carry-on and pack 'light' - Do what you think you and your spouse need for both the day time and evening time. It took alot of land vacations for me to figure out how pack light for my 1st Caribbean cruise -and I still messed up by not packing enough day time clothes among other things. So, don't worry if you don't get it right the 1st time, packing is a lifelong process. ;)

Look at what you are planning on doing each day (port excursion, sea day at the pool? etc) and gather what you want to wear for those activities. For dinners I usually do ... pants and tops that mix and match. I would NOT bring an outfit for each day and each night-recycle/reuse/remix a few pieces-no one will notice or care (and if they do, so what?) ..)

This is what I do as well. For dress up or formal nights I have dressy black slacks and two different dressy tops, one is glittery.

Well, here goes! We almost always cruise for at least 10 days plus land tours/flying before and after. We have 2 large checked pieces, 2 roll a boards and a personal item, that is a tote each. That means 6. They can all stack/strap together so we each can handle one group for short distances. We utilize porters and luggage carts in airports. We opt for gate check if offered by the airline; in fact we go to the check in counter and volunteer. We are in our mid-70s and do not self carry our stuff onto or off the cruise ship. We pay for 1checked luggage each unless it's an international flight where that is included.

We watch the weight limits on our checked pieces. We take formal clothes, tux and gowns, day time casual, evening casual. The only problem is the weight of DH's shoes. He has to carry 2 pairs in his tote so the checked bags won't be overweight.

Margee

Always envious of people who can do a cruise with just a carryon. I know that I never could! I pack pretty well and mix and match, but still need a regular suitcase.

I am also always curious how they manage toiletries. I definitely use a lot more sunscreen than a 3 oz size and it is expensive on board, not to mention poor selection.

Always envious of people who can do a cruise with just a carryon. I know that I never could! I pack pretty well and mix and match, but still need a regular suitcase.

I am also always curious how they manage toiletries. I definitely use a lot more sunscreen than a 3 oz size and it is expensive on board, not to mention poor selection.

Separate carry-on like a backpack or a tote holds the full-size toiletries. :) I need my hair care products plus body lotion and sunscreen. :o

Separate carry-on like a backpack or a tote holds the full-size toiletries. :) I need my hair care products plus body lotion and sunscreen. :o

How do you carry on full size toiletries? I assume then you are not flying. If so, toiletries in carryon have to be 3 ounces per TSA. That's the problem I was referring to.

How do you carry on full size toiletries? I assume then you are not flying. If so, toiletries in carryon have to be 3 ounces per TSA. That's the problem I was referring to.

If not flying no problem. If flying you have to be creative.

Traveling with carry-ons is a mindset issue. Have to be willing to rewear and/or wash while traveling. Some things will have to be purchased at your final destination.

Most toiletries can be purchased or decanted in smaller sizes. Do test run beforehand. I know I can get 14 uses out of a travel toothpaste, more than 14 shampoos from a 3oz bottle, 42 uses of Argan oil in a recycled 10 ml eye drop bottle. I can get 10 uses of hair cement in one side of a contact lens case.

ladylighttravel.com has a good tutorial on decanting, re packaging and repurposing beauty items.

Edited by SadieN

Light packing can be done... my best job was DH and I for 16 days (2 days hotel + B2B cruises) in 2 rolling suitcases (50 lbs each) + 2 small carryons. Doesn't sound too hard... but 75 of the 100 lbs checked consisted of 2 full sets of dive gear. :D

I definitely second the recommendation to take half the stuff you packed out of the bag and double the money. I'll take it a step further, particularly if you're going to bring home souvenirs.

Take your scruffy socks, undies and nightie, and a pair of shoes that are suitable for the beach/getting wet. Wear and pitch, and you have room and weight for stuff to take home. Also, if you're planning on buying wearables, bring less from home, and go right ahead and wear your purchases.

NOBODY is going to care what your hair looks like or if you have your makeup done!!!

Leave the hair dryer & other styling tools at home. If you have short hair, bring a little gel. If you have longer hair, bring a headband and ponytail holders. The shampoo onboard is perfectly acceptable. Do bring a little bit of your favorite conditioner, particularly if you have long or curly hair.

Leave the makeup at home as well - all you're going to do is sweat it off anyway. If you can't do totally without, skate by with a little bit of blush and mascara. Even better if you have just a little bit left, and can pitch them at the end.

If you want fancy hair and makeup for formal night, splurge and get it done in the spa. You might as well have a relaxing spa day instead of hauling and paying for that extra bag both ways!

Some health and beauty items to definitely bring:

Good sunscreen! (15 is good, 30 is better)

Lip balm - a sunscreen one (50+) and a rich regular one for night-time.

Aloe gel if you have a tendency to burn.

Dental floss

Panty shields

Nail clipper and emery board

...and most important of all, bring your smile! :D

Have a wonderful trip!

Wendy