Icy Strait. New micro-brewery near Hoonah. Good beer, Amazing view.

Janet987

Thanks to the excellent naturalist on Celebrity, Dirk Youngerman, we were alerted to the 'real' village of Hoonah where he lived a summer, the carving project and a new micro-brewery open only two weeks. I may be the first reviewer to recommend Icy Strait Brewing. Please stop in to see the shop and brewery on your way to town, even if you don't particularly like beer (me) or do and know something about various microbrews (my recent college grad DD). The two owners Dan and Todd were interesting, helpful with samples and descriptions, and took pains to renovate Hoonah's oldest building into their little brewery on the road close to town. http://www.icystraitbrewing.com The deck out back has an amazing harbor view and one of the best family photos on the trip was taken with its misty but bright backdrop.

Off tender, we first walked the peaceful beach, then around the stunning forest trail near the tender dock, and later walked to town. After the beer stop, continued to the carving project...very interesting and both men working that day were so patient and informative... the best native Tlingit art, history and culture project seen on the trip. We enjoyed the quiet little village, and as others have written, the residents are hospitable and not a jewerly/tourist store in sight. We checked out the cannery museum before returning on tender to the ship. Note if tendering is an issue, a dock is being built now..maybe done next summer? Not a shopper, I barely noticed the stores at the port, but they are locally owned shops and worth a visit. Even though not into zip-lines or shopping, Icy Strait was delightfully different from the other touristy towns on the cruise itinerary. Maybe my view was influenced by the good beer, but our day in Hoonah was great, even with rain.

I'm hoping you can tell me more about "the stunning forest trail." E.g. how long is it? Is it fairly easy? (We're in our 80's.) Is it more memorable/stunning than other such trails at the various Alaska ports (and excursions from those ports)? We're not at all interested in breweries (have done several times before, just no interest anymore), or museums, and definitely not shopping. We like being in nature, taking handsome walks, etc. We'd be doing the whale watch thing in other ports, so don't want to keep doing same in every port.

Trip (if we decide to book this 14 day cruise) is next mid-May. We've been to Alaska before, though not to this port. (Prince Rupert and Wrangell would be new to us as well.)

Thank you.

Agree that we LOVED Icy Strait and Hoonah. I've got nothing but respect for what the residents have done there and Yay!! NO Diamonds International!

We also LOVE Icy Strait. They are definitely doing it in a way..that is so different from any Alaskan port. Just a wonderful place. I've been there twice....but can't wait to return next year!icon7.gif

Edited by cruizinator

Poss,

Here is the website from the local company that manages the Icy Strait facilities.

http://www.icystraitpoint.com

Thought they might have photos of the walk or a map, but if you emailed the contact there, they would be happy to send you more info. The trail just went along the shore, past the base of the zip line, then into the forest. Not hilly, paved, easy loops back to main buildings, maybe a mile? It does look like other rain forest trials with tall trees, that magical undergrowth look, esp in the early mist. They definitely discourage heading into wilder forest off this simple path unless armed...more bears per sq mile on this island than others. Private bear watch excursions can be arranged, but must do in advance and meet out at the gate to ISP. Other activities available are listed on their website, maybe kayak?

The walk to town is 1.5 miles along a wide sidewalk along water side. Rocks, trees, and small waterfall on the other side, barely any traffic. There is one good hill, and the road at that point was being renovated. There is a shuttle back and forth to town though we enjoyed that walk along the shore as well.

Edited by Janet987

Thank you so much for the info -- we're cruising in less than two weeks -- we'll definitely stop in!!

Great! here's some more info about them and what it took to renovate that place and get supplies in place.

http://www.alaskapublic.org/2015/08/15/can-we-call-it-hoo-brew-new-brewery-opens-in-hoonah/

Would have liked to open earlier in the tourist season, so good to know there are still more sailings that will stop in Hoonah. Millenium had only one southbound left before repositioning.

Norwegian Jewel will be in Icy Point Strait Friday Sept. 25th. If the brewery is still open, we'll be on that cruise and we'd love to check it out. Thanks for posting. Sounds unique. Wonder if they are planning to operate year round, or just during tourist season?

I'm hoping you can tell me more about "the stunning forest trail." E.g. how long is it? Is it fairly easy? (We're in our 80's.)......
It is an easy walk, first along the waterfront, where there are benches where you can stop to rest, or just sit looking out at the water to enjoy the view, with good chances to see wildlife.

Whales are often spotted in this area, but not always.

20120604-8850.jpg

Then the trail turns inland up a hill and goes through the pine forest; I would guess it's about half a mile loop trail.

The "hardest" part there would be the first section walking a short distance uphill, but after that for the rest of the way it is level or downward sloping.

It ends up by a restaurant/bar near the bottom of the zipline, where you can sit and watch the zipline riders coming down.

For those with mobility problems, or who just don't want to walk, you can purchase tickets to take a tram ride instead.

634367581175657438__R7K3848.jpg

Great! here's some more info about them and what it took to renovate that place and get supplies in place.

http://www.alaskapublic.org/2015/08/15/can-we-call-it-hoo-brew-new-brewery-opens-in-hoonah/

Would have liked to open earlier in the tourist season, so good to know there are still more sailings that will stop in Hoonah. Millenium had only one southbound left before repositioning.

Great article! Even more excited to try it :)

Sea Saw, we're on the same sailing -- maybe we'll see you there! ;)

Norwegian Jewel will be in Icy Point Strait Friday Sept. 25th. If the brewery is still open, we'll be on that cruise and we'd love to check it out. Thanks for posting. Sounds unique. Wonder if they are planning to operate year round, or just during tourist season?

Plans are it will brew year-round year for the village of Hoonah, it is independent of the company that runs the ISP facilities near the tender dock.

The owner said there are now construction crews in town and it is planned that work on the new ship dock will continue all winter, so that may help sales in the off -season.

We were told the plan is to have the dock completed by next summer, which is located not far from the tender dock and only consisted of a few pilings. Let's just say that is an ambitious timeline. There was no work going on but it was Labor Day.

We had no problem tendering, they only allow one ship in port. We were cleared early, so the tenders were opened to everyone. Just hopped on the lifeboat when we were ready, it's a short distance to dock.

I have to mention that Celebrity- is the winner, by far for the top ship naturalists, both Brent and Dirk are long standing with so much knowledge and experience. I met Dirk, at least 15 years ago, then caught up with him, in Skagway at the laundry. :) He hooked me up with Keith of Teckk Outfitters- who's become a superb tour operator. Lots of stories I have, but won't take up message board space.

The third- highly respected, top notch naturalist- in my opinion is Michelle on Carnival- who's also a friend of Dirk. :)

OP, thanks for posting this. I have some interest in Craft Breweries and my son is very interested, so this goes to the top of our to-do list in ISP.

We will be there next July and travelling with some mobility limited people, how far and how difficult a walk would you say this is. Also, are there signs pointing the way? I've been to ISP once before, but didn't go into town, is it safe to walk along the road, are there sidewalks???

TIA for any additional information you can provide.

OP, thanks for posting this. I have some interest in Craft Breweries and my son is very interested, so this goes to the top of our to-do list in ISP.

We will be there next July and travelling with some mobility limited people, how far and how difficult a walk would you say this is. Also, are there signs pointing the way? I've been to ISP once before, but didn't go into town, is it safe to walk along the road, are there sidewalks???

TIA for any additional information you can provide.

From the current tender dock- it's a LONG walk into "town", 1+mile, "sidewalks" aren't what you think.

There is a shuttle bus for a small fee.

I didn't note where the new dock is going to be, likely near the current tender dock- to keep the Icy Strait "compound" intact?

there aren't going to be "signs pointing the way". Only one way to go.

Here is the map of the ISP "compound" http://www.icystraitpoint.com/AboutUs/Map

The new dock was around #11, the Landing Grill, so "around the point" from the tender dock (the red one). Mispoke the last time, it was not Labor Day but the Monday before, still no activity when we went by;) that area. The paved nature trail loop is listed as a half mile, but if you walk along the shore path and then walk back out to gate, it could add up to a mile.

#17 is where you get the shuttle to Hoonah, which I would recommend for anyone with mobility issues! There is only one road (to the right from the tender dock) It is 1.5 miles to Hoonah, with a somewhat steep climb up and over a ridge. There was a wide paved path/sidewalk (photos on Google Earth show it was unpaved gravel before), wide enough for three people walking abreast and bikes until that hill. Hill was still under construction, so that was gravelly and a bit slippery in rain. With luck that section will also be completed next spring, but it is still a hill and then the wider paved sidewalk pettered out near town. Even that is not a safety issue since there is almost no traffic, but that section too might be hard for anyone with mobility issues.

The tram drops you off right in town near the carving project building, so you have to back-track maybe five minutes to get back to the brewery at 155 Front Street. Think the tram was $5 pp, and we ended up taking a local taxi back to ISP(heavy downpour at that point), charged us $20 for 4 people. Taxis cannot go into the ISP complex, he dropped us at gate. Maybe he can pick up at gate too and take you directly to brewery? Easy to see how all this fits together on Google map/Earth view. One dock complex, one road, one small village :D

Icy Strait Brewing also has a FaceBook page, so they may update that more than the website linked in post 1. There is more info on Hoonah on TripAdvisor, with other attractions recommended, inc. some private outfitters not ship vendors.

Photos of the Brewery: https://www.facebook.com/IcyStraitBrewing/photos_stream

Edited by Janet987