What do yout only eat on a cruise.......

lahlah57

.......that you could just as easily buy and eat at home?

For myself, being an american, the pork and beans at breakfast buffet service always amused me. I asked someone what the deal was with this? They told me that the Australians have beans on toast for breakfast. Now, that was a few cruises ago and to this day.....that is a breakfast staple for me on every cruise. Beans on toast and I forgo that awful vat of tasteless scrambled eggs! :rolleyes:

Could be easily done at home but this outrageously simple item is my cruise special.

What's yours?

Kippers for breakfast on Princess (although I do once in a blue moon prepare these at home as well, they've been bumped to daily onboard since Princess got rid of their steel-cut oats for the mushy wallpaper paste oatmeal variant that must save them a fraction of a penny per bowl)

For myself, being an american, the pork and beans at breakfast buffet service always amused me. I asked someone what the deal was with this? They told me that the Australians have beans on toast for breakfast. Now, that was a few cruises ago and to this day.....that is a breakfast staple for me on every cruise. Beans on toast and I forgo that awful vat of tasteless scrambled eggs! :rolleyes:

Could be easily done at home but this outrageously simple item is my cruise special.

What's yours?

Are the pork & beans made from scratch?

Edited by CanadianDee

What's yours?

Beans served with breakfast usually are meatless. The better grocery chains, assuming they have a "British" section in their International Foods aisle, will stock Heinz beans made in England that are perfect for breakfast. Only ingredients are beans, vinegar, brown sugar and some other flavorings. (Look for a green can with 'Heinz' in large black letters).

Beans served with breakfast usually are meatless. The better grocery chains, assuming they have a "British" section in their International Foods aisle, will stock Heinz beans made in England that are perfect for breakfast. Only ingredients are beans, vinegar, brown sugar and some other flavorings. (Look for a green can with 'Heinz' in large black letters).

I'm quite sure I've seen those Heinz green cans with black lettering in our major supermarket.

Thankyou for this info! Always enjoy what other cultures eat in comparison to what I do. I think meatless every now and then is a healthy option.

When we first started traveling to Europe, decades ago, we were so surprised to see platters of cold cuts set out in hotel buffet breakfasts. We'd never seen anyone eat sliced deli ham, salami etc and slices of cheese for breakfast. Many Europeans have a hard roll and a few slices of cold cuts, a slice of cheese and Strong coffee for their breakfast. DH decided he rather liked it, too. :)

I never enjoyed yogurt very much until I had it for breakfast in Athens. I learned what yogurt should taste like and learned to really enjoy it. I now use it on dry cereal with berries for breakfast some days.

So much of the joy of travel is learning from the customs and habits of people in other countries. It is so broadening and makes us so much more tolerant of a different way of living and doing things.

We eat a lot of fish.

Where we live we are concerned about fresh seafood so we make up for that on each cruise.

Keith

Almost all the fish you have on cruise ships embarking/debarking in U.S. ports serve frozen fish. Can't you get frozen fish in your area?

I live in Boston, certainly lots of wonderful fish here, and even still some in the markets is marked 'previously frozen'. I prefer the fresh, of course, but often the frozen is actually better seeing it is often frozen right at sea as soon as it is caught.

When we first started traveling to Europe, decades ago, we were so surprised to see platters of cold cuts set out in hotel buffet breakfasts. We'd never seen anyone eat sliced deli ham, salami etc and slices of cheese for breakfast. Many Europeans have a hard roll and a few slices of cold cuts, a slice of cheese and Strong coffee for their breakfast. DH decided he rather liked it, too. :)

I never enjoyed yogurt very much until I had it for breakfast in Athens. I learned what yogurt should taste like and learned to really enjoy it. I now use it on dry cereal with berries for breakfast some days.

So much of the joy of travel is learning from the customs and habits of people in other countries. It is so broadening and makes us so much more tolerant of a different way of living and doing things.

Why am I getting so hungry:confused:

Kippers for breakfast on Princess (although I do once in a blue moon prepare these at home as well, they've been bumped to daily onboard since Princess got rid of their steel-cut oats for the mushy wallpaper paste oatmeal variant that must save them a fraction of a penny per bowl)

If they save a half penny a bowl, and they serve 500 bowls per day that would be 5 dollars a day per ship which is 90.00 per day fleet wide or $32,000.00 per year. Add to that the other 82 ships owned by Carnival Corp and you are up to 18,250,000 bowls per year or a savings of $91,250.00. Imagine what the tips add up to.. I don't have much to do on a Sunday. ]happy cruising

Nothing.

I eat out and cook quite a lot at home so always making sure I get a variety.

I tend to eat more fish on a cruise though, the sea air tells me to.

We indeed love black pudding (blood sausage) and beans on toast here (often with cheese on top!) although instead of streaky bacon we prefer back bacon with more meat and less fat...I think the US calls it Canadian bacon.

Edited by Velvetwater

If they save a half penny a bowl, and they serve 500 bowls per day that would be 5 dollars a day per ship which is 90.00 per day fleet wide or $32,000.00 per year. Add to that the other 82 ships owned by Carnival Corp and you are up to 18,250,000 bowls per year or a savings of $91,250.00. Imagine what the tips add up to.. I don't have much to do on a Sunday. ]happy cruising

That argument only works when there is no other alternative but eat it or eat nothing rather than change to a more expensive option. I can't imagine that ANY other breakfast item costs less than oatmeal, even if it's the good stuff. While I'm sure that many, perhaps even most, would just shrug and say 'good enough' to the mushy stuff even a very small % of people shifting as I did to a pricier item is going to eat up the savings differential between good oats and cheap - maybe even end up a larger spend overall. I'm eating an extra 5 imported-from-Scotland kippers a week just by myself!