what is the best way to avoid pickpockets

forestfox

Now many have mentioned leaving passports on the ship. If one is in Spain, that is not a great idea as most Spanish ports require your passport to gain access.

Not true at all. You DO NOT need a passport when visiting a Spanish port via cruise ship. I have never taken my passport with me on visits to almost all Mediterranean ports I have been to, including Spain. The passport was left in the stateroom safe.

Edited by sloopsailor

Not true at all. You DO NOT need a passport when visiting a Spanish port via cruise ship. I have never taken my passport with me on visits to almost all Mediterranean ports I have been to, including Spain. The passport was left in the stateroom safe.

Ditto :)

I always stitch an extra pocket to the inside waistband of DH's pants. This pocket is big enough to carry credit cards, some cash, and is placed in such a manner that anyone wanting to pick his pocket is going to have to get up close and personal with him in order to do it.

I always wear a small cross-body bag over my t shirt or tank, and put a light shirt or cardigan type sweater over top. That way the bag isn't easily accessible to prying hands. I usually try to wear the bag so that it is between DH and I as we are walking. Someone is going to have to come right between us if they want to try to get it. So far it hasn't been worth the hassle to pick-pockets.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I am a big fan of the scottevest too, but not in hot weather. There we use hidden pockets inside our clothing.

I agree. I've looked at the Scottevests for several years now in catalogs but recently had the opportunity to try one on (in an airport store). It was very heavy! Can't imagine wearing that (plus all the stuff you'd load in it) in warm weather.

The original poster is doing a 5 day closed loop cruise on Royal Caribbean out of FLL with port stops in Labadee and Falmouth. You will not need to take your passport into either port so leave your passport in the safe.

• Labadee is the private island so all you will need is your ship card and a small amount of cash for small souvenirs.

• Falmouth is a manufactured port built just for cruise ships. You will not need to bring your passport ashore and you will need a little bit of money for souvenirs.

I tend to do the strategy of putting small bills in an accessible pocket (less than $20) that I can easily pull out for purchases such as sodas, postcards, etc. If I decide I want to purchase a larger item I will stash bills in a much less accessible place and will pull them out away from a crowd in a quiet place.

In Falmouth, the manufactured port with its small shops is closed off to the numerous vendors outside. While the shops inside had nice sales people who did not hassle anyone, the small town outside was an issue. I wanted to see the historic buildings, but during the short walk around we were busy telling lots of locals that we did not want a guide and that we did not want to buy anything. Be prepared for that or buy a guided tour with a certified guide beforehand.

I did not feel, however, that anyone wanted to pick my pockets.

When we ventured out of ports in Spain on our own. There was a checkpoint to pass through where we had to show both our ship's card and our passport to gain access. Now it may have been possible (probably was) to get back in without the passport, but I know we did see one couple that were forced to step aside and wait because they did not have their passports with them. My theory is that I would rather carry and not need it than to need it and have it back in the safe in my stateroom.

When we ventured out of ports in Spain on our own. There was a checkpoint to pass through where we had to show both our ship's card and our passport to gain access. Now it may have been possible (probably was) to get back in without the passport, but I know we did see one couple that were forced to step aside and wait because they did not have their passports with them. My theory is that I would rather carry and not need it than to need it and have it back in the safe in my stateroom.

The daily information sheet or port information will ALWAYS tell you whether your passport is needed or not. I do not carry mine if it is not required. My theory is I'd rather not be at risk for having it stolen or lost when I don't absolutely need to have it on my person.

By the way, in the event we take our passports off the ship in Europe (Villefranche, Livorno, Rome, Salerno, Venice, Kotor) does anyone know if there is a possibility to get the passport stamped?

(Maybe belongs on another thread, but the concept just hit me! [emoji41])

By the way, in the event we take our passports off the ship in Europe (Villefranche, Livorno, Rome, Salerno, Venice, Kotor) does anyone know if there is a possibility to get the passport stamped?

Not likely. Spain, France and Italy are all Schengen countries so there will not be a passport control point for the ship when you dock. I suppose you could maybe hunt someone down but it would be a pain and would take time away from your limited time in each port. If you want "proof" that you were there then sign a postcard and mail it home to yourself.

Just a reminder that since you are arriving on a cruise ship you don't need to carry your passports to visit those areas.

On our last trip we each wore a ScottEvest - they make jackets too. These vests are very stylish and have lots of pockets on the inside and look good even when fully loaded with stuff. This meant we could carry our wallets, phones, boarding passes, tissues, glasses, camera etc etc without ever needing a handbag. There are lots of 'hidden' pockets for extra security and sneaky lipstick and memory card pockets. When ever we had to go through a security check point it was a simple matter to take the vest off and pass it through the scanner rather than unloading the pockets. We purchased a vest each as we travelled in summer, and now will be purchasing a jacket each for when we travel in cooler months.

In the past we have used money belts etc, but found these vests to be so much more comfortable and practical.

The passport rules for Spain seem to be rather vague.

What is the case in Spain (and many other European countries) is that a police officer can demand to see government-issued ID. Sometimes they will accept a photographic driving license, but on one cruise all IDs were being checked/verified by police and the only ID they would accept was a passport.

Regarding pickpockets - I use pacsafe anti-theft travel bags. Google for pacsafe.

VP

Edited by Vampire Parrot

I am a firm believer in not keeping my important stuff not in one place. I carry two wallets and a belt with hidden compartment. My show wallet is a Pacsafe wallet with a chain. I like this wallet because it reduces both accidental loss and theft. I carry this wallet in my front pocket and attach the chain to my belt just above the pocket. The chain is barley noticeable this way. My other wallet that I don't show in public is small front pocket wallet (Original Taxi Wallet). I keep this wallet in the "secret pocket" of my Tilley Endurable pants, yes they make clothing besides hats. This secret pocket is big enough for a wallet and passport but I only carry my passport in this pocket in the airport or traveling to the hotel. On shore excursions I leave my passport in the safe on board. These pants are not cheap but they travel very well. If I don't wear my Tilley pants I would use a money belt.

In my show wallet I carry enough money for the day as well as 1 credit card and drivers license. In my hidden wallet I have another credit card and some spare money. I keep my seapass in this wallet too. I also keep a credit card locked in the safe of the hotel or on the ship. If you find you and your spouse have the same numbers on your credit cards take at least one each with different numbers in case of theft or if the card is canceled either by you or the credit card company. Keep the different number card in the safe. This way you will both have a usable credit card.

Finally in my hidden belt compartment store a copy of my passport, drivers license, insurance card, as well as emergency contact numbers and some emergency money.

Shak

I agree. I've looked at the Scottevests for several years now in catalogs but recently had the opportunity to try one on (in an airport store). It was very heavy! Can't imagine wearing that (plus all the stuff you'd load in it) in warm weather.

Try the ScottEVest shirts with hidden pockets. They only make them for men, but there's no reason a woman could not wear a men's polo shirt with 3 hidden pockets. There is also a 3 pocket camp shirt with hidden pockets in the seams that are closed by means of a hidden zipper These are very lightweight, made of very high quality material, wash well and are perfect for hot weather travel. The vest is good for low moderate to cool weather. The ladies cardigan also has hidden pockets and is fairly lightweight.

I do wonder what women load into their purses and backpacks for touring in Europe? What I have on me in hidden pockets and in my shoes are:

2 credit cards

100 Euros divided among several locations

1 lipstick

1 packet of tissues

2 Benadryl pills

Copy of my passport front page

I find the above items to be all that I need for a whole day of touring as bottled water is easy to buy everywhere and we go to lunch in a restaurant or buy snacks along the way. I have most items we buy shipped to my house. I don't typically take a camera as I would rather experience my trip while I am there and I find most photos I would have taken are actually available on the internet. But if I did take a camera, it would be a very small one.

So, I'm just curious, for those of you who carry a purse or backpack while touring in Europe, what do you put in it?

Try the ScottEVest shirts with hidden pockets. They only make them for men, but there's no reason a woman could not wear a men's polo shirt with 3 hidden pockets. There is also a 3 pocket camp shirt with hidden pockets in the seams that are closed by means of a hidden zipper These are very lightweight, made of very high quality material, wash well and are perfect for hot weather travel. The vest is good for low moderate to cool weather. The ladies cardigan also has hidden pockets and is fairly lightweight.

I do wonder what women load into their purses and backpacks for touring in Europe? What I have on me in hidden pockets and in my shoes are:

2 credit cards

100 Euros divided among several locations

1 lipstick

1 packet of tissues

2 Benadryl pills

Copy of my passport front page

I find the above items to be all that I need for a whole day of touring as bottled water is easy to buy everywhere and we go to lunch in a restaurant or buy snacks along the way. I have most items we buy shipped to my house. I don't typically take a camera as I would rather experience my trip while I am there and I find most photos I would have taken are actually available on the internet. But if I did take a camera, it would be a very small one.

So, I'm just curious, for those of you who carry a purse or backpack while touring in Europe, what do you put in it?

Thanks, I'll have a look at them.

When I'm touring from the ship in Europe (let's say for a full day), I will have:

--small camera

--small wallet with only $$ for that day's use, zipped into side compartment (unless I feel the area is a big pickpocketing risk, in which case my money will be elsewhere...)

--glasses case (I wear glasses for distance and need to have both prescription sunglasses and regular glasses available)

--my notes and directions for whatever places we are visiting that day; sometimes a small guidebook

--small hairbrush

--lip balm

--lightweight rain jacket (rolled) or umbrella

--water (even after you buy it, you have to carry it somewhere....I only drink a little at a time)

--Powerbar or other small snack (if I'm going somewhere like an archaeological site that may not have food nearby)

--a small cotton scarf -- great for many uses

--small pill box with an assortment of advil, Sudafed, immodium

--a few band-aids

--small notebook (4x6") and pen for taking any notes

--cell phone (depending on possible need)

--ship postcard with picture (great for communicating in places where English isn't spoken and you are trying to get back to port) and ship daily sheet with port agent contact info

Depending on where I am going, I may also have an extra pair of socks (for visiting mosques), lightweight gloves if the weather is cold, etc.

This will all fit in my trusty lightweight Kipling cross-body bag.

Edited by cruisemom42