Steak

Tennessee Titan

I see a lot of comments/criticisms about steak, running the gamut from excellent to shoe leather.

What follows is IMHO.

I usually eat my steak rare. Any steak ordered well done will probably be tough.

I find the MDR steaks (rare) very good if they are not overcooked. Steak in the Pinnacle is usually a little better because it is a different cut of meat. The filet in the Tamarind is to die for....

Had a filet (med rare) from the PG on my first HAL cruise last week. I was very disappointed, steak was very tough, worse than in the MDR. Had heard how good the PG was but it was the worst steak I've ever had at a specialty restaurant on a cruise. My wife had the bone-on ribeye and it was fair. Maybe we just hit a bad night but prefer the steakhouses on RCCL and Celebrity.

My experience with steak entrees in both the MDR and PG is mixed. Personally, I think who the ship's Executive Chef is and maybe who is the Chef at the PG is an important factor.

The best steak entree I have ever had in the PG was at the La Cirque Dinner on the Noordam. I order Medium Rare and the beef was prepared exactly as ordered, was tender and juicy, and had a good beefy flavor. I was very pleased.

Weve mostly had good steaks in the Pinnacle but the beef in the dining room has really gone downhill with cheaper cuts of meat served. "Strip loin" is served multiple different ways on board but it is the cheapest cut of steak at my local meat market.

Family members like steak more than I do.

We patronize land based premium steak houses and occasionally get a bad steak, it can happen.

I see a lot of comments/criticisms about steak, running the gamut from excellent to shoe leather.

What follows is IMHO.

I usually eat my steak rare. Any steak ordered well done will probably be tough.

I find the MDR steaks (rare) very good if they are not overcooked. Steak in the Pinnacle is usually a little better because it is a different cut of meat. The filet in the Tamarind is to die for....

I think they are as tough as your team is playing against my Tampa Bay Bucs right now. 35-7 at half. Oh my !

What is the rest of the meal like with the chateaubriand?

The Butternut Squash Soup was not something that I would order again. But, others love it. All other courses were excellent and the service matched the food.

My absolute best shipboard specialty restaurant experience was on Celebrity Eclipse in their Tuscan Grille. Once for dinner and again for lunch. It still ranks a bit higher in my opinion than PG with the chateaubriand. But, I do plan on booking Le Cirque again on the Statendam next week, if it is offered.

Weve mostly had good steaks in the Pinnacle but the beef in the dining room has really gone downhill with cheaper cuts of meat served. "Strip loin" is served multiple different ways on board but it is the cheapest cut of steak at my local meat market.

We patronize land based premium steak houses and occasionally get a bad steak, it can happen.

I also patronized a premium steakhouse where I had been very satisfied in the past. I ordered a Prime Rib-Eye, Medium Rare, that was the worst piece of beef I ever had at such an establishment. The Manager on Duty came by to ask about my dinner and I "unloaded" on him. I was properly compensated for my displeasure.

At least for the Pinnacle Grill, it is my understanding that the provider of beef entrees changed from Sterling Silver to a different company, a Washington State firm, I think: Double R Ranch, if I recall the name correctly. I wonder if this is having an influence on people's opinions on the beef being served on a HAL vessel.

I think this is correct. Previously, the cattle used to provide the beef were corn-fed. The new company supplies beef from cattle that are grass-fed.

"Strip loin" is served multiple different ways on board but it is the cheapest cut of steak at my local meat market.

Your local meat market doesn't sell round? Or chuck? Both are cheaper cuts of meat than strip.

Strip is from the loin, and is a good cut of beef.

Wow! you must have some meat market. Strip loin is a very good cut of meat in Canada. For whatever reason I prefer a prime rib or a tenderloin, but striploin is NOT the cheapest cut of meat. It is up there above sirloin steak, at least here, I guess things differ where you are

The Butternut Squash Soup was not something that I would order again. But, others love it. All other courses were excellent and the service matched the food.

My absolute best shipboard specialty restaurant experience was on Celebrity Eclipse in their Tuscan Grille. Once for dinner and again for lunch. It still ranks a bit higher in my opinion than PG with the chateaubriand. But, I do plan on booking Le Cirque again on the Statendam next week, if it is offered.

Hmmmm not fond of the soup myself. What was plated with chateaubriand? The menu I saw said horseradish flan and sweet and sour beets which I can't quite picture

Hmmmm not fond of the soup myself. What was plated with chateaubriand? The menu I saw said horseradish flan and sweet and sour beets which I can't quite picture

It doesn't sound good, but the soup is lovely :)

I don't remember having the beets with my chateaubriand. I do remember it was very good and leaving the PG with a big smile on my face.

If there is something you really don't want, trust me, you can make a change ;)

There's a picture here. My beloved Evernote Food app is going away at the end of the month, so look quick!

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s88/l/AFjRtkPRCRpMAobqlrp5mZgvTvO14FqNvMAA

/

If by sweet and sour beets you mean what we call 'Harvard beets', they are wonderful (to my taste). My Mom made Harvard beets and I still remember them from when I was a kid. I have to see if I have her recipe. :)

If by sweet and sour beets you mean what we call 'Harvard beets', they are wonderful (to my taste). My Mom made Harvard beets and I still remember them from when I was a kid. I have to see if I have her recipe. :)

Mmm... Beets!