Next Cruise Certificate Worthless!!

mynyddisamrs

Rant of the Day....

we had purchased a Next Cruise Certificate aboard Adventure of the Seas in 2013 ..only for £75 I know, but it is the principle of the matter😟

Finally we have booked again with RCCI for 2016 to celebrate a "significant " Birthday but having booked through a TA we couldn't redeem the certificate.

At time of purchase we were told we could always get our £75 back if we didn't use it and we did not read the small print😧

On contacting RCCI, hoping we could at least get £75 on board credit on what may well be our last cruise, we were told that is not possible. We can gift the certificate or use on another cruise I.e ...we can leave it in our will perhaps?

RCCI have had our £ for a few years, earning interest!

Surely they would benefit by giving it back as onboard credit...we would spend more than that onboard for sure!!

Very bad customer service and PR methinks. We will start our 2016 cruise on a very sour note...all for the want of £75 OBC or a refund.

Shame on you Royal Caribbean.

Rant over.... :eek:

Not sure why you can't use the certificate. We have always been able to whether we booked directly or through a TA. What reason did they give for not being able to use it?

Julie

My experience also, I think it's shame on the TA not RCI

The travel Agent said they cannot accept it as we got the cruise price on a special deal. RCI also said this. So.....how do we get our £ back if we cannot cruise with them again? That is the Q!

That's the TA, not rci. You can use it by using a ta that does not book you as part of a group. Read the terms and conditions on your ncc, its not worthless, just has to be used under the conditions stated

Edited by setsail

I've used next cruise certificate several times. The only thing that makes sense to me is that I give them my TA's name and number at the time of purchasing the certificate. Never had any trouble at all. I did ask to have the on board credit on my next cruise certificate and not on the present cruise and that's on record. I don't know what went wrong with you.

Sharon I

Never had an issue using these certificates on any cruise, regardless of the 'deal' and I don't believe we have ever taken a 'full price' cruise.

Maybe it's an issue with overseas booking versus US booking, but this doesn't make sense to me.

All the certificate does is reduce the amount of the deposit when you book a cruise and the amount of OBC. It doesn't alter the price of the cruise at all.

I would discuss with the TA again since the certificate has nothing to do with the price of the cruise. It sounds like the TA is not handling correctly IMO.

I've just looked at the UK site and according to the terms and conditions of the current buy one get one half price offer it is combinable with future cruise certificates bought onboard. Is your deal something different?

It should state on your certificate anything that it is not combinable with. As long as RCL are not going against this why should they refund your money. If you really are not going to use the certificate in the future can you not gift it to family or friends who cruise?

Julie

So.....how do we get our £ back if we cannot cruise with them again? That is the Q!

The problem that you have here is that they are non-refundable.

Now, there's a trick that people have used in the US to get refunds on them with some degree of success. It may or may not work for you, especially since you're in the UK and the rules are likely to be somewhat different.

The problem is that open-bookings (NCCs not converted to a particular ship and sail date) are non-refundable. It used to be that once you did choose a particular cruise, then it was no longer an open-booking and RCI reps would then allow refunds.

Aren't deposits with RCI in the UK generally non-refundable anyway, even on regular bookings? If that's the case, then I think you're stuck.

Am trying again with the TA but methinks to no avail😧

This will be I'm sure..one for the "Learn from your mistakes" file.:o

Which offer have you actually booked under. If its just a standard RCL, one all the terms and conditions can be found on the UK site. It makes no difference that you have booked through a TA, the OBC is coming from RCL and should be in addition to anything you get with the offer as long as it is combinable.

Julie

A TA I believe has to accept the Future Cruise Certificate per their terms and conditions with Royal. I used an FCC for our upcoming cruise and we have $150 in onboard credits and reduced deposits. In addition we used the certificate in conjunction with the buy one get one half off.

Were in the US so I'm sorry but I'm not sure how this works in the UK.

Am trying again with the TA but methinks to no avail😧

This will be I'm sure..one for the "Learn from your mistakes" file.:o

Then you really need a new TA!

You can always cancel with him/her and rebook directly with RCCL using the certificate....then within 60 days transfer to another TA.

We use the certificates every cruise, they save you deposit funds and give you OBC, what's to dislike???

It's your TA man!

I have never had a problem using a NCC with a TA, but maybe it is different in the UK.

I was about to say the exact same thing as above....TA has always accepted them when we booked with them, regardless of the sale they are offering. You just have to tell them right away when booking because they already have a booking number assigned to each certificate. It would not be possible to add it later to a booking, you would have to cancel and re-book the cruise. Sorry your travel agent gave you bad info.

The travel Agent said they cannot accept it as we got the cruise price on a special deal. RCI also said this. So.....how do we get our £ back if we cannot cruise with them again? That is the Q!

Basically you can't get a refund nor credit as other have said.

Did you check out what your cruise would have cost using a cruise fare that allowed you to use your NCC? ;)

We booked our next two cruises in $CAD as the price in our currency was so much better than if we had booked in $US thus couldn't use the NCC deposits we had in $US.

We saved about $175CAD each per cruise or about $700 by doing so.

Yes we didn't get the $100US OBC these older NCC deposits would have given us on each cruise or about $220CAD in total since we were able to replace this $200US OBC for $220CAD with the special promotion we Canadian who have booked in $CAD are able to get. In fact we bought $1000US OBC for each cruise which saved us approximately $500CAD.

We are still ahead by $480CAD and have the two $US NCC for our future cruises.

Even if these two NCC are never used by us we're out only another $200US or $270CAD with the low value of our $ currently so are still way better off. :)

Edited by robtulipe