O air route LA to Miami

Hawaiidan

Dan. Hard to say as their contracts change yearly.

Likely a red eye without a deviation. American would be a likely choice due their hub in Mia.

Why not just take the credit and purchase your flights. Might be cheaper when you consider the deviation.

I agree that not burning FF miles on domestic is a good choice.

Edited by PaulMCO

I agree, never use you miles for domestic flights, just to many great deals you can purchase direct from the airline. The big benefit is you pick the time you want to go, plus you may beable to buy and upgrade at check-in or when booking.

Rick

Edited by ronrick1943

I agree, never use you miles for domestic flights, just to many great deals you can purchase direct from the airline. The big benefit is you pick the time you want to go, plus you may beable to buy and upgrade at check-in or when booking.

Rick

Thanks all.. I will look at buying...

Just for grins,to compare spending miles for domestic vs.using it for international. example spend 50,000 miles and get a rt LAX to NY value: $ 495.00 incoach vs spend 57,000miles and get Palm Springs to Frankfurt Germany and on to Malta, business class lieflat seats value $ $8,350.00

That's a $7,850 savings using miles internationaly or a $7850 waste if used domestically !!!

We, too, live in SOCAL. I have found some great deals to the East Coast, flying with JetBlue, Southwest and Virgin America, to name a few. We never use our miles for these flights because we can often times get them quite "cheap."

Denise

Edited by nyfeds

We have avoided the American "red eye" by flying into Fort Lauderdale (FLL), lots of options there. Spend the nite there and shuttle down to MIA port for $20+ a head. Better lodging in FLL, and easy peazy to the MIA port from there.

+1. we never do MIA if it can be avoided

Hi, Dan! Agree with last post to avoid MIA if possible, but check out Jet Blue fares from LAX to FLL. We fly them domestically when we can add on "Even More"...that gives seat with loads of legroom, 2 free bag allowance and (best part) expedited security lines & boarding. And most times the center seat is not occupied. If "Even More" doesn't show, they may call it "Blue Flex" on your longer domestic route. (So worth it: we just flew this way in comfort for $200/each LESS than steerage on UA.)

And thanks for the info about the airflow on the 747!

Sandi

O was offering $350 pp air credit and I could get on UAL on a 787 out of LAX a rt flight for $300 !!! and as a premier guy I get a comp up grade for my wife and I. Blue wanted close to $390 and Virgin $460 and that was into FFL. and then having to get to Miami port plus no good hotels near the airport.

I may be alone but I like Miami...I have my Marriott right there which serves a mean Cuban sandwich.

( I have 3 constants in my shallow and empty life...fly United, Sleep at Marriott, Cruise on Oceania )

I like one of those - guess which one? :D

Not all bad - 1 out of 3 :)

I am 3 of 3.

Maybe Paul you should feel sorry for us -- especially the UA side :D

The way I look at it -- I have over 3 years in Marriott Beds (lifetime platinum)

I also have 6 round trips to the moon on UA (lifetime 1K)

Or you can say I wasted a lot of time in the air and in hotels :)

I am 3 of 3.

Maybe Paul you should feel sorry for us -- especially the UA side :D

The way I look at it -- I have over 3 years in Marriott Beds (lifetime platinum)

I also have 6 round trips to the moon on UA (lifetime 1K)

Or you can say I wasted a lot of time in the air and in hotels :)

Well, you know me - I like my free nights and free flights :D

Marriott is OK per se but their redemption rates (and annual free nights) are terrible and getting worse.

I bet my money (or CCs :D) on AA a long time ago - for better or worse. I am LT Plat with CC promotions alone, not with flying (can't do that with UA) :D

All airline & hotel programs are getting worse & worse - let's hope O doesn't follow. :)

When Howard was working (which entailed much travel) we had zillions of Marriott points as well as airline miles ...

Gone are the days, sigh ...

Loved the Zurich Mariott at the concierge level ...

Mura

I likeUA because they pretty much go everywhere...I mean Palm Springs to Malta..... and to do so in Business/ first for 57000 miles !!!! plus like to keep 700 to 800,000 UA miles in the bank for mobility Been a 1K to no K and it pays off... And I can fly out of Palm Springs !!!

Now As a Marriott platinum....I really like the up grade to suites and exec lounge where ever.... Last year I took my wife to Vegas for her birthday and Marriott gave us a 1500 sq ft suite.... Then when I got married a way back when, I got a card from Bill Marriott himself with a offer for a complementary suite at The London Grosvenor and The Prince De Gaul in Paris, each for 5 days!! Needless to say I was impressed... The local managers filled the room with flowers and finger food and fruits...Yea I was impressed Thus I sleep at home on a Marriott bed... and am loyal.....they treat you well world wide with reliability. In Little Rock this summer, the manager personally made room for me in a sold out hotel... Impressive

Now Oceania ..... a class ship with a class fellow passengers who whether a fortune 500CEO or a Plumber are a well mannered group and low key genuinely interesting ...no look at me types.... well very, very few ( there was this guy on my last cruise that wanted everyone to know he wasin a top suite and how they brought him special berrys every day for hisbreakfast) Outstanding value for the dollar