Drink Package Question

rollie

It's a personal decision. We go to Cellar Masters every day and tip the Sommelier at the end of the cruise. Same with the Sommelier at dinner if we have the same one most of the time, but at dinner we often buy a bottle of wine that has the 18% gratuity added to the price of the wine.

For a casual glass of wine at the buffet we don't tip.

We will be cruising with the Classic Drink Package for the first time. We also have our tips pre-paid. I was wondering if we still need to tip the sommelier. Thanks for any help.

Rollie

If he gives you extra wonderful service I would. Unfortunately the sommelier has many tables to cover in the main dining room and is spread thin.

Tipping is very personal. Do you "need" to tip them? No. I think extra

tipping is if you "want" to....If you are pre-paying your tips, you don't

"need to" tip anyone extra......if you want to? That is a totally different

thing.

We didn't have a package this time. First night in Murano we paid $33 for TWO glasses of wine. Did we tip extra .... !!!!! ???

We then purchased a seven bottle package for $294 aprox $42 a bottle for average wine ... did we tip extra ... !!!!! ????

At least sailing out of UK there wasn't the extra 18% added.

I've always found the sommeliers in Cellar Masters and the MDR are so good that I want to tip them at the end of the cruise. I use the cabin stationary to write a little note of appreciation and insert it along with cash in an envelope, then distribute the envelopes on the last day.

We didn't have a package this time. First night in Murano we paid $33 for TWO glasses of wine. Did we tip extra .... !!!!! ???

We then purchased a seven bottle package for $294 aprox $42 a bottle for average wine ... did we tip extra ... !!!!! ????

At least sailing out of UK there wasn't the extra 18% added.

Yes, but isn't the 18% built into the price of the wine? Just curious.

Yes ... I think the prices for drinks reflects the added tax on UK sailings.

The classic package also gives an increased allowance per glass of wine,beer and cocktails. Bar prices seem very expensive when you compare to P&O sailings.

I do think the drinks prices are raised to make the packages appear to be better value. However if it's not included then £1000 for two people for a two week cruise makes you really think about how much you want to spend on drinks.

By pre paying you will almost certainly be out to get value for money and be tempted to order that second/third glass ... Well it's 'free' then isn't it!

We drank just as we would on any other ship ... We ordered our wine by the bottle and saved what we didn't finish in the dining room. We had a few pre dinner cocktails and a couple of after dinner drinks. We didn't even come close to spending half of the pre package price. Best part ... We now don't have to spend three months trying to get our livers back to health and can still enjoy the odd glass of wine.

If the Classic package was obtained as a freebie, do the bartenders that mix your cocktails get anything of any "pre-paid tips"? If I understand correctly, there is no receipt at all, so I was thinking of tipping a dollar or two cash when served.

So is it ok to give the staff/waiters etc cash tips during the cruise or while you are being served? I don't want to get anyone in trouble:)

Yes, this is done all the time. In the past I've tipped in cash for the free drinks at Elite happy hour. Also, I always give a small cash tip when I ask a waiter to bring me a water.