Train Boston to Newark luggage ??

Jiffymom

Took that run (in reverse) in June, with carry ons, which fit in the overhead. I don't recall any baggage racks at the end of the cars. You can check bags. I don't recall anyway your bags can be out of the way enough in the standard coach car.

Train is a very popular line, coming down from Canada. It will be pretty crowded.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Husband and I will have two large bags, plus each a carry on.

Are there racks to put our bags or a under compartment. Train says no baggage .

They list bags sizes on the amtrak web site. Do they really enforce that rule.

There is some space for luggage. They do not measure bags.

Are you leaving from South station? The trick there is to arrive early enough to to engage a porter to get you on the train first so you can grab storage space and good seats. South Station also has a nice food court which is a good place to buy food. Much better choices than the cafe car on the train.

Bottom line - spend the money on the Porter. No need to buy anything but coach seats - they are very comfortable. Also, Acela is way more expensive than a Northeast regional train and only about 20 minutes faster. IMO not worth the extra money for this trip, but to each his own.

Took that run (in reverse) in June, with carry ons, which fit in the overhead. I don't recall any baggage racks at the end of the cars. You can check bags. I don't recall anyway your bags can be out of the way enough in the standard coach car.

Train is a very popular line, coming down from Canada. It will be pretty crowded.

None of the trains originating in Boston come from Canada. However the Northeast Corridor trains do go to New York, Philadelphia, and Washington among other places. They are very popular, which is why it is worth it to get on at South Station instead of Back Bay Station in Boston.

Thanks all.. And 138 still considering getting on board in Stamford ct rather than Boston. Only because you told me how pretty the drive might be from Vt. Maybe Woodstock TV to Stamford ct.

You might not get a good seat selection in Stamford and I'm pretty sure there is no porter service. However chances are folks will get off in Stamford and not as many folks will get on. People going to NYC will use the less expensive metronorth trains which go to Grand Central Station. The train will empty out and lay over in NY Penn Station for about 20 minutes, so you can stow your luggage and grab better seats at that point.

Just a word of warning. I took the train from Trenton to Boston for my cruise last month. The conductor warned me that starting in October, AMTRAK would start charging for bags over 50 LBS, like the airlines. This includes carry-on bags. I was able to confirm this via their website, clicking on the baggage policy link.

What's the difference between northeast and Acelea ? Do you prepurchase these thru Amtrak?

Yes these are Amtrak trains. The price difference is huge between Stamford and Newark. Northeast Regional is showing at $23 versus $75-100 for Acela.

What's the difference between northeast and Acelea ? Do you prepurchase these thru Amtrak?

Acela is the FAST train, the Northeast Regional is a slower train. Acela is more comfortable as well.

Not much more than 30 minutes difference on the NYC to BOS portion of the trip, though.

There is some space for luggage. They do not measure bags.

Are you leaving from South station? The trick there is to arrive early enough to to engage a porter to get you on the train first so you can grab storage space and good seats. South Station also has a nice food court which is a good place to buy food. Much better choices than the cafe car on the train.

Bottom line - spend the money on the Porter. No need to buy anything but coach seats - they are very comfortable. Also, Acela is way more expensive than a Northeast regional train and only about 20 minutes faster. IMO not worth the extra money for this trip, but to each his own.

You might not get a good seat selection in Stamford and I'm pretty sure there is no porter service. However chances are folks will get off in Stamford and not as many folks will get on. People going to NYC will use the less expensive metronorth trains which go to Grand Central Station. The train will empty out and lay over in NY Penn Station for about 20 minutes, so you can stow your luggage and grab better seats at that point.

We rode Acela round trip Boston to NYC (PENN STATION) to Boston and were happy we did. Not only did we ride Acela but first class. We certainly were not the only ones who were on the train doing the same as us.

At South Station, there is a Lounge where we could wait for our train, a red cap came to get us and took care of our luggage all the to storing it on the rack at the back of the car. We had breakfast going and lunch coming home, it was a quiet car with comfortable seats and I think (?) Wifi. Drinks were included and we had fewer stops along the route than the regular train.

I would do it again.

Edited by sail7seas

We rode Acela round trip Boston to NYC (PENN STATION) to Boston and were happy we did. Not only did we ride Acela but first class. We certainly were not the only ones who were on the train doing the same as us.

At South Station, there is a Lounge where we could wait for our train, a red cap came to get us and took care of our luggage all the to storing it on the rack at the back of the car. We had breakfast going and lunch coming home, it was a quiet car with comfortable seats and I think (?) Wifi. Drinks were included and we had fewer stops along the route than the regular train.

I would do it again.

First class on Acela is certainly nice. However, a quick price check during a non peak time frame show it costs 4 times the price of a Northeast Regional coach between Boston and New York and is a bit faster.

For folks who are watching their budget, there is no reason not to consider a coach seat. Not as plush as first class, but comfortable seats two across with ample leg room and fold down tables. Amtrak also offers free wifi, quiet cars (no cell phones), and cafe service.