Southampton Departure

cbradley1209

Hi, I have loads of time to plan, but this b2b is a surprise for my husband so I may be obsessing....

We're coming from the States. We disembark from Southampton for the first leg. I looked and I can't find much of interest in Southampton. Is the better plan to just fly IAD (Washington Dulles) to Heathrow, spend a bit of time in London and train to Southampton the day of the cruise?

Thanks for suggestions-chris

If you can arrive a few days before the cruise and yes, spend sometime in London as there is so much to see and do.

Keith

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, we have all the time in the world:) lucky to be retired.

We've been to London before, but it's been a while so another trip may be in order.

I looked at the trip to Southampton via train and it doesn't look too bad - pretty straightforward?

chris

Hi, I have loads of time to plan, but this b2b is a surprise for my husband so I may be obsessing....

We're coming from the States. We disembark from Southampton for the first leg. I looked and I can't find much of interest in Southampton. Is the better plan to just fly IAD (Washington Dulles) to Heathrow, spend a bit of time in London and train to Southampton the day of the cruise?

Thanks for suggestions-chris

We left out of Southampton on an RCI Transatlantic. Avoided London altogether, been there numerous times, too crowded, too expensive. Took a bus from Heathrow to Southampton, picked up a rental car there. Drove to Shaftsbury, a delightful small hill town in the Salisbury/Stonehenge neighborhood. Stayed in an Inn there for several days, used that as a base to visit sites around. On a Sunday morning, drove to Southampton, turned in the car, boarded the ship...

If you have plenty of time and are happy to hire a car there are many good places to visit on the south coast.

Southampton is right next to the New Forest.

Lymington would be a lovely little place to base yourselves for a couple of nights before a cruise.

As someone from just North of London who visits frequently, I also wonder why London is awful in summer.

In my opinion London is beautiful in summer. You just need to know where to go i.e. NOT Oxford Street!!!

Walking by the Thames, sitting in the parks, enjoying the historic monuments and palaces at their best, open air food markets.....

We spent a lovely 2 nights in London this past July. We stayed at the Hilton at LHR with points, took the tube into the city and it was great. Wonderful cool weather, very helpful people. We are WWII buffs and had already seen the usual tourist sights, so we visited the Imperial War museum the first day. It was free admission and very nice. The second day, we took the tube into London and then a train out to Bletchley Park to see the Enigma Museum. It was also a great experience. We took a Princess transfer from LHR to the port. We just put our bags on a push cart at the hotel and met the transfer bus. The only glitch was that we were told we had to be at terminal 3 and actually, Princess picked up also at terminal 4 where the Hilton is. Live and learn. Don't write off London in the summer.

London is fine in the summer though it is obviously more crowded primarily due to the number of your fellow tourists! If you want to come though do not let the earlier comments put you off. If you are happy to hire a car however, and do a small amount of driving there is a massive range of things to see and do within striking distance (a couple of hours say) from Southampton.

I would suggest getting a good UK guide book and having a bit of an explore.

When you get home it will give you a whole range of stories about places your friends have probably never been to.:)

The previous poster who did not like London in the summer does enjoy the countryside. The UK has beautiful landscapes and wonderful towns and villages to visit if that is your fancy over the 2 days before departure from Southampton.

As a former American though from a one horse town, I love London in the summer, but as posted avoid some of the heavily touristy areas like Oxford Street. As long as I have lived here, I still haven't seen all the sights!

So, it's horses for courses. Either way, you can't lose.

I suggest you spend the time in Southampton. We really enjoy looking around the town and you can also go to the Isle of Wight which is lovely. We always book in the day before the cruise and stay at the Premier Inn West Quay which is very central and near the dock. There really is quite a lot to see in Southampton.

The problem with our trains is that they can be very over crowded and the space for luggage is very poor.

The roads here can be difficult as if there is a traffic incident or accident you can be delayed for hours as they just shut the road. This is why we always travel the day before even though we live an hour and a half away. Sounds silly, but believe me these things happen.

Whatever you decide make sure you travel to Southampton early, don't leave it to the last minute.

:eek: We are flying to London in a few weeks and staying there for 4 nights.(with a side trip to The Cotswolds. :))

We have planned a private pick-up from our hotel at 10:00 am. Our ship leaves at 4:30pm. This is on a Wednesday mid October. Now I am worried about the traffic comment! Will we have enough time to get to the ship?

Also, assuming all goes well getting to the port, is there anything around the port to do (if we are able to board quickly and then get back off to explore for an hour or two?) I realize that we have to be back onboard 90 minutes prior to sailing. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

It was a Princess cruise out of Southampton, but we flew into London and spent a couple of days there. Than went to the station and caught the train to Southampton. I booked through MegaTrain 45 days in advance and got both my husband's and my trip there for 13 pounds. They don't do MegaTrain going back, so for just a bit more than the price of the train trip back I booked a car and then they were waiting to pick us up at the dock and we had a nice drive back to Heathrow to catch our flight home.

:eek: We are flying to London in a few weeks and staying there for 4 nights.(with a side trip to The Cotswolds. :))

We have planned a private pick-up from our hotel at 10:00 am. Our ship leaves at 4:30pm. This is on a Wednesday mid October. Now I am worried about the traffic comment! Will we have enough time to get to the ship?

Also, assuming all goes well getting to the port, is there anything around the port to do (if we are able to board quickly and then get back off to explore for an hour or two?) I realize that we have to be back onboard 90 minutes prior to sailing. ;)

Heathrow to the ship is about an hour and a half. I think that should leave you plenty of time depending on exactly where your hotel is. It won't mean anything to you now but we drive straight on at the bottom of the M3 and go into Southampton that way rather than heading West on the M27 and following the signs for the docks. It's quicker.

The West Quay shopping centre is close to the ship in Southampton.

If budget allows (get a group of you together to spread the cost?) then consider chartering a boat in the Solent if you are staying in Southampton. A motor boat allows you to cover a number of places like Cowes or Beaulieu (Bucklers Hard is lovely when accessed by the river) and can even work as a day shore excursion. Google "Solent motor boat charter" for a list of companies.

Henry :)

Thank you, Henry! Not sure that we will want to go shopping in Southampton after being in London, though. ;)

I feel sure that our transportation driver will know which route to take, but I will take notice and mention your route if he is heading the other way. :D

NorbertsNiece - That is a gorgeous photo. How lucky you are to live/work there. :) Is the photo taken from your home or office?

Edited by Iamthesea

There's always Stonehenge, Highclere House (ie Downton Abbey) and Bath that aren't too far away from Southampton, or something completely left field - there's Center Parcs at Longleat for a relaxing few days before you sail?

You will be fine and shou.d be there by noon. About 5 mins from the port is West Quay shopping mall, loads of shops and restaurants or the historic high street area. However, if it was me, once onboard I would enjoy the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You will be fine and shou.d be there by noon. About 5 mins from the port is West Quay shopping mall, loads of shops and restaurants or the historic high street area. However, if it was me, once onboard I would enjoy the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL...We have been on the ship or her sister ships many times, but we may be so exhausted from our London tour that we may well want to relax. The good news is that we have a sea day starting off and we will be able to sleep in and relax the day after embarkation. :D

Although we don't care to shop, the historic High Street district sounds interesting. ;)