What do yout only eat on a cruise.......

lahlah57

If they save a half penny a bowl, and they serve 500 bowls per day that would be 5 dollars a day per ship which is 90.00 per day fleet wide or $32,000.00 per year. Add to that the other 82 ships owned by Carnival Corp and you are up to 18,250,000 bowls per year or a savings of $91,250.00. Imagine what the tips add up to.. I don't have much to do on a Sunday. ]happy cruising

Hey TAG,

I think you need to take your shoes and socks off :)

Pete

Edited by Enforcer

My big splurge is French toast...love it...but don't eat bread at home. Also anything different, duck, alligator, conch, frog legs. I'll try anything once and cruising gives you that option...if you don't like it order something else, on land you are stuck with it.

Hot breakfast. At home, due to time constraints, breakfast is usually toast, banana and milk. Even on my days off, I don't go to the trouble of making eggs, bacon, waffles, pancakes, whatever. Takes too much time! I love to get a big, super-filled omelet on the ships....or a burrito from the Iguana!

I'm so surprised to read how many have bagels, smoked salmon, capers and cream cheese as a treat on the ships. That is so readily available in every grocery store in my area. Almost every market sells bagels, packages of smoked salmon in every major market, certain cream cheese and capers......

It confuses me why folks don't have it at home, seeing they like it. It isn't like it's hard to make. Toast a bagel and done. :)

I'm so surprised to read how many have bagels, smoked salmon, capers and cream cheese as a treat on the ships. That is so readily available in every grocery store in my area. Almost every market sells bagels, packages of smoked salmon in every major market, certain cream cheese and capers......

It confuses me why folks don't have it at home, seeing they like it. It isn't like it's hard to make. Toast a bagel and done. :)

I know of only one local supermarket that carries cured salmon, costs over $50 per pound. I must have tried 7 brands of bagels before I found one that I liked. The original question was "What do you only eat on a cruise that you could just as easily buy and eat at home." There is nothing just as easily bought and eaten at home, that is one of the attractions of cruising - no grocery shopping, no food preparation, and no clean up.

Escargot, prosciutto and cream cheese sandwich.

The latter was something I discovered in Europe in Positano. I was on an excursion and hadn't eaten breakfast. I went in a small café and the only thing on the menu board I could read was ham and cheese.....I actually do make this at home occasionally and we laugh about it every time.

Speaking of pork and beans, I love them but didn't see them start being available on Carnival ships until after the Freedoms Europe season in 2007. I was on that ship and prior to getting on the ship we had a layover in London where we had breakfast.

I ordered a farmers breakfast and it came with that horrible flabby bacon (I think they call them rashers), pork n beans, eggs and a roasted tomato. I asked John Heald about it and he said that was an extremely popular breakfast in the UK. The whole of the UK was in an uproar over the discontinuation of some kind of ketchup like condiment used on the breakfast, I think it was something called brown sauce.

Edited by okgirl

Escargot because it's not readily available and I would NEVER try to cook it at home. I seldom get a full breakfast and could easily do this now, since I'm retired, but don't. On a cruise ship, I LOVE breakfast and eat everything in sight. My daughter is grown so I was amazed when she fell in love with Nutella on our first trip to Europe and our first Med cruise. She had it EVERY morning. When we got home, I bought Nutella. She ate it once and it just sat there. On the next Med cruise, she was like a kid at Disney to find the Nutella for breakfast every morning. I reminded her that we not only can get Nutella at home, but that i BOUGHT Nutella for her. She said, "It's not the same." She was very disappointed that there was no Nutella to be found on our last cruise (in the Caribbean).

.......that you could just as easily buy and eat at home?

For myself, being an american, the pork and beans at breakfast buffet service always amused me. I asked someone what the deal was with this? They told me that the Australians have beans on toast for breakfast. Now, that was a few cruises ago and to this day.....that is a breakfast staple for me on every cruise. Beans on toast and I forgo that awful vat of tasteless scrambled eggs! :rolleyes:

Could be easily done at home but this outrageously simple item is my cruise special.

What's yours?

I like to try new stuff and always look to see what others are eating.

I saw a young hispanic couple both eating pork and beans on their eggs a few cruises back. (I have no idea where they were from, could've been Nebraska for all I know. So that may or may not be a cultural breakfast dish.)

I tried it the next morning. I didn't personally care for it, but the pork and beans wasn't that good and I think you know how the eggs are on a cruise ship. I've been tempted to try it at home whenever I see pork and beans at the store.

I'm seeing a lot of love for escargot.

I'm trying to work up the courage to try escargot on my next cruise...but I don't know. I'm sure if I didn't know they were snails I would love them. But, alas, I always think of the slimy things in my garden.

So, maybe someone can help me out. How are they usually prepared on cruise ships? (I'm sailing NCL if that matters) Can you describe what they taste like? And most importantly, will I have to dig them out of their shells? :o

That could be a deal breaker. Hahaha!!

I'm trying to work up the courage to try escargot on my next cruise...but I don't know. I'm sure if I didn't know they were snails I would love them. But, alas, I always think of the slimy things in my garden.

So, maybe someone can help me out. How are they usually prepared on cruise ships? (I'm sailing NCL if that matters) Can you describe what they taste like? And most importantly, will I have to dig them out of their shells? :o

I tried them for the first time last cruise. I would not have ordered them at a regular restaurant because I don't want to pay for something I am not sure about. However, we ended up getting 2 orders. They are not that bad. I wouldn't go out and order on my own but in December I'll be back on the Magic and will order again. They are covered in pesto and you don't have to dig them out of their shells.

Try it! You just might like them.

On NCL they are found in Le Bistro as an appetizer. They are baked in an escargot plate, not shells. Each fat and tasty little snail in it's own little hole, covered in butter and garlic. Yum. I have heard that they are also on some of the MDR menus on the Away class ships, cooked differently, but I did not see them on the Getaway.

Edited by redfantum

I tried them for the first time last cruise. I would not have ordered them at a regular restaurant because I don't want to pay for something I am not sure about. However, we ended up getting 2 orders. They are not that bad. I wouldn't go out and order on my own but in December I'll be back on the Magic and will order again. They are covered in pesto and you don't have to dig them out of their shells.

Try it! You just might like them.

Hmmmm. I think I just might do that. Thanks!

When I did a search on Google I found pictures of them still in the shell (yikes!)

I'm sure they're very good, bit I don't think I could deal with shells. I don't know why. I have no problem eating lobster or oysters.

On NCL they are found in Le Bistro as an appetizer. They are baked in an escargot plate, not shells. Each fat and tasty little snail in it's own little hole, covered in butter and garlic. Yum. I have heard that they are also on some of the MDR menus on the Away class ships, cooked differently, but I did not see them on the Getaway.

Butter and garlic sounds good. Guess I'll just have to put my big girl panties on and try them. Maybe they'll become my "cruise only" food too. :)

Thanks!!

I like to try new stuff and always look to see what others are eating.

I saw a young hispanic couple both eating pork and beans on their eggs a few cruises back. (I have no idea where they were from, could've been Nebraska for all I know. So that may or may not be a cultural breakfast dish.)

I tried it the next morning. I didn't personally care for it, but the pork and beans wasn't that good and I think you know how the eggs are on a cruise ship. I've been tempted to try it at home whenever I see pork and beans at the store.

Not quite the same but UK supermarkets have varieties of this:

heinz-beans-with-pork-sausages.jpg

I agree with the comment about Salmon cheese bagels. I don't consider them a treat either as the ingredients are so cheap at home (£3 for a good sized pack). I do like to put egg in with mine though and not capers. I also love a thin slice of apple...goes well with salmon and cheese. :)

Brits do love HP Brown sauce as its apparently better with bacon although I am more a ketchup girl myself. Don't hate on British back bacon...you get much more tasty meat!

Edited by Velvetwater

This thread really opened up a whole food glossary of items that people look forward to eating on their cruise. I thought my beans on toast was an oddball item and we moved on to escargot.....lox and bagels.....lamb shanks......wiggly bacon......souffles.....etc.

By the way what is brown sauce instead of ketchup:confused:

Good thing I didn't ask about your fave pre-dinner drink :p

I know of only one local supermarket that carries cured salmon, costs over $50 per pound. I must have tried 7 brands of bagels before I found one that I liked. The original question was "What do you only eat on a cruise that you could just as easily buy and eat at home." There is nothing just as easily bought and eaten at home, that is one of the attractions of cruising - no grocery shopping, no food preparation, and no clean up.

What is the difference between cured and smoked salmon.

I don't know where you live but smoked salmon is available in cryo packs in everyone of our major markets. We can buy it fresh sliced in specialty markets and in a deli but I always have smoked salmon in my refrigerator. I would certainly venture to say the smoked salmon we get on ships is not hand sliced but rather comes out of the cryo packs.