Carnival Liberty Evacuation

pauleydm

We have 4 days in San Juan prior to our cruise. Haven't figured out what our options are if it doesn't sail, but sounds like she may get back to sailing today or tomorrow. Safe travels!

We're flying in one day early. I was hoping to fly in a few days early this time, but DH just started his current job last year and wouldn't have enough vacation days for that. A few of us were looking at another cruise out of San Juan as a possible alternate. The only other one was RCI on Adventure of the Seas that sails on 9/19 - 9/26, but it's sold out. There's a lot to see and do in San Juan and all of PR, but we're hoping that all goes in our favor for Liberty. That would be great if she can resume her normal schedule. I have so much to do, but have been glued to the computer watching this situation unfold.

Here is the official letter they gave everyone on board......http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=361826&stc=1&d=1441663125[/img]

Can you repost a higher quality image? It's too pixelated to read.

Glad everyone is safe! I hope they determine the cause of the fire before setting sail. I'd be nervous about a repeat.

Thanks for the updates. Glad everyone made it out safe. My friend and her mom is on this cruise. She texted me about the fire and stated that they're going over to the Marriot to wait it out. She sent me a pic of the people waiting in line for the bus. I feel sorry for them it's their first cruise.

That's weird that the date is incorrect on the letter. Also, how did they distribute the letter to all of the passengers?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I know, I noticed that too, not sure yet how they distributed, waiting for an answer....he just says he is now at the Marriott with 3000 of his closest friends, lol.

Edited by keystonemama

That's weird that the date is incorrect on the letter. Also, how did they distribute the letter to all of the passengers?

That was probably a first draft that a few got,since as posted above other letters had the correct date

I'm guessing they handed them out as people came back to the ship expecting to board or those that were on the ship,when the incident happened just received them when as they were waiting.

Probably just a mistake they made in their haste to get the letter out.

Also, as someone mentioned earlier, the Vacation Guarantee is still in effect... be interesting to see if anyone invokes it, if they even can (may be fine print in the T&C about this?)

The latest news is that guests are being directed to the Marriott Fishermans Reef to rest in one of the ballrooms. The fire was contained and extinguished by the automatic fire suppression system. We are now waiting for clearance to reboard the ship. We will not sail before 8:00pm. This was an official letter from the captain.

Thanks for keeping us posted, pauleydm. Enjoy the rest of your cruise & hope it's uneventful!

We sail on this ship in 2 weeks as well, hope there are no Itinerary changes. Go Steelers!

We are on the cruise with you and I am a huge steelers fan also. Maybe we could meet at a pool bar on the sea day. It will be me, my wife and my cousin and his wife on the cruise.

We sail on this ship in 2 weeks as well, hope there are no Itinerary changes. Go Steelers!

We are on the cruise with you and I am a huge steelers fan also. Maybe we could meet at a pool bar on the sea day. It will be me, my wife and my cousin and his wife on the cruise.

Any news yet? We wont be on her until Feb 7th and looking forward to sailing her, Hope everyone stays safe and Carnival Sails soon and gives on board credit all passengers. That would be the thing to do . sounds as if Carnival is doing a great job trying to keep passengers informed and making sure ppl are comfortable. Kudos to Carnival!

That would be great! We're cruising with a few friends. Always fun to meet fellow cruisers and steelers fans!

Sounds like they have the fire out and are probably airing out the engine room. We always take a copy of our passports with us when leaving the ship. Glad to hear there were no injuries.

I realize you are in USVI, but taking a copy of your passports is of no value anywhere outside of US and it's possessions - even if it makes you feel better it gives you no advantage.

I realize you are in USVI, but taking a copy of your passports is of no value anywhere outside of US and it's possessions - even if it makes you feel better it gives you no advantage.

It can help expedite the replacement of a lost or stolen passport. A copy does seem to be considered evidence of citizenship by the State Department. But I agree, you can't travel with a copy. A copy of a passport is even worth less in the US and its possessions. At least outside the US, you can use it at a consulate or embassy to make replacement of your passport quicker.

Edited by dioxide45