Reflections on Deck 4 Odyssey Class

stamfordian

Have done many cruises on the Little Sisters - always on Deck 4 - and three on Odyssey and Quest - always in V suites.

Considering a possible T/A crossing next year. Have done on QM2 in August with a balcony which we didn't use once and on Spirit in an A1. Have a question for those who can answer from experience, not hearsay.

How noisy is Deck 4 on the O Class ships, given proximity to galley and MDR, plus access to the lifts of those leaving the MDR at night? A1 seems logical choice from perspective of economy plus fact that crossings are either very early or late season when the use of a verandah is likely to be very limited. Also - obviously - preferred in the event of lumpy seas.

Have heard various comments from others who have had friends who have sailed low down, but would like to hear from some who actually have.

Thanks in advance.

We have sailed several times in A1 and recently in an A. They are absolutely fine, quieter than higher up as you have your own 'corridor' outside, with no one opposite. No noise from lifts or the dining room. The only one we did not like was on the starboard side, in an A1, where you appear to be above a staff staircase going down, and we did hear occasional banging of a door. Recommend the A1, about 426, 28 or 30, on the port side.

Not an adjoining suite,or the back one which we were told by occupants was not as well set out - I think it is a possible 3 bed.

Obviously as they are forward on the ship you might notice more noise or movement if the sea is rough. That does not bother us, but we do not do TAs.

Just got off the Quest in an A1.

Definitely less movement than the higher floors. There were several days where we didn't notice movement until we went up to 7 or 8 to get to the back of the ship.

Noise : we were third suite from the MDR and never any noise whatsoever from the MDR or from people leaving the MDR.

We were on starboard side and there was noise during the night as lincslady has said. I tried to work out what was causing it but didn't come to any real conclusion. There appeared to be more this morning on departure day so what lincslady has said about staff movements may be true. The noise worried me on the first night but after that either I got used to it, I was so tired from the late nights, I had drunk too much or it simply wasn't there on those nights.

We chose the A1, one to try it out to see what we thought and two, we thought it was going to be cold and wouldn't use the balcony much. Turned out to be hot and would have used it more on the first few days. It was windy the last few days so probably would not have used it then.

In conclusion I would not hesitate in getting an A1 again.

Ps. The window is better than I expected. I thought it would fog over, salt up or something the like being closer to the water but it was always clear. And being closer to the water gives a different perspective while cruising.

Edited by ab21au

We were in cabin 432 (category A1) on Sojourn for a two-week cruise to the Norwegian fjords. The cabin location was excellent and we heard no noise from the MDR or from public corridors, or staff stairwells. As others have mentioned, A1 cabins are along their own corridor, separate from the main hallway leading to/from the rear entrance of the dining room, so there is little foot traffic other than "local residents."

On a transat, chances are you won't be using a balcony quite as much as you might on a warmer weather cruise. Plus the sail on Deck 4 is much smoother than higher up. If having a balcony isn't important to you, go for an A1, as close to midship as possible.

Enjoy your cruise.

The window is better than I expected. I thought it would fog over, salt up or something the like being closer to the water but it was always clear. And being closer to the water gives a different perspective while cruising.

Great to hear this. I've never had an A/A1 before but decided to give it a whirl for the transatlantic. I was most worried about missing light/view but really only ever use my veranda during sail-in/sail-away so decided it wasn't going to get much sea day use when I'd rather be reading or imbibing in a public space!

I don't think you will regret it but I would go A1 not A. And what's the worst that can happen, you spend more time in Seabourn Square, Observation Lounge, the Club or by the pool getting served drinks - not a bad alternative.

We spent 21 days in the Mediterranean last summer in 419 on Sojourn (category A1).

The suite was around the corner from the corridor leading to the MDR. Very smooth sailing, and very quiet, EXCEPT for those mornings when we dropped anchor for a port. On our cruise, that was almost every morning.

We are fairly early risers, so the loud, clanking noise simply became our daily wake-up call. This wouldn't be an issue on a TA. As a previous poster mentioned, the window is large and clear.

We liked the quiet location of 419 and would choose it again for a TA, when we wouldn't be likely to use a veranda.

Am glad to read all the (mostly) positive comments about the A1's as we have 423 booked for Antarctica. With so much time spent on deck, we figured we wouldn't miss the veranda too much and I, for one, know that being on a low deck will make me happy if we encounter rough seas which are always a possibility on that cruise.