Cabin Crawl Snacks

elkay68

DH and I have signed up to be one of seven hosts for our cabin crawl. Never have done this before. Our cabin is the last one. It is being help 2 days after we embark the ship. What type of snacks (complementary) has your butler been able to provide? We are starting the crawl at 2:00 and would expect to be at our cabin before 3:00.

DH and I have signed up to be one of seven hosts for our cabin crawl. Never have done this before. Our cabin is the last one. It is being help 2 days after we embark the ship. What type of snacks (complementary) has your butler been able to provide? We are starting the crawl at 2:00 and would expect to be at our cabin before 3:00.

Have a conversation with your butler about this. Cheese and crackers, shrimp and dip, and fruit would be the sorts of things our butler has provided in the past. You might want some sweets.

On our first TA we went on our first (probably our only) cabin crawl. I think there were about 100 of us roving the halls and I remember 20 or 21 cabins! Pretty much every category. The PH was at the end and they had little bowls of munchies, but nothing more than that. I think there was M&Ms, nuts, some pretzels, things like that. They were planning a more private party that evening and didn't want lingering or mess.

Have done 6 or 7 cabin crawls and only one had cookies in their suite which was the final cabin.

Our upcoming cruise h as 70 people on the cabin crawl-I wouldn't expect anyone to provide snacks or have 70 people hang around their suite.

The general rule [although interpretation depends on the ship and sailing] is that cold snacks and juices are free, hot snacks, alcohol and sodas are at a price. Discuss what is available with your butler and make your decision based on how long you want everyone to stay!

We have done this once in a PH [only offering once we knew that the numbers were "manageable"]. It was an "interesting" experience. I opened the door [we did not participate in the rest of the crawl] and people just swarmed in and, within seconds, were everywhere. It disappointed my husband who loved giving the "tour".

We looked at each other and said "what have we let ourselves in for?" BUT, then, everyone just toured round, returned to the sitting room, enjoyed the refreshments and behaved like perfect guests. There was not one person who did not thank us in person.

It turned out to be a very pleasant experience. First impressions can often be wrong.

For the person worried about the mess and fuss, there is no need. Your butler will insist of setting it up and clearing up afterwards. We try to help but it is clear that we are in the way!

Thank you all for replies. We to waited u til the last minute to offer our PH based on how many signed up. Looks like a little over 50. Will see what Butler suggests as I too don't want lingering to to long. I am sure others will be respectful of everyone's time.

We hosted our AQ cabin last fall on the Constellation TA. The organizer commented that she would be serving Canadian chocolate, and it got the ball rolling. Many of the hosts provided treats, lots of chocolate! It was like Halloween, collecting door to door. If I recall correctly, there were about 80 people who registered for the crawl. Our first time hosting and participating and it was a ton of fun.

On one of our cruises last year, I volunteered our PH for the cabin crawl. I had asked our Butler to arrange for cheese and crackers, fruit, and champagne for the event. About 30 minutes prior to the scheduled start of the cabin crawl, I received a phone call from the person organizing the crawl stating that they would not be coming to my PH because they were visiting the PH next door on the crawl and that the PH's are all exactly alike.

I felt bad for our butler who had gone through the trouble of setting up a nice "spread" only to have to tell him that the folks decided not to visit our PH.

Needless to say, I won't ever sign up for another cabin crawl :rolleyes:

On one of our cruises last year, I volunteered our PH for the cabin crawl. I had asked our Butler to arrange for cheese and crackers, fruit, and champagne for the event. About 30 minutes prior to the scheduled start of the cabin crawl, I received a phone call from the person organizing the crawl stating that they would not be coming to my PH because they were visiting the PH next door on the crawl and that the PH's are all exactly alike.

I felt bad for our butler who had gone through the trouble of setting up a nice "spread" only to have to tell him that the folks decided not to visit our PH.

The organizer of that cabin crawl would have gotten a verbal, politically incorrect tongue lashing -- and I know lots of drunken sailor words. :rolleyes:

The cabin crawl we attended had about 6 or 7 cabins. There were no snacks at any of the cabins except the last which was an Owners suite on RCCL. The occupants of that suite had one kind of wine and one mixed drink and a couple of soft drinks available and I think a couple of bowls of nuts. I didn't feel that even this was necessary since we were not in any of the cabins for more than 10 or 15 mins. Even at the last cabin, most folks only stayed a half hour or so. But it was a nice gesture to have the refreshments available. There is so much food available on a cruise, that I think you might have 90% of what you offer left over when folks move on to the next cabin. See what others on your crawl want to do and go from there. Have fun!!!:)

How rude and thoughtless! I can see why you might be soured on cabin crawls. I too would have had words with that "organizer."

I can't believe that was done to you. Before I go on my rant, may I say THANK YOU for setting up the room so beautifully. You went above and beyond!

I agree with others posts. I would have given that organizer an ear full. It is totally rude what she did to you.

Thank you all for replies. We to waited u til the last minute to offer our PH based on how many signed up. Looks like a little over 50. Will see what Butler suggests as I too don't want lingering to to long. I am sure others will be respectful of everyone's time.

I assisted in conducting a cabin crawl a few years ago on The Connie. The couple who volunteered their suite for final stop arranged with their butler to provide snacks. I seem to recall there was a wide variety to choose from. All who went to the final suite stop were asked to bring a bottle of wine to share. All did and party lasted for hours and everyone behaved and everyone had a marvelous time meeting new friends. Host got to keep any and all unopened bottles of wine.

I can't believe that was done to you. Before I go on my rant, may I say THANK YOU for setting up the room so beautifully. You went above and beyond!

I agree with others posts. I would have given that organizer an ear full. It is totally rude what she did to you.

It was certainly rude to the person occupying the penthouse. But it was also extremely rude and disrespectful of the butler.

Have done several cabin crawls. Will note that 50 people is simply too many. You cannot get down the hallways and certainly not in and out of cabins. Suggest splittling the group and doing it on two days or ????

My partner organized a cabin crawl on a TA for over 100. I think she split it up into three groups, starting on 3 floors, and had them rotate so they hopefully never saw each other. It made it harder on the hosting cabins because they had to stay longer / rotate out to see other cabins, but it was the only way to make it work for that many people.

It ended in an RS where about 25 people hung out and socialized.

I think however it was the one and only time she'll offer to organize. Of course, we offer our cabin when we can. We've had anything from cookies to shrimp cocktail and refreshments depending on the cabin and time of day. When we've been the last cabin, we generally do more.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Have done several cabin crawls. Will note that 50 people is simply too many. You cannot get down the hallways and certainly not in and out of cabins.

My partner organized a cabin crawl on a TA for over 100. I think she split it up into three groups, starting on 3 floors, and had them rotate so they hopefully never saw each other. It made it harder on the hosting cabins because they had to stay longer/rotate out to see other cabins, but it was the only way to make it work for that many people.

Of course, we offer our cabin when we can. We've had anything from cookies to shrimp cocktail and refreshments depending on the cabin and time of day. When we've been the last cabin, we generally do more.

Cruise Critic Cabin Crawls are a really fun way to meet new friends AND get a look at different types of cabins you might be considering for a future cruise. :)

The people who organize, AND people who host deserve thanks from everyone involved... but it's ridiculous to even think about doing such large groups ALL AT ONCE. :o

We had OVER 160 Cruise Critic members do a 10-cabin crawl on the Reflection Transatlantic last fall, (including the one and only Reflection Suite!) and it worked out very nicely.

If the group initially gets together in one of the lounges/common areas, and starts the route in small groups of six or eight at a time, (starting with the cabin hosts) and separated by 3 minute intervals, EVERYBODY gets to see ALL the cabins with no traffic jams.

Each group spends no more than three minutes at each cabin, so there is always a small gap between each group. There are never more than 8 or 10 people in any cabin at any one time, and passageways on the ship are never clogged. :cool:

At the END of the crawl, the HOSTS (who started out in the first groups) leave their cabins after the last of the non-host crawlers, and finish out the route. ;)

We are doing the same thing on the Constellation transatlantic this fall and have over 100 people signed up to visit 11 cabins. :D

Edited by teecee60

Cruise Critic Cabin Crawls are a really fun way to meet new friends AND get a look at different types of cabins you might be considering for a future cruise. :)

The people who organize, AND people who host deserve thanks from everyone involved... but it's ridiculous to even think about doing such large groups ALL AT ONCE. :o

We had OVER 160 Cruise Critic members do a 10-cabin crawl on the Reflection Transatlantic last fall, (including the one and only Reflection Suite!) and it worked out very nicely.

If the group initially gets together in one of the lounges/common areas, and starts the route in small groups of six or eight at a time, (starting with the cabin hosts) and separated by 3 minute intervals, EVERYBODY gets to see ALL the cabins with no traffic jams.

Each group spends no more than three minutes at each cabin, so there is always a small gap between each group. There are never more than 8 or 10 people in any cabin at any one time, and passageways on the ship are never clogged. :cool:

At the END of the crawl, the HOSTS (who started out in the first groups) leave their cabins after the last of the non-host crawlers, and finish out the route. ;)

We are doing the same thing on the Constellation transatlantic this fall and have over 100 people signed up to visit 11 cabins. :D

OK, maybe that wasn't the ONLY way, but you can't have huge group all trying to do the same route and go to the same cabins all at once...

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Hi All,

Can we still participate in the Cabin Crawl? If so, would love to be signed up!

We are Laurel & Brian from Toronto as registered on the roll call.

Sounds like it would be a hoot!

-Laurel & Brian

I'm surprised no one answered. This is not a specific sailing on this thread, but a general question about Cabin Crawls. If you're sailing has one, you should ask on the roll call for that sailing.

Happy sailing,

Jenna