Update about the Baby Born of Independence

AARONCOOL

I

ALSO, the captain should have been notified AS SOON as the baby was delivered alive. Who knows how many more precious hours/minutes could have been saved if he had known earlier and was doing max speed all the way to San Juan.

RCCL is lucky that this story had a good outcome. Had the outcome been different, the lack of communication between the medical staff and the bridge could have been seen as a cause of the poor outcome.

I'm thinking this would have been a good case for a helo evac - I'm assuming there are/were helo assets in PR to do this and would have gotten back to San Juan much faster than the increased speed got them. If the diff in the baby making it was the two extra hours gained by the increased speed of the ship, it could have been even easier/faster with a helo. I have to assume there was some issue preventing this or given some of the story, simple miscommunication from med staff on board and others.

I'm thinking this would have been a good case for a helo evac - I'm assuming there are/were helo assets in PR to do this and would have gotten back to San Juan much faster than the increased speed got them. If the diff in the baby making it was the two extra hours gained by the increased speed of the ship, it could have been even easier/faster with a helo. I have to assume there was some issue preventing this or given some of the story, simple miscommunication from med staff on board and others.

As many maritime professionals have reported here, they don't land helicopters on moving ships. They use the wench and basket.... so don't think that would work.

As a former paramedic, we have moved many a premmie. They would need a special unit and an neonatal team to move the baby, then the mom... None of that could happen in two hours. Oh and it was the middle of the night.

But they almost certainly WERE liars. You cannot be 23 weeks and any days to board. (can't enter the 24th week, and that's 23 weeks x days)

People generally call it full term at that mark when they are excusing plans to kick the baby out early. When saying the baby was x weeks early, they are almost certainly going from 40 weeks.

And a 23 week baby surviving in that situation and being able to be moved across the country so soon? No. A friend's baby was born at around 25 weeks, under 2 lbs, and he was doing AMAZINGLY well, but they still kept him in place, at the NICU, for nearly 2 months.

Some babies do well coming out early, other babies would not survive (my husband was born at 44 weeks and was under 9lbs...my son was rudely booted at 42 weeks 3 days and had signs of prematurity...both had rock solid dates). But 23 weeks, on a cruiseship, with hours of delay to get to any sort of hospital? Nah. That was no 23 week baby.

They said they are staying in Miami until he stabilizes and hoping to go back to Utah in about a month.

As many maritime professionals have reported here, they don't land helicopters on moving ships. They use the wench and basket.... so don't think that would work.

As a former paramedic, we have moved many a premmie. They would need a special unit and an neonatal team to move the baby, then the mom... None of that could happen in two hours. Oh and it was the middle of the night.

Some ships do have helipads and I have seen a helicopter land on a ship. Many maritime professionals woud tell you that. As a matter of fact Indeendence of the Seas has one. See the video below. No doubt though they had good reasons not to do a helicopter rescue.

I don't know if this has already been shared.. but I just seen this on Yahoo and wanted to link it for you guys interested.

http://news.yahoo.com/1-1-2-pound-baby-born-cruise-ship-222950032.html

The 3 things I noticed in it are: "Her doctor approved the cruise to celebrate her daughter's third birthday, Morgan said." and "so she was shocked when the contractions began just past the halfway mark in her pregnancy." and "Dec. 19 due date"

There was so many arguments on how far along she was, so just linking that for those that care.... but personally, it doesn't matter to me.. and I just want to say congrats to the family and I am glad the baby is doing well and he'll have a neat story to tell one day!

Edited by beccaseraph7

I'd still love to know how premature the baby was and if the parents weren't honest about how far along she was before boarding. It's curiosity but it also shows that not asking for proof can lead to more incidents like this.

Here's a link to an article which appeared in today's Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/09/25/far-from-a-hospital-a-1-5-pound-miracle-preemie-is-born-on-a-cruise-ship-and-survives/

The article states the baby was born at 23 weeks and that the family went on the cruise with the permission of the mother's doctor.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

As many maritime professionals have reported here, they don't land helicopters on moving ships. They use the wench and basket.... so don't think that would work.QUOTE]

What sort of wench do they use? A serving wench or a bedding wench?:D

Sorry, just had to poke you with a stick on that one. I'm sure you meant "winch and basket"

Thank you for the link with updates on the baby. We too were on the cruise and have thought about the young family and little ones often. We have been on cruises where women miscarried so to be born so early and at sea is truly a miracle. We wish them the best.

Having read the first news report which stated that the baby was removed from its mother. I am pondering why (unless she requested not to see the baby). When any baby is born that is not likely to survive it is better to give it to the mum so she can make some memories.

It was mentioned that some feel, by what they say the Captain said, that it wasn't until he was informed the baby was alive, that he picked up speed. But that may not be true. He may have already been going top speed, when he heard the baby was coming. I am sure he would want to get the mom somewhere safe, as soon as possible, since the ship medical unit, isn't really a delivery room.
Also, since the baby was so premature, maybe they didn't think the baby was going to make it, and that was why they said he didn't make it. That might not be the right thing to do, but again, they aren't a delivery unit and probably aren't equipped to handle premature birth's.

It sounds like everything turned out well, and hopefully the baby will live a healthy, long life, with a great birth story to tell.

As a high risk OB nurse I don't ever recommend cruising past 20 weeks even though the cruise lines allow 3 more weeks. So many things can happen that can be handled if near a hospital with a NICU. I'm glad this baby is doing well but it has a long road ahead of it with many possible long term problems if it survives. It would have had a much better long term outcome if delivered in a hospital with a NICU. They also may have been able to stop her labor at least long enough to give the baby steroids for lung development. I wish the whole baby moon trend had never started. I've taken care of a lot of patients that wew visiting from out of town who ended up not getting to go home.

I was just on the Carnival Pride and there were two VERY pregnant young women on there. I was surprised they got aboard especially since they asked both my sister and I if we were pregnant(we are in our 50's). They said they have to question everyone.