Downfall to booking cruise & excursions early

chloes nana

Funny about a week ago I was hearing the virtues of booking early. How things change. I complain about this regularly only to be shot down. I'm just talking fact here. I don't need to be taken to task by the usual suspects.

Edited by cruz chic

Funny about a week ago I was hearing the virtues of booking early. How things change. I complain about this regularly only to be shot down. I'm just talking fact here. I don't need to be taken to task by the usual suspects.

well honey I will get you some body armor and we can hang together, I just feel this is poor business practices. If I went to Walmart and found a better price even they would refund me the difference!

the fares are the same, not higher or lower, the same. It is the hassle of having to spend all the time I have already invested in rebooking all our excursions, 22 to exact, and rebuying all my OBC and extras.

What hassle? Your travel agent will do all the work and you gain $850. Sounds like a winner to me.

It is the reason that we never book early. Most often we book inside the final payment window. On average about 45 days out, sometimes much less if we are travelling in proximity to the embarkation port.

Over the past three or four years we have always been able to find reasonable international air. This sometimes requires flexibility as well but it also presents additional travel/sightseeing options.

Some cruise lines seem to 'feed' on their loyal customer base. To me it seems the result will eventually be an unappreciative shrinking customer base. It is why we like competition in the market.

I book early because I want a specific cabin and prefer to have what I want, rather than take my chances. I also book early so I can build the cost into my budget and pay for the cruise over time rather than all at once or putting it all on my credit card.

But, the real question to ask is, were you happy with the price for your cruise before you saw the deals? Before you saw the new deals, did you think it was a fair price for the cruise/excursions?

I stop looking at pricing for my cruises after I have booked and paid the deposit. I pay what I consider a reasonable price for what I want and I'm happy with that.

In your other shopping, do you go back to the stores every day to check to see if the items you just bought are on sale, and then complain about it if they are? Would you take back your chicken breasts because the store put them on sale the day after you bought them?

If you were happy when you agreed to the price, what the price is now hardly matters. Don't add to life's stress by worrying about price drops after you pay what you considered a fair price.

How?

Well, there is a website (not sure I can post a link) that tracks cruises and their costs and room availability.

HOWEVER, it's a bit misleading, as the percentage of availability is the percentage of CATEGORIES available, not ROOMS.

It's possible for a cruise with 40% availability to have more rooms open than a cruise with 100% availability.

For example, just for clarity, say a ship has 10 categories with 20 rooms in each category(200 rooms). As long as one room in every category is still available, it will show 100% availability, with only 10 rooms available. But, if 6 of the categories are fully booked, but no other categories having any reservations, the availability is now 40%, with 80 rooms available.

Well, there is a website (not sure I can post a link) that tracks cruises and their costs and room availability.

HOWEVER, it's a bit misleading, as the percentage of availability is the percentage of CATEGORIES available, not ROOMS.

It's possible for a cruise with 40% availability to have more rooms open than a cruise with 100% availability.

For example, just for clarity, say a ship has 10 categories with 20 rooms in each category(200 rooms). As long as one room in every category is still available, it will show 100% availability, with only 10 rooms available. But, if 6 of the categories are fully booked, but no other categories having any reservations, the availability is now 40%, with 80 rooms available.

Thanks.

I think I know which site you mean. A few people mentioned it to me lately. I thought there could be still another method. :o

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

I think I know which site you mean. A few people mentioned it to me lately. I thought there could be still another method. :o

Appreciate your help.

Well, I think that those people with connections to travel agents and such have other sources, but that's the only one I know (and that most people refer to).

I book early because I want a specific cabin and prefer to have what I want, rather than take my chances. I also book early so I can build the cost into my budget and pay for the cruise over time rather than all at once or putting it all on my credit card.

But, the real question to ask is, were you happy with the price for your cruise before you saw the deals? Before you saw the new deals, did you think it was a fair price for the cruise/excursions?

I stop looking at pricing for my cruises after I have booked and paid the deposit. I pay what I consider a reasonable price for what I want and I'm happy with that.

In your other shopping, do you go back to the stores every day to check to see if the items you just bought are on sale, and then complain about it if they are? Would you take back your chicken breasts because the store put them on sale the day after you bought them?

If you were happy when you agreed to the price, what the price is now hardly matters. Don't add to life's stress by worrying about price drops after you pay what you considered a fair price.

Actually, pretty much all our stores here will honour a price reduction if you go back with the receipt. I've done it many times.:) You don't need to take back the chicken breasts as long as you have the receipt. Don't they do that in Australia? Sorry for the thread drift, back to whatever.

Actually, pretty much all our stores here will honour a price reduction if you go back with the receipt. I've done it many times.:) You don't need to take back the chicken breasts as long as you have the receipt. Don't they do that in Australia? Sorry for the thread drift, back to whatever.

I also have gone to stores with my receipt if it is more than a little money involved. If I am going in that direction anyway, I will bring my receipt and have never been refused a refund or at least a store credit.

you should read a little closer: " Prepaid gratuities are based on the pre-payment by Holland America Line on behalf of the guest the suggested Hotel Service Charge including gratuities in the amounts of $12 per day for Suites and $11.50 per day for Interior, Ocean-view and Verandah staterooms and are based on promo VH". So you see it i$12 pp per day, and I am on a 34 day cruise, so you see that adds up to $850, not $161. And my cruise of 34 days is included, so it is not just 7 day cruises, it is a 7 day sale. and as I stated at only 38% full for next March, these are not the leftovers.

Thanks for the anology of food and cars to cruising. Necessities to an extravagance is not the samel

Where does it state for your entire cruise they will pay for your gratuities? This is exactly what it says in the blurb for each area..

Quote More Savings

For one week only, receive prepaid gratuities on Ocean-view and above staterooms! Plus, book a suite and receive 100 free internet minutes! (learn more) Unquote

No where in this notice does it state prepaid Gratuities for your entire cruise.. My cruise is actually on the list.. I did not look at the other lists.. Guess you checked & your cruise is also on the list but I still think you are not interpreting it correctly..

Also can't imagine that other cruise lines would return $$$ for bookings which were made prior to the sale..IMO they would go broke if they had to do this for every booking.. Normally sales are for new bookings only, but HAL only said that reduced deposits are for new bookings only..N othing about Grat's. IMO it's very confusing & not clearly stated..

But if you are correct, then you should get it clarified by a Management Employee!

Call back and talk to someone else. I've found its all a matter of who you speak to. Once when they offered Explore 4, the first person told me I'd need to rebook which I knew was false. I called and got someone else and they added the promo to my existing booking. If needed, ask for a supervisor and take it up the chain of command. I've found that they don't want you to cancel and are willing to work to not have that happen. It's crappy customer service on their part but if it saves you $850 it's worth it.

OK, I can understand why some like to lock in a cabin early and some choose to gamble on what cabin they get in order to potentially save money at the last minute. OK, fine - it is a preference and somewhat of a gamble either way. We all know this. So, why is there so much "gnashing of teeth" when you make your choice and "lose" the gamble????? Next time you might win!! Anyone who has traveled much or follows CC should certainly know that sometimes "good or great" deals are for "New reservations only". Why the shock, awe and anger? Make your choice (lock cabin in early and possibly lose the opportunity for a better deal or wait and gamble that if prices do go down a better cabin price will be yours in the end.

Edited by wander

Just another thought, how is the practice of having the sales/special deals apply to new bookings only any different than non-cruise company's sales/special deals applying to new customers only?

Sometimes you can get the special pricing by asking nicely, but sometimes the only way to get them is to cancel your service and re-enroll as a new a customer.

This is why I'm glad I have my own local TA. She got the same answer as OP when she called her HAL rep. about our upcoming Oosterdam 3 day Pacific Coast cruise. We were originally booked in a Category F to save some $$. She pressed saying that we were loyal customers and had taken several upsells. The answer was still no, but she kicked it up a level. We ended up with a SZ guarantee for $40. apiece! Now the SYs are under the Lido, but hey, that's better than 3 cabins from the showroom. She did this on her own. I didn't ask her to. She knew that we were in France at the time and just went ahead and did it. AND she paid the $80 from the company's funds and won't let me pay her back.

I'm normally cool with being happy with my decision about when I book. We book both early and late. And I have a great TA!

Edited by shrimp56

Call back and talk to someone else. I've found its all a matter of who you speak to. Once when they offered Explore 4, the first person told me I'd need to rebook which I knew was false. I called and got someone else and they added the promo to my existing booking. If needed, ask for a supervisor and take it up the chain of command. I've found that they don't want you to cancel and are willing to work to not have that happen. It's crappy customer service on their part but if it saves you $850 it's worth it.

I agree this has happened to us call again tell them your going to cancel and rebook to save see if there answer changes if they say no again ask to speak to a supervisor. It can't hurt to try